Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-09-2007, 22:52   #21
craigybagel
Regular Poster

Spoke to the guard coming up from Wicklow during the week he said latest IE plan is that rosslare will be LAST to get the 22s, and that Limerick was now first in line to get them?

Incidentally as far as i can tell the platforms on the line cant take 2x22k yet. Certainly Wicklow cant....
craigybagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-09-2007, 22:55   #22
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

That mostly rubbish

The Rosslare hold up is due to the re-signaling, the new station in Rosslare and platform extensions as part of the signaling project, that should all be sorted by Easter

Sligo is first, date place and time

Staff at most have 2 week notice of any operational change
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-09-2007, 23:26   #23
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

I think Craigy has a point there. I know the new platforms here at Gorey can take 6 carrages of the current trains but aint the new carrages longer? That would make 6 of the new carrages longer than the new platforms.

I know Wicklow Enniscorthy Gorey and one platform at Rathdrum have being renewed but only accomadate the current 6 carrage trains. I honestly can not see IE rebuilding these platforms again so 3 new carrages look like the only option.

Ed
Edward Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2007, 06:30   #24
James Shields

The commuter railcars are all 20m per coach, so a 6-car set will be 180m.

The Intercity railcars are 23m, so six of them become 198m, almost as long as a 7-car commuter train, if such a thing existed. I don't know if that's enough to push them over the current platform lengths.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2007, 07:18   #25
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Exclamation Dublin Rosslare

I heard the Rosslare line will be getting these new 22000 InterCity in April of 2008 or even December'08.Does anyone else feel that the Rosslare services should be terminated at Connolly Station,Only Gorey services should go behond Connolly. I have to say the new Railcars look very impressive and 23m long. I've seen the inside of the 22000 very bright i have to say.If anybody wants to look at the new trains the website address is www.irishtrainphotos.fotopic.net The seats look comforable and clean. Can i ask what will the catering facilites onboard be like because if there is going to be 3 cars X2 will there be 2 catering facilites for each set. Yes or No. I hope the 06:00 Gorey Sligo service gets one as it deserves at least this. The timetable from Gorey to Dublin needs some serious help. If i miss the 08.50 the next train is 14.10 and 14.50 then 18.50 this is to much a gap. What about a 11am and a 13.10 lunchtime and a 17.10 late afternoon service. What is your view on this..

Last edited by KSW : 18-09-2007 at 18:24.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2007, 08:23   #26
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

With reference to message no 20 above, where did you get the idea that T21 envisaged hourly off-peak and twoce-hourly at peak? As you say this is simply way beyond the capacity of the line. To the best of my knowledge there was never such a plan (with good reason).

As fer as I can recall the plan is to have 5 trains eventually to Rosslare, plus 2 or 3 as far as Gorey.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2007, 09:59   #27
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The timetable as we understand it is that there will be an hourly service at peak and then a train every 2 hours as far as Gorey with a possibilty of 5 trains operating south of Gorey to either Wexford or Rosslare. At the moment out of Dublin if it wasn't for the shortage of railcars there would be 16:40, 17:30 and 18:35 departures today

Sligo line manages fine with a single track with a lot more trains

All services starting or terminating in Gorey will be operated by suburban railcars, services operating further will be Intercity railcars

The bulk of the problems with the Rosslare line are physical due to the hills and curves which are mostly north of Gorey. Cost to fix is in the hundreds of millions

Given a new station is being built in Rosslare at the moment the future of the line is quite secure

The hold is on the resignalling which is generally tied in with platform extensions will be Easter next year at the latest.
Unread 18-09-2007, 10:47   #28
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

Is there any extra services planned in the December timetable?
The current timetable as far too many gaps in it. Miss the 0850 Gorey Dublin and your next service is not till 1410 then 1450 followed by another large gap till 1850.
Unread 18-09-2007, 16:28   #29
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

ACustomer,

here is were I got the idea:

http://www.platform11.org/campaigns/...php#greystones

Do you mean 2 or 3 as far as Gorey on top of the five envisaged for Rosslare?
If so,is that each way?

