Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 25-11-2007, 08:36   #1
weehamster

Default [article] €2bn rail link to go ahead despite working 'ghost line'

www.independent.ie

Quote:
€2bn rail link to go ahead despite working 'ghost line' existing Victorian line could be used to service some of the capital's most densely populated areas
Tools
By Tom Prendeville

A new underground Dart service linking Heuston Station to the Docklands which is scheduled to cost €2bn is set to go ahead -- despite the fact the two destinations are already linked by a fully functioning but little used railway known as "The Ghost Line". The existing high speed railway travels from Heuston through the Phoenix Park tunnel before surfacing again and travelling through Cabra, Phibsboro, Drumcondra and onto Connolly Station and on to the Docklands.

The neglected rail link is fully functioning and occasionally carries freight and is used to shunt locomotives between Dublin's two main railway stations.

Now a rail user lobby group have questioned the vast amount of money which is earmarked for a new tunnel under the city when the old Victorian railway line could be used to service some of the city's most densely populated areas.

"They are wasting an incredible asset and instead ploughing vast sums of money into a new inter-connector tunnel," said Derek Wheeler of Rail Users Ireland. "The rail lines have been there for over one hundred years and have carried passenger trains in the past and are begging to be used again. It is a rapid rail service that can be up and running within a year. The whole system is just about ready to go."

In the past, the Phoenix Park tunnel was portrayed as an unsuitable, crumbling and leaky vestige of Victorian engineering. But in reality the tunnel was engineered to the highest standards and is vast and cavernous. Approximately 757 yards in length, it was built to accommodate two wide gauge 9 foot 10 inch trains travelling in either direction.

"Transit time to either Connolly or the North Wall from Heuston would be about 10 to 12 minutes and the Phoenix Park route would have the benefit of servicing a lot of densely populated areas," said Wheeler.

"Currently, the lines through the Phoenix Park are fully signalled to passenger standards, with signal spacing adequate to support trains at approximately five minute intervals in both directions." However, Iarnrod Eireann insists that the Phoenix Park route is a non runner and would only add to the congestion at Connolly Station:

"The Phoenix Park tunnel is currently used for freight services and special train services, particularly during the GAA season," said spokesperson, Barry Kenny. "Using the park tunnel would result in cancellations of other services. Connolly station is at full capacity at peak times, and using the park tunnel in this way would not generate any additional commuter capacity in the greater Dublin area. Kildare services could not serve Heuston without an additional platform and track work being provided there, and could not serve docklands without track modifications at a multi-million euro cost."

Three years ago, Iarnrod Eireann had an entirely different view. On February 25 2004, Joe Maher, the then chief executive of the company told the Dail Transport Committee: "We certainly intend to use the park tunnel in the short-term to bring trains from the Kildare/Newbridge area into Spencer Dock because there is demand for that."

Meanwhile, Transport 21's proposed inter-connector tunnel which would extend the Dart service to Heuston and onwards to Park West, Adamstown and Hazelhatch is being hailed as a panacea to all the city's public transport needs. In 2003, it was estimated that the new inter-connector would cost €1.3bn. However, the cost of major infrastructure projects have a history of spiralling out of control, and some critics have suggested that the new tunnel could eventually end up costing €2bn.
Emm... can somebody please explain to me what is this

Now I know all about the PPT or the 'The Ghost Line' (never heard of that term before) and RUI/P11 campaign (one of the first) to use this for the Commuter service and I this my full support.

However, going by this report, it looks like to me that RUI are (in some way) Anti-Interconnector, that it shouldn't be built and that the PPT should be used instead.

This is the first time the figure of €2b has popped up since a certain former Fine Gale spokesperson for transportation used it in a few letters she sent to the Irish Times.

Please tell me that this is just another case of bad Indo reporting.
Unread 25-11-2007, 10:45   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

1. Policy has has been that the Park Tunnel should be used

2. Irish Rail gave a undertaking before a Dail committee to use it

3. They lied and didn't follow through

4. The longer we wait the higher the price

Its very clearly stated http://www.railusers.ie/campaigns/phoenix_tunnel/
Unread 25-11-2007, 11:57   #3
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

I think the tone of the article implies that we do not need the Interconnector which is certainly not the case.
Unread 25-11-2007, 12:18   #4
KSW
Really Regular Poster

I would love to see the ghost line being used. Connolly-Newbridge/Kildare after all Connolly station is alot closer to the city center... You could have the odd service from Galway or Cork etc arriving in at Connolly's platfrom 2,3 or 4 and departing Connolly. The inter-connector we need there's no fighting on that. All the city center stations should be linked up.
Unread 25-11-2007, 15:26   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The issue at hand is the interconnector is either likely to be cancelled due to cash running out in T21 or that is will arrive sometime after 2015. Thats 8 years away and things are getting really bad now we need some action http://www.railusers.ie/transport21

All T21 costs are presented as 2004 prices but our investigation shows that cost inflation is included in the overal budget http://www.railusers.ie/transport21/costs.php

We need to make the best use of the resources to hand and its a crazy situtation to have a two track passenger line in Dublin city lying idle. http://www.railusers.ie/campaigns/phoenix_tunnel/

Together with our collegues in the DART for Lucan we have shown that for passengers arriving in Heuston even with 40m trams and more buses there is nowhere near the capacity to move people into the city as the Kildare route project hits. That has been noted by the public inquiry and a study commissioned.

