Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 23-05-2006, 16:08   #41
colmoc

So is the CDE going to run on the 9:00 dublin to cork service everyday
Whens the introduction of the next set.
Unread 23-05-2006, 16:16   #42
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmoc
So is the CDE going to run on the 9:00 dublin to cork service everyday
Whens the introduction of the next set.
9:00 Dublin Cork and 13:30 Cork Dublin all this week, it depends on the number of bugs that crop up and also on agreement of Cork drivers to drive

We should see another set in service within the next month but it depends on how things go. The key introduction day is the first citygold link
Unread 23-05-2006, 19:33   #43
Derek Wheeler

While the indo article is hardly a serious account of the MK4s inaugural passenger run, I thought it was funny as the author, decided to take a particular angle. It was at the expense of "trainspotters". So what? Nobody got hurt. I assume she did her research online. If any of us look at some of the chat rooms, message boards etc, that is the impression you will get.

I mentioned in another thread somewhere that "trainspotters" need a serious rebranding. Many of them (not all) are identical to the stereotype. Its not a cool hobby. It hasn't been since the 1950s perhaps. But its up to a younger generation to change that if they feel aggreived.

I get called a "trainspotter" because I represent a rail users group. In the modern world, anyone with even the slightest interest or knowledge in railways is branded one. Thats just ignorance. However, the image of the traditional "trainspotter" is poor and wide open to redicule. I believe it puts rail enthuasiasts off, in general, from admitting their interest.

Just my two cents worth and I still think the indo article was funny.
Unread 23-05-2006, 19:45   #44
sean

If that journalist wanted to be funny, she should have put on a clown costume.
Unread 24-05-2006, 01:03   #45
craigybagel
Regular Poster

Its bringing more ridicule to a pastime thats already embarrassing enough.
Unread 24-05-2006, 08:58   #46
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigybagel
Its bringing more ridicule to a pastime thats already embarrassing enough.
I agree. The article does nothing to help the locosexual image.

I did think it was amusing that it said "like to be called locosexuals" IIRC ThomasS made that up to abuse trainspotters.
Unread 24-05-2006, 09:18   #47
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

He did actually, but it sort of got out of controll (car) last week. Dont get me wrong, I like Miriam Lord's stuff usually, but it was a week bit corney.

And yes, my mates do call me a trainspotter, one in particular when drunk likes to ask what numbers I have ect,ect. And I wanted to be a lumberjack.
Unread 24-05-2006, 09:26   #48
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I'll admit the first thing I did when I got on board was to take a measuring tape out to measure the seating arrangements up, nerdy possibly but important to the passenger definitely

Key thing to note is I have never made a railway journey just because I could, there always was a need to make the journey.

End of the day the Indo sent someone to review the train and what we got was rubbish, I'm no english scholar but I could do a lot better without getting into cheap gags and pointless references, come on how much mileage can you get out of the toilet doors problem ?

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 24-05-2006 at 09:28.
Unread 24-05-2006, 09:54   #49
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Yeah but Mark you do it in the interests of the passangers, to ensure that what they are getting is at least as comfortable and user friendly as the carriages they are replacing, I'd be the same never got a train unless I was actually going somewhere and will frequently avoid getting one if I can!! I havent looked at some other place in a while will tonight if I get a chance to see what sort of review the CDE gets there.
Unread 24-05-2006, 11:52   #50
AZ1
Regular Poster

Default What Are The New Trains Replacing, and When?

Hi;
Nice to read all those accounts of the news train's inaugural journey.
What I'd like to know is does anyone out there know which train sets are scheduled for replacement by the first 2 new trains entering service, and when? So we can look forward (really soon) to fewer delays/breakdowns on mainline services. In other words, does IE have a plan whereby with each new train coming into service, a pre-defined older train is taken out of service? Thanks!
Unread 24-05-2006, 12:33   #51
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Put simply at the moment the only services covered by the new train are the 9:00 Dublin Cork and 13:30 Cork Dublin and it will be like that for the next week at least

Despite the spin from IE and the unions no Cork drivers are currently driving the new train nor will they be driving for some time. That somewhat restricts operations. At the moment only 1 of the trains is passenger serviceable, the second set can be made serviceable quickly. Point to note at this stage the CDE set coudl be withdrawn at a moments notice for modification, the suspension is due further work I'm told it can be a bit giddy towards the rear of the train (not an unknown issue with other trains as well)

You won't see any change in train reliability really as the locomotive at the front is the same, the on train experience should be better on the new train, far less likely to have broken AC, the kind of faults the existing coaches suffer from typically don't leave you stuck in the middle nowhere

I'm guessing here but the 5:30 Cork Dublin and 21:00 Dublin Cork could be second to switch over

Irish Rail do have a plan (and a order) for the use of the ex Cork Line trains which are released by the new trains, they will take over on Limerick and Galway eliminating the 1970's coaches which then go for scrap. Before that happens each set needs to be refurbished

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 24-05-2006 at 12:42.
Unread 24-05-2006, 14:29   #52
AZ1
Regular Poster

Thanks, Mark. However, your information couldn't have disappointed me more.
I thought these trains were to represent a jump forward on ALL fronts.
Sure, it's great that AC-related issues, etc., will occur less often, but that's a minor point given the overall service record on (un)reliability.
I gather from your answer that virtually all the improvements passengers will see relate to the carriages and are to an extent, cosmetic. So the engines - despite their sleek, curved front - are really the SAME as the old ones?
I saw on other posts there will be no speed increase.
Why was this model of engine chosen, since they will presumably be in service for quite a few years? Haven't IE done all sorts of track renovation and resignaling works over the past few years? I thought that now the system could now accommodate trains with a bit more power, etc.
I'm really disappointed by all this. I was looking forward to something a bit more innovative. Ciao.
Unread 24-05-2006, 14:48   #53
sean

All that has changed are the coach sets. They go from the 1984/1989 Mark 3 type to new "Mark 4" from CAF.

