Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 26-03-2010, 12:16   #1
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Mark Gleeson: you say: "Due to restrictions imposed by the DoT no smartcard with luas/bus may be issued".

I can understand why incompatible systems might lead one operator not to issue smartcards until the technical glitches get sorted. But what on earth does this have to do with the DoT? I thought the department was responsible for policy (God help us!) and not technical issues.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-03-2010, 12:19   #2
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACustomer View Post
But what on earth does this have to do with the DoT? I thought the department was responsible for policy (God help us!) and not technical issues.
DoT told DB and IR that they could not make their tickets interoperable because it would impede the work of the PRA in developing the full integrated ticket. God knows why.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-03-2010, 12:36   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The systems are fully compatible with each other, it politics which stand in the way
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-03-2010, 14:09   #4
Ron Burgundy
Regular Poster

My ticket is for rail and feeder bus ( 92 )

I really am sick of this, i pay 2640 for this rubbish.

I don't want excuses etc, i want a system that works before its launched or don't have it at all.
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-03-2010, 14:31   #5
Maire
New to the board

I thoroughly agree.

My ticket didn't work last year and the new ticket doesn't work either. Staff in Heuston stand around chatting or on their phones. Some are mannerly but you get the occasional rude one whom you feel like you're asking them a favour to let you through the barrier...One of them said to me last week that "you have to put the ticket into the machine (I had told him it gets stuck etc) because the managers are around and are watching us"....I really don't want to hear excuses etc. I just want to get to work and get out of the frigging station!!!

Why are we paying over 2,500 euro for annual passes that don't work?
Maire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-03-2010, 15:59   #6
TGV
New to the board

I would agree. If the ticket machines don't work with a lot of valid tickets then the ticket machines shouldn't be used. Simple.

On a related note...I have been on board quite a few trains on which the next and only stop is Heuston and before stopping at Heuston with its brand new automatic ticket validation system a ticket inspector - possibly jealous of the new ticket machines? - comes around checking for tickets anyway.
TGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-03-2010, 21:43   #7
iridium
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGV View Post
I would agree. If the ticket machines don't work with a lot of valid tickets then the ticket machines shouldn't be used. Simple.

On a related note...I have been on board quite a few trains on which the next and only stop is Heuston and before stopping at Heuston with its brand new automatic ticket validation system a ticket inspector - possibly jealous of the new ticket machines? - comes around checking for tickets anyway.
Same here. That's been going on since before the automatic checks in Heuston though. They wait until after the last stop before Heuston to do a sweep cause they're lazy. I'd say it's easy to get from the likes of Kildare to Portlaoise without having a ticket.

I wonder if the original poster would let us know if he ever receives a reply to his e-mail from Irish Rail. I would be very surprised if they even acknowledge it.
iridium is offline   Reply With Quote