Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 26-08-2007, 11:51   #1
91101_GNER
New to the board

Default Ticketing & Getting around Dublin

Hello, I'm from Newcastle in Britain, and I'm travelling to Ireland in a few weeks. Coming from Birmingham overnight on the ferry to Dublin, down to Cork, back to Dublin (0700 Hueston - Cork and 10:30 return). I'm then getting the 16:50 to Belfast, and returning the next day on the 10:30 ex-Belfast Central.

My ticket for Dublin - Belfast was €90, and I believe is closely equivelent to what we have in England as a First Open Return (Outward on day one, return valid for one calendar month, travel by any train along any permitted route) is that generally speaking right? If I miss one train I can just hop on the next? What about break of journey? I'm thinking of possibly getting off at Drogheda for a bit of photting, before completing the journey to Dublin for the return ferry crossing.

Obviously I need to get from the Ferryport to Hueston (got about an hour to do this providing the ferry is ontime) and then from Heuston to Connolly. I know that the Luas is the best option for Heuston to Connolly, but what about from the Ferryport?

I'd just like to say that this site is invaluable!
91101_GNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-08-2007, 13:54   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is a bus from Dublin Port to Heuston at 6:10am it does wait for the ferry, its 2.50 euro

A first class ticket is open, but if you bought it online with a reservation it is only valid on the train listed in first, but may be used in standard class on any other service that day. The 6:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 17:00 and 17:30 services there is an extra supplement for first class Mon-Sat bought online the supplement is added if you book on one of those services.

A first class Dublin Belfast is valid outward on the valid from date, break of journey is allowed, you should have a full meals service, its more pullman class than first, you should make a reservation before which is free http://www.translink.co.uk/enterpriseservices.asp

Should bear in mind
Dublin Belfast day return standard is 18 euro all trains
Belfast Dublin day return standard is 10-25 sterling depending on trains

Must travel on the trains you select at time of purchase, standard class seat reservations only work Dublin Belfast not available Belfast Dublin
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-08-2007, 16:00   #3
packetswitch

Just a note that you might want to have a "Plan B" for your Dublin (Heuston) to Cork journey. The bus from the port can (even if the ferry is on time, which it usually is on the route and time you're taking) still not leave the port until as late as 6.30ish (it does wait for passengers waiting for their bags). On a bad traffic morning, and noting that the shuttle bus also stops at Busáras (central bus station, next to Connolly) to discharge most of its passengers, you might not make the seven AM train.
packetswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-08-2007, 17:28   #4
91101_GNER
New to the board

Make sure that I've got some Euro notes incase a quick dash is needed in a cab eh?

Sorry Mark but how long is the return portion valid for exactly? How much is the supplement to travel on the next train?
91101_GNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-08-2007, 17:55   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91101_GNER View Post
Make sure that I've got some Euro notes incase a quick dash is needed in a cab eh?
The bus is exact fare coin only normally

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91101_GNER View Post
Sorry Mark but how long is the return portion valid for exactly? How much is the supplement to travel on the next train?
Whatever it says on the ticket
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-08-2007, 20:57   #6
ooleary
Regular Poster

Return tickets, unless specified otherwise (e.g. day or 5-day) are valid for one calendar month.
ooleary is offline   Reply With Quote