However, the new train still relies on a locomotive, and that is the same - the 201 class locomotive which powered the last coaches.

There will be no increase in speed as the tracks aren't fit for it, the new coaches have the same rated speed as the old ones.

Quote:
I thought that now the system could now accommodate trains with a bit more power, etc.
I'm really disappointed by all this. I was looking forward to something a bit more innovative.
Welcome to the Logic-Free Zone (CIE/Irish Rail)

No, OnTrack 2000 and the various overhauls before and after were mainly just maintaining the system at, or returning it to, a safe, operable condition. That said the Dub-Cork track was relaid a couple of decades ago and some of it is almost life-expired.

Last edited by sean : 24-05-2006 at 14:51.
Unread 24-05-2006, 14:49   #54
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

AZ1, you, like many others have made the mistake of thinking theres an engine at the pointy end, there isnt, its a generator for the lights, ect on the carraiges. This is great bit of spin form IE, albeit without them actually saying it. They have never said there is a new engine on the trains, however they havent gone out of their way to say there isnt either. Case in point their lovely tv ads whcih have pointy ends on both end!!!
Unread 24-05-2006, 15:05   #55
AZ1
Regular Poster

Wow! So you mean the train can't even do turnarounds and operate from both ends? They will still have to unhook and run around the train to go back? I canNOT believe it! Why?
Was all of this just a major PR exercise? All we get is new interior design?
A slightly smoother run, a good paint job, functioning A/C, but that's it?
Boy did I fall for it, Big Time.
Unread 24-05-2006, 15:11   #56
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its a bit of a suprise when you finally realise Irish Rail are not so upfront with information, bet you wish you took the blue pill and stayed in the dream world Irish Rail have created. I coined the phrase, the Barry Kenny reality distortion field is strong

The principle complaints on intercity are

Heating not working, too hot/too cold
Catering non existant
Seat booking doesn't work
Toilets not working
Leaking roof other interior matters

New train kills all those problems, but none of them are reliability effecting

With the exception of Heuston there has been a total of 0 euro in capital investment in signalling between Dublin and Cork, the track is worse now than 10 years ago, the emphasis has been on making sure it doesn't fall apart not on making it better.

During the strike through numerous radio interviews we were able to say that the train had a repainted 12 year engine on one end and that the control console in the pointy end was exactly the same (I saw a photo a few months back).

Note the existing (MK3) coaches on Dublin Cork are capable of 200kph just like the new ones and we are damn sure the old ones are a lot more comfortable at 200kph than the new ones. The ride in the new coaches is marginally worse than the old ones (that said the de facto ride standard in Ireland and UK is the MK3 and is unlikely to be beaten)

The only serious difference is the fact it can be driven from either end which saves a heap of time at terminus stations

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 24-05-2006 at 15:16.
Unread 24-05-2006, 15:17   #57
James Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ1
I gather from your answer that virtually all the improvements passengers will see relate to the carriages and are to an extent, cosmetic. So the engines - despite their sleek, curved front - are really the SAME as the old ones?
Not quite - the engine is the same old boxy locomotive. The sleek curvey bit at the other end is a generator van with a driving cab, but it just controls the locomotive at the other end. The only change to the loco is a new paint job.

In fairness, the 201s are fairly reliable these days. The did have a problem with the Enterprise coaches sucking the life out of them, but that seems to have been largely resolved. There's no guarantee new locos would be more reliable (though IE have learned some lessons about not letting the supplier off the hook until the bugs are ironed out). Better the devil you know and all that.

There's not much point in buying new high speed locos if the track isn't up to it. The plan would seem to be to spend the next few years upgrading the track for 200kph running, then replace the loco and generator van with a matching pair of power cars that would work in tandem.
Unread 24-05-2006, 15:22   #58
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Mark: you said on Post 51 above that no Cork drivers were rostered to drive the new trains, and sort of implied that there might be trouble if they were asked to do so. Can this be true? We were lead to believe that following the strike last week, IE drivers had agreed to drive the new trains (i.e. all IE drivers). So we did not get anything like a resolution of the problem last week(?). I presume that trouble could break out any day as soon as thier majesties in Cork are asked to drive a Mark IV? If true, this is really scandalous, even by the dreadful standard of Irish public sector carry-on.
Unread 24-05-2006, 15:49   #59
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If you only knew what I know. Its exceedingly complex but there is trouble still in Cork, all kinds of problems. There was a total breakdown in trust last week. Platform 11 will issue a statement detailing exactly what did happen in coming days

The driver, guard and ticket checker of the 5:30 ex Cork on Monday took the CDE set back as passengers
Unread 24-05-2006, 16:25   #60
CSL

Well why don't you tell us, you're normally forthcoming with information..

or is it confidential information ?
Closed Thread