If 2 trains per hour operated to Docklands (not Connolly) from the Kildare line that would make a huge difference, also serve Drumcondra, Docklands serves the IFSC and is only 15 minute walk to Merrion Square, back of TCD and so on places where people want to go. IE promised both verbally and in writing and where funded, even gave a date for the service to start

Barry Kenny of course has his stuck record line of no capacity in Connolly, none in needed, though funny he says it can't take any more so what of the 1 extra inbound and 1 extra out in the morning rush from Jan 20 2008?

We believe that one platform in Docklands could be connected to the Drumcondra line though the purchase of a small plot of land off Ossery Rd. Cobh operates with a single platform and no current Dockland services use the second platform so there is no practical problem. IE of course cite the need to rebuild Glasnevin Junction, they don't and if they had done the job right we wouldn't be here

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 25-11-2007 at 15:31.
Unread 25-11-2007, 16:45   #6
ofjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The issue at hand is the interconnector is either likely to be cancelled due to cash running out in T21 or that is will arrive sometime after 2015. Thats 8 years away and things are getting really bad now we need some action http://www.railusers.ie/transport21
Is there any validity in the notion that IE's reluctance to use the PPT for regular commuter services is founded on the fear that doing so would result in politicians killing of the interconnector??

Also, on the subject of killing off the interconnector, I'd like to ask Mark G just how sceptical he IS that this project will actually proceed under T21???
Unread 25-11-2007, 20:15   #7
Prof_Vanderjuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofjames View Post
Is there any validity in the notion that IE's reluctance to use the PPT for regular commuter services is founded on the fear that doing so would result in politicians killing of the interconnector??
I don't think IÉ can really maintain that position in the context of their Broadstone proposal. (BTW, I agree with what weehamster and Mark Hennessy said re the tone of the article.)
Unread 25-11-2007, 20:37   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We got a situation where all the informed commentators, us, Frank McDonald, James Wickham and so all agree that the interconnector is essential and should be going ahead before anything else.

So why is it last on the list?

IE don't seem to be in much of a hurry, they did consultation in first week July, no word since, compare that to the RPA. Clearly to us indicates no hurry and going on the past experience its certainly at the DoT level calling the shots.

Its the usual sensational Sunday Indo, but senior IE people still have to answer for misleading the joint committee, they got money to do the Park Tunnel Docklands service and the public left stranded in Heuston have a right to answers

And of course there is more going on in the background

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 25-11-2007 at 20:46.
Unread 25-11-2007, 22:23   #9
CSL

Like I've been thinking for a while, a lot of this is more interesting to look at which dogs are not barking.

The recent Dail statement contained a couple of mentions on the interconnector but interestingly nothing on how and when funding would be thrown in.
Unread 25-11-2007, 22:56   #10
Derek Wheeler

May I call for some calm please. This was my last gig as spokesperson. I spoke long and hard to the Journalist in question. I have a very deep interest in the PPT. RUI's stance on the interconnector is well documented. This article is open to interpretation, but does not state in any way that we are against the interconnector.

The PPT has once again been put back on the map. Thats the important point. Finally, all articles will always be worked in favour of what an editor wants. We've been here before. I believe that this article was a fair trade off in terms of getting the PPT back in the news.

Mark has outlined that.

Personally, I don't believe the interconnector will be built by 2015 or even close.

Now in relation to my input into the article, let me explain. The point was made that up to 2 billion could be spent on the interconnector, but no money was provided to make the PPT work in the short or long term. A lot of the other stuff was taken from the site. I also and very openly question the very fact that the PPT route is receiving no investment under T21, while it runs through built up areas. If we are serious about getting the city moving, then this asset would be used. There are no more excuses. Interconnector or not the PPT should be used. End of story. Anyone who disagrees with that knows damn all about rail transport.

Last edited by Derek Wheeler : 25-11-2007 at 23:05.
Unread 25-11-2007, 23:57   #11
ThomasJ

Quick question, based on the resources that is currently allocated to kildare commuter trains adding twelve minutes each way isn't helping things is it? especially given that some of the trains serving hazelhatch, sallins, newbridge and kildare are locomotive hauled? surely additional carriages are needed for this?
Unread 26-11-2007, 10:23   #12
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

I fear the black art of media briefing is at work here. Play up the cost of the Interconnector; dangle the PPT "alternative" (we all know it not really a substitute); try to insinuate that RUI takes this view.

Also throw in remarks like "the cost of major infrastructure projects have a history of spiralling out of control" while failing to mention that this is no longer true for recent road projects and that rail projects have generally been within budget. Clearly designed to scare taxpayers off the Interconnector.

Having said all that, by all means make whatever limited use one can of the PPT, but for heaven's sake don't let it be used as a cop-out on the Interconnector issue.
Unread 26-11-2007, 11:16   #13
eugene

I agree, we dont want any misrepresentation here. Interconnector first, PPT second. Even at 2 billion euro for the tunnelling its still somewhat cheaper then Metro North. I'm fully in favor of every bit of track being used of course.
Unread 26-11-2007, 11:24   #14
CSL

Spin Spin Spin I think we can all see that , but who is the puppetmaster and why ? is it to play down Interconnector coz only MetroNorth will get the lolly ?
Unread 26-11-2007, 11:52   #15
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

the point is that the PPT and the Interconnector dont have to be alternatives.

Here's the spin: IE have a temporary station in Docklands. Yet they are against at worst a temporary line to it that will serve thousands of people.

When the DART Underground is up and running all the DARTS from Hazelhatch can use it, all the commuter railcars can go to Heuston or Connolly given that with DART underground there will no longer be a capacity issues (dont forget that DART underground comes in after DASH 2) - it makes perfect sense.

The costs of the PPT to be used in this way are a tiny fraction of the DART underground costs.

As for those costs, have a look at Cross-rail. In the early 90's it was costed as roughly £1 billion sterling. The Tory Government baulked at that. It was costed again in 2002 at over 10 bilion now its £16 bn simply because they waited far too long.

The same will happen again unless DART underground gets going real quick. Members will recall that we realised that unless something was started on it asap the whole project looked finished, lo and behold the same week we had the big announcement. Our realisation was based on some fairly straightforward reverse engineering on the timelines - it had to be announced pretty much that month or it was never going to make it. Since then, it's really slipping.

The DART underground should have been the first project to get going instead of the last. As usual we'll have everything leading into the city and nothing joining it up. Rather like the M50 in a decade or so they will suddenly reaslise they cocked it up, but by then those responsible in the DoT will have moved on and no-one will be accountable.
Unread 26-11-2007, 15:04   #16
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Mark will be on the Last Word tomorrow to discuss this.
Unread 26-11-2007, 15:48   #17
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Been back and forward and it appears we are on at 6:20 ish tonight
Unread 26-11-2007, 17:51   #18
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Mark, 6:20 ish tonight? On the radio or what? When I was a kid, I used to pass The Point on a regular basis to go to the UCI cinema long before Dun Laoghaire got the IMC. I used to pass a level crossing wondering what it was used for. This was before I saw Google Maps two or three years ago. To my surprise The Point, Docklands, and Connolly are all connected to the stretch of track which leads to the Phoenix Park Tunnel and on to Heuston Station with all its branches. The Luas link from Heuston to Connolly is being extended to the Docklands Station and then on to the Point. Fair enough, it passes central locations such as Jervis, O'Connell Street, Busaras and Connolly. The pathetic thing is, there is already infrastructure connecting The Point, Docklands and Connolly to Heuston.
Unread 26-11-2007, 18:29   #19
StephenM
Regular Poster

Barry Kenny and Mark are on at the moment. Barry is getting fairly worked up.
Unread 27-11-2007, 00:50   #20
Peter FitzPatrick
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday Independent Article
Now a rail user lobby group have questioned the vast amount of money which is earmarked for a new tunnel under the city when the old Victorian railway line could be used to service some of the city's most densely populated areas.

"They are wasting an incredible asset and instead ploughing vast sums of money into a new inter-connector tunnel".
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
This article is open to interpretation, but does not state in any way that we are against the interconnector.
No outright statements alright but the spin put on this by the Sunday Independent is very unfortunate.

Agreed 100% that the Pheonix Park Tunnel should be utilised & IE are increasingly contradicting themselves in their lame attempts to explain why it is not.

God knows where rail transport would be if IE didn't have RUI chomping at their heals, but I have to say that if you achieved nothing else but the construction of the interconnector in a reasonable time frame; this city/country would be substantially in your debt. Put simply, I feel it should be objective number one, even in the face of IE decisions that defy fiscal & practical logic.

Short of an outright recession, there is no reason why the interconnector cannot be funded when we have a surplus of 6.06bn over current spending in a 'bad year' coupled with a GDP to debt ratio of next to nil.
Closed Thread