If that is the case you are talking about five trains each way to Rosslare and 7 or 8 trains each way to Gorey.

Last edited by paddyb180285 : 18-09-2007 at 16:32.
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2007, 18:33   #30
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The train every two hours is the 2008/9 situation whatever happens after that is a bit of dream
Unread 19-09-2007, 07:46   #31
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Default Timetable'08

Why cant Iarnrod Eireann operate the 5 trains each way to Rosslare/Wexford in the December coming.. The new signalling on the line is that what is holding everything up?.. I got on the 13:35 Dublin Rosslare on Saturday and the driver was really pushing it I mean this guy was going the trains max speed.. Arklow Gorey 9minutes NO LIE. But the PA was not on which was a shame. Why cant IE tell all its staff if the train has onboard information then for the love of god use it.
Unread 19-09-2007, 10:31   #32
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

9 min From Arklow to Gorey is about average. The amount of time allowed between stations is in my opinion is excessive. A recent trip on the 0600 Gorey to Sligo train saw us sitting in most stations 3 to 4 min waiting time.
6 min sitting in Blackrock as the train is allowed 9 min to complete the journey from Dunlaoghaire to Blackrock. Even a stopping DART doesnt take that long.

The 0600 train could depart Gorey at 0615 and still easily arrive into Dublin Connolly before 0800. Its no wonder that as the poster says "97% of commuter trains arrive on time". I mean with timetables like this how could they not arrive on time?.

Ed
Unread 19-09-2007, 12:23   #33
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Ryan View Post
The 0600 train could depart Gorey at 0615 and still easily arrive into Dublin Connolly before 0800. Its no wonder that as the poster says "97% of commuter trains arrive on time". I mean with timetables like this how could they not arrive on time?.
That is exactly why they are on time. Someone can correct but I think if it is within 10 / 15 minutes it is considered on time. Most countries say 5.

In Sweden the trains arrive exactly when scheduled. This frightened me as I honestly didn't know if I was on the right train. I'm not used to such punctuality, you would have trains every 5 minutes going to different places and the only way you know which train to get was the time it arrived. If IE did that here there would be mass confusion (unless they became a decent operator).
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-09-2007, 13:35   #34
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post

Sligo line manages fine with a single track with a lot more trains
But Mark, the sligo line doesn't have DART's running off a single track surely this will effect the operation of the Rosslare/Gorey line in future.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-09-2007, 20:49   #35
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

The new trains went down to Rosslare today on a test run.
Unread 28-09-2007, 21:27   #36
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I saw a 22000 three-car set going northbound at Pearse yesterday evening marked out of service.

I don't think there's anything stopping IÉ running six-car 22000 sets down to Rosslare. If the platforms are too short, they'll just do the "please move forward to arrive safely on the platform" trick.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-09-2007, 21:38   #37
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tralph View Post
I don't think there's anything stopping IÉ running six-car 22000 sets down to Rosslare. If the platforms are too short, they'll just do the "please move forward to arrive safely on the platform" trick.
Thats not allowed for any new train entering service as of this year, older trains are exempt

The new trains may however have selective door opening we don't know
Unread 30-09-2007, 22:03   #38
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Default 22000 on test run

They look nice, espically when your standing across at Tesco(Gorey) and there's a 3car train across the way. I should have drove to the station and stopped the train just to take a picture (ha ha) Oh and ask him can i see inside for myself
Unread 01-10-2007, 09:18   #39
Pierce
New to the board

Question Rosslare Line

Hi
It is true that there will be a 16:00 Dublin-Gorey and returns from Gorey-Dublin at 18:00 can anybody confirm this.
Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 09:22   #40
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its 16:40 Connolly Gorey does not stop Bray then all stations to Gorey

That is in the timetable but not yet running as there are no trains to run it

No return service