Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-12-2009, 11:40   #1
plant43

Default [Article] Wireless broadband being rolled out in January

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/t...es-439095.html

Quote:
Irish Rail and Irish Ferries passengers will be able to access a new wireless broadband internet service from January.

The new technology will allow travellers to avail of high-speed internet access on a range of different devices throughout the rail network and on journeys across the Irish Sea.

Irish firm Fleetconnect is to instal the technology on the ferries and trains