Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 18-10-2008, 10:11   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer
 
Colm Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,442
Default Thank you

I'm heading to Cork today.

It was good to see the doors on the 1100 ex-Dublin close bang on 1100 and hte train depart by 1100:20.

Unfortuneately I'll be on the 1200.
__________________
Colm Moore is offline  
Unread 21-10-2008, 09:44   #2
ccos
Member
 
ccos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kazbegi
Posts: 281
Default

I bet the 12.00 was late
ccos is offline  
Unread 21-10-2008, 09:46   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,641
Default

Twas on time I'm told
Mark Gleeson is offline  
Unread 21-10-2008, 09:59   #4
ccos
Member
 
ccos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kazbegi
Posts: 281
Default

its the law Larrys laws of motion no.2 If u miss abus because its on time the next one will be late.

no.1 says u must be a least as smart as the ting u r driving and no.5 its easier to stop at the red light then pull yourself out of the truck
ccos is offline  
Unread 21-10-2008, 10:12   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,641
Default

If I had to put money on a ontime departure it would be Dublin Cork, its the only route you see any kind of sustained effort to get trains away on time.

Of course it just means you will get delayed somewhere else, 12:30 out of Cork yesterday left bang on time, only to get stuck in Mallow for over 15 minutes
Mark Gleeson is offline  
Unread 21-10-2008, 11:09   #6
chipper
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 39
Default

The most reliable departure on the network has to be the 06:46 Drogheda - Pearse. You could set your watch by that one. Unfortunately the train then spends more than 20 minutes stopped in stations, runs behind a dart from Howth Junction and crawls into Connolly to finish in Pearse anything up to about 7 minutes late. It is never more than 10 minutes late so I suppose you can guarantee to always be "on time".
chipper is offline  
Unread 21-10-2008, 12:00   #7
Colm R
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Of course it just means you will get delayed somewhere else, 12:30 out of Cork yesterday left bang on time, only to get stuck in Mallow for over 15 minutes
Bet it arrived on time though!! Something called padding
Colm R is offline  
Unread 21-10-2008, 12:53   #8
KSW
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rosslare Line
Posts: 600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
If I had to put money on a ontime departure it would be Dublin Cork, its the only route you see any kind of sustained effort to get trains away on time.
I'LL second that, The Cork train has the best looking train its a real InterCity service unlike those 22000 so called intercity trains ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper View Post
The most reliable departure on the network has to be the 06:46 Drogheda - Pearse. You could set your watch by that one. Unfortunately the train then spends more than 20 minutes stopped in stations, runs behind a dart from Howth Junction and crawls into Connolly to finish in Pearse anything up to about 7 minutes late. It is never more than 10 minutes late so I suppose you can guarantee to always be "on time".
The 06:00 is the same just after bray-dun laoghaire it crawls into Connolly..
KSW is offline  
Unread 24-10-2008, 11:54   #9
Jferb
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 65
Default

The Cork train may be the best looking but the lack of a power-point at every seat is an abysmal oversight.

The general rule-of-thumb with IE seems to be that if I'm not in a hurry, the train arrives early, but if I am then it's always bloody late!!
Jferb is offline  
Unread 28-10-2008, 17:34   #10
ccos
Member
 
ccos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kazbegi
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
The general rule-of-thumb with IE seems to be that if I'm not in a hurry, the train arrives early, but if I am then it's always bloody late!!
Larrys law of motion #7 states that the only ontime train is the one you're late for.

This is derived from Chris P Batters observations that railway punctuality is inversly proportional to the passengers necessity.
ccos is offline  
Unread 28-10-2008, 19:04   #11
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer
 
Colm Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jferb View Post
The general rule-of-thumb with IE seems to be that if I'm not in a hurry, the train arrives early, but if I am then it's always bloody late!!
Services run for those that wait, they don't wait for those that run.
__________________
Colm Moore is offline  
Unread 28-10-2008, 23:03   #12
ccos
Member
 
ccos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kazbegi
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Services run for those that wait, they don't wait for those that run.
Now you are dealing with the train space continueim, train travel is relative to the observer.
compare two tourists " mon deiu! ze cows, such peectures! mcch" or "jsus, will ya look at d state of dem tings wares d station"
ccos is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 17:37.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.