Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 30-12-2008, 09:59   #1
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Default [Article] Rail tunnel plan to proceed

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...581467210.html

Quote:
Rail tunnel plan to go ahead - Dempsey

HARRY McGEE

MINISTER FOR Transport Noel Dempsey has said that the underground interconnector between Dublin's docklands and Heuston Station is to proceed as planned in 2009 notwithstanding the deterioration in the public finances.

The Minister described the rail tunnel, which will accommodate an underground Dart line, as the "most critical piece of infrastructure" for public transport in the State.

"We will not get people to use or depend on public transport unless it's totally integrated," he said, adding he was confident the project would finish on schedule and that the first passengers would use the service in 2015.

Mr Dempsey said Iarnród Éireann would apply for a Railway Order, the equivalent of planning permission, during 2009 and it was also likely to begin the procurement and tendering process by the end of next year.

"That process is likely to spill over into 2010. The stage after that is negotiations with the preferred bidder which could take six to eight months.

"All things being equal this time, in two years, we will know the identity of the contractor," Mr Dempsey said.

The underground line will run from Heuston Station to the docklands with stops at Pearse Street, St Stephen's Green and the general vicinity of Christ Church.

The rationale behind the interconnector is to provide a series of hubs that will link all forms of rail travel in Dublin, including the Luas, mainline rail, the Dart, the new underground Dart as well as the proposed Metro North.

Once the service is operational, passengers will be able to switch from one form of transport to another at different levels of the same station, including the major underground station which is earmarked for St Stephen's Green.

The tunnel will also facilitate more rail movements between the north and south of the river Liffey. At present, a single bridge accommodates all mainline and commuter train traffic, as well as Dart services.

"It is integrating all forms of transport. That is why integrated ticketing is also very important. That also needs to be in place if it is to run smoothly," he said.

Mr Dempsey said that planning for the tunnel would continue even in the event of a serious deterioration in public finances.

"Too often in the past what we neglected to do in a downturn was plan for the future," he said.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-12-2008, 13:01   #2
essoII
Regular Poster

I think the only reassuring thing in this article is this quote: "Too often in the past what we neglected to do in a downturn was plan for the future," he said.
At least ministers realize the mistakes in poor future planning that previous governments have made...
essoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-12-2008, 16:55   #3
sean

Perhaps this administration isn't a total waste of space after all.
But I'll believe it when I see the Tunnel Boring Machines setting off on their task.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-12-2008, 17:20   #4
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
But I'll believe it when I see the Tunnel Boring Machines setting off on their task.
Bingo.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-12-2008, 19:36   #5
philip

Aye. No holey holey, no votey votey
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-12-2008, 09:23   #6
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Is it possible to bring some Heuston services over to Connolly station via the Tunnel, services from Limerick , Galway , Waterford not all just the odd service and the odd Cork service
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-12-2008, 09:55   #7
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Yes, they all come in the same track as of Kildare. Connolly isn't exactly long on capacity though.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-12-2008, 14:53   #8
weehamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
I'll believe it when I can physically step onto the DART at Killester and get off at The Green.
Unread 02-01-2009, 00:42   #9
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Lets not get carried away.

Quote:
Mr Dempsey said that planning for the tunnel would continue even in the event of a serious deterioration in public finances.
They have been "planning" it for years. "Planning" will continue. "construction" seems to be a different matter.
Unread 03-01-2009, 00:14   #10
Derek Wheeler

They planned the M50 for 17 years before construction started. Planning isn't expensive. Construction is the bogey. I'll stay on the side of disbelief.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote