Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-01-2006, 15:03   #1
ThomasS

Default Kent Station in Cork = Filthy Kip?

I have not been down there by train in a while so I am asking other people for confirmation. A client of mine was in Cork a few weeks back and went on the train from Dublin.

You should have hear him talk about the state of Kent station. He said the station building was basically squalor with litter everwhere and the toilets were the worst he had seen on public transport anywhere in Europe. Two French tourists he spoke to said the same and they were shocked by the conditions of the women's toilets in particular.

He also said that station staff were nowhere to be seen (it was a regualr friday) and that the rubbish bins in the station were overflowing and spilled on the ground in the main waiting area. That PA announcement were impossible to understand.

This guy is a pretty laid back and so I was amazed at how emotional he got talking about the state of Kent Station in Cork. As I said, I have not been there in a couple of years (and I recall it being a fairly tidy little station) and I was wondering if any Cork readers could confirm his impression of the place as it is now? Was he on the money or over the top?
Unread 03-01-2006, 22:24   #2
MrX
Really Regular Poster

I honestly haven't ever used IE station toilets and would avoid doing so at all costs based on the horrible experience of the Cork Bus station.

However, I have never found Kent station to be that filthy. It's certainly a bit run down compared to Heuston, but that's to be expected as it's due to be replaced in a few years so I'd be supprised if IE spent anything on it for the next while.

The car park could certainly do with a resurfacing too. You can step out of your car and find yourself ankle deep in water.

I have heard it said before though that IE toilets are absolutely disgusting in a few places.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2006, 23:09   #3
Derek Wheeler

The toilets in Kent are old more so than dirty. Its a pretty old station, but Ive never seen it filthy. Hopefully when the refurbishment is done it will be dragged into the 21st century as far as a 19th century building can be without demolishing it. As far as I can recall, the original bar and restaurant on the platform closed a few years back and was replaced by mobile type structures in the main concourse. Crap idea. Overall its just old, like Galway. Waterford had the benefit of a rebuild in the 60s. Limerick could do with a new roof on the train shed, but apart from that, is in good shape.

In my opinion Cork and the rest mentioned, as well as Sligo are clean, but ancient. Tralee, Westport and Ballina are hardly stations to begin with.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2006, 01:00   #4
MrX
Really Regular Poster

The plan I saw for the kent station site isn't to refurbish the old station at all. I think that the main building may be preserved and used for some other purpose, e.g. retail.

They seemed to be looking at a new station as part of a massive waterfront development along the quays. The station would face out on the water rather than in towards the lower glanmire road as the existing structure does.

The existing structure isn't really all that pretty either. It's quaint but I wouldn't go as far as to call it charming. It will end up as a frontage, but won't be the actual station.

Also, the two main platforms are curved and that's something that doesn't look like it's fixable without major alterations to the building. The whole shed above them is also curved.

A new modern station and preserving the old building as part of a new developement seems like the best way forward.

The proposed final product should look like this:
http://img79.echo.cx/img79/5141/982h...aymodel8rj.jpg

Access to the station is proposed to be via that huge courtyard area.

From Dept. of Transport press release:

In tandem with the development of Horgan's Quay, the Minister welcomed the decision by CIE to significantly upgrade Kent Station. Irish Rail plans the reorientation of Kent Station away from the current entrance on Glanmire Road to a new entrance facing the new development on Horgan's Quay and the city centre. The Minister said the upgrade will deliver improved access to the city centre and a strong integration of rail and bus services.

A facility of 3,000 square metres is planned at Kent Station, comparable in size to the main Heuston Station in Dublin. The customer facilities will include:

New ticket sales office;
New left luggage area;
New toilet facilities;
Improved passenger concourse;
Mobility impaired facilities
Improved retail facilities

Last edited by MrX : 04-01-2006 at 01:20.
Unread 04-01-2006, 10:32   #5
Kevin K Kelehan

I concur with Derek on this; I used Kent in August, September and October whilst doing a Cork based project; I saw regular cleaning of the platforms undertaken and observed real assistance being given to a disabled gent who arrived alone by taxi. The sidings towards the Glanmire Road have a few issues such a pile of scrap iron but that aside I'd give it a clean to european norms rating.

In relation to the image which I first saw about a year ago; it clearly displays that the current curved platforms will be retained although accessed from the Quay. Architecturally it looks like an early prototype drawing for a stealth bomber in terms of design quality and image detail; revised plans will be required to clear planning.
Kevin K Kelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2006, 13:19   #6
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

I'd go along with the 'not dirty, but run down theory'. Although, the tracks themselves could do with a clean-up.

The lighting needs improving. Surely, this can be done before any redevelopment. All it takes is replacing the bulbs with more powerful ones when they go.

Also, the glass portions of the roof need cleaning.

The path that provides pedestrian access is inadequate, particularly if you get people rushing for a commuter train just after a Dublin InterCity has arrived.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2006, 15:38   #7
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Replacing bulbs with more powerful ones often isn't an option. The wiring infrastructure supplying them wouldn't necessarily cope.

The station could do with a bit of a spruce up though. Although, it's understandable if it's only going to be in existance as-is for a very limited time that they wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on it.

There was some work done on the roof and there has been improvements e.g. the installation of internal and external digital clocks that are linked to the display board system.

They could give the station tracks a bit of a clean alright. Perhaps run a ballast cleaner over them (if IE have such a thing).

Someone's flushing in stations!!!!

Overall though Kent station's a very underwhelming entrance to our second city. You'd expect way more commercial outlets and a much more vibrant station generally.

It's in a very similar state to Heuston and Connolly before their refurbishments. I'd say it's similar to pearse - run down and underinvested in. Shame it's not living up to its potential. IE are fairly clueless when it comes to commercial development of stations themselves. Heuston's the only one that's remotely "on track"

Kent's a major retail opportunity for someone as the busiest non-dublin intercity station in Ireland by a long shot. Given that >3 million people travel Cork-Dublin per year and that figure's going to grow very rapidly as services and frequencies improve. Couple that to the increasing commuter traffic and you'll have a very busy station.

Last edited by MrX : 08-01-2006 at 11:08.