Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 19-12-2006, 00:30   #1
Pet
New to the board

Default Mark IVs Dublin-cork - Sundays?

Do the Mark IVs operate on Sundays on the Dublin-Cork line? Will this apply on Sunday 24th?

Also, I'm thinking about booking a seat online, because I imagine the trains will be pretty busy..is it possible to get a student fare online?

Thanks all.
Unread 19-12-2006, 08:52   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As of yesterday all direct trains no exceptions, but as the man says subject to availability

Student fares both in standard and first class available online to book no extra cost but you will need the travel card
Unread 19-12-2006, 11:57   #3
Pet
New to the board

Ok, cool. I'm actually going to Tralee though, and will be changing at Mallow, so are any of the non-direct trains running the mark 4s too?
Unread 19-12-2006, 12:21   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Mk4 trains only operate Dublin Cork (and Cork Mallow Cork suburban) direct trains to Tralee are older trains but seat reservations should be available on all

No seat reservations are available Mallow Tralee if it is a connecting train
Unread 19-12-2006, 12:27   #5
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Pet
The new CAF intercity "MK4" coaches run on Cork services every 2 hours at present, to be expanded to hourly in the new year (once they iron out the glitches and the unions and the catering etc)

They are the "Cork-Dublin Express" and only run Cork Kent and Dublin Heuston Stations i.e. they're dedicated to Cork-Dublin service.

So, if you're going to Tralee / Limerick etc and want to use on you'd need to board a Cork-bound train and change en route.
If you're using a Limerick or Kerry direct train it won't be CAF Intercity. More likely MK3 or MK2. In the new year you'll start to see new Intercity DMUs appearing on those routes.

You can reserve your "CDE" (CAF Intercity) part of your trip to/from Limerick junction etc
The Display will read "This seat is reserved from Limerick Junction" or "This Seat is Reserved From Mallow"
Your name will appear on the seat when the train arrives at that station.

If you reserve to Tralee or Limerick etc. The seat will have your name over it until your connection station.
Once the train arrives, the display will go blank again, so the seat becomes available.

(I've seen this work perfectly on quite a few occasions - it's quite a decent system)

The system will allow you to select your seat on the reservable element of your trip and you'll just have "ticket only" for the shorter part of your journey along the branch from the Cork line. i.e. Mallow-Tralee or Limerick J. - Limerick City.

Last edited by MrX : 19-12-2006 at 12:35.
Unread 19-12-2006, 23:50   #6
Pet
New to the board

So which non-direct Dublin-Cork trains run the new MK4s? It's usually the 0900 and 1300 from Heuston on weekdays, but on Sundays I'm not so sure..
Unread 20-12-2006, 01:02   #7
Derek Wheeler

The new MK4 trains only operate between Dublin and Cork. If you want to use one of them on your trip to Kerry, then make sure you book a seat on a direct Cork service with a Kerry line connection in Mallow.
Unread 20-12-2006, 11:18   #8
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Pet,

The new trains only run between Cork and Dublin directly.

i.e. they only run on services that operate directly between Cork City (Kent Station) and Dublin Heuston.

I presume by indirect services, you mean trains that run Dublin-Tralee, Dublin-Limerick etc directly with connections for Cork en route. These are not Cork trains per se and wouldn't be operated by the new "Cork-Dublin Express" fleet.

If you want to check on the booking system if a train is new or not it's quite easy.

Go into the reservations system, pick the train you want to travel on and go through the process as far as seat selection. You'll recognise the new trains by the seating layout.

New trains will have several "Airline style" i.e. 2-seats with fold down tables in the middle of the coach.
There's also a wheelchair space at the end of every coach on one side.

The previous generation of trains on the cork line have the usual 4 seats around a table layout right through the entire coach and a single 2-seater space at the end of each row of seating.
Unread 20-12-2006, 13:18   #9
colmoc

I am heading to kerry on Saturday.
I already have a killarney to dublin return from last weekend
Can I book a seat with out buying a new ticket??
thanks
Unread 20-12-2006, 13:45   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As far as I understand bookings are free if made at time of purchase

You can certainly buy a upgrade to first online which will be reserved

Call 01 7034070 or visit Abbey Street/Heuston or any largish station, I just don't know it should be possible
Closed Thread