Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-08-2010, 20:37   #1
maitias
New to the board

Default DMU Class Seat Reservations

Was on a DMU class 18:30 ex Cork to Dublin on Sunday. Something I noticed as soon as we pulled out of Cork was the Seat Reservations notifications disappeared. (Also which I thought was odd was that carriage A was at the back of the train as opposed to the front of the train.)
As we progressed on our Journey I thought the names would reappear at Mallow and they didnt. People got on board and occupied any seat even though I new some were clearly marked reserved from Limerick Jct & Thurles. Some arguing followed where people were saying I had this seat reserved and others said there was no name there. People either moved on or didnt bother to argue when they realised the name was not over the seat. This happened at every station. Is this something that happens on the DMU class after it pulls out of its starting station or a once off where the system was switched off by the host? Quite annoying for people who prebooked a seat and never got it.
maitias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 06:35   #2
corktina
Regular Poster

faulty equipment by the sound of it.Is it time for reservation-only train travel?
corktina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 08:19   #3
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Sounds like bad programming to me. But it's a step above the usual where the reservations don't appear at all on the 22Ks ;(
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:36   #4
neoncircles

Any 22000 I've been on its happened! They should really remain there for the entire journey really.
neoncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:57   #5
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Reservation only would be a disaster for longer distance commuters. I travel from Edgeworthstown and while I take the same morning train four days a week, I never know which evening train I will be taking. So like most people, I just turn up 10-15 minutes early for the train and I know I'll get a seat.

Apart from Fridays (and the 1805 to Longford), the Sligo line trains aren't really packed enough to need it.

Can you claim your reservation fee back if you don't get the seat you reserved. It strikes me as pretty poor if you pay for a seat and don't get it. In my mind that should be a complete refund - not just the reservation bit.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:50   #6
maitias
New to the board

Any of the Mark IV that I have been on the reservations stay up for the journey.
You can make a complaint on the customer service section informing them you didnt get your reserved seat. Not sure if you get a refund or not.
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:08   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The ICR fleet have ongoing problems and the reservations disappearing once the doors close at the departure station is a known repeat issue.

Tenders are out to resolve the problem

Dublin Cork was poor for many years but has gradually become the exception for reservations not to be displayed. Further upgrade work is ongoing to replace defective connecting cables which result in the loss of the on train computer and pa system

Refunds apply only if you stand or sit in standard on a first class ticket.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 17:47   #8
corktina
Regular Poster

my son and daughter booked on the same train, she from Dublin and he booked from home in Cork...they got to sit next to each other!!! I assume the computer allocates seats alphabetically!
Unread 11-08-2010, 18:40   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Irish Rail let you pick the seat and coach you want, just like the way Aer Lingus do. You can opt to to automatic seats, which simply gives you a reserved seat from those available more or less at random.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 18:57   #10
corktina
Regular Poster

as i said , they booked seperately...did not pick their seats...
Unread 11-08-2010, 19:14   #11
maitias
New to the board

I must say the host on train was not much help to anyone. He only walked through the train after each stop counting vacant seats. The most amazing part was he had to walk past people who were looking for their seat, holding the ticket in their hand and looking for the name/seat number or people asking others to move as they had booked that seat. Never once did he stop to give an explanation offer assistance or apologies.
I have seen this train host in action before where the only duties he carries out is count the empty seat on the train and inform everyone about the quite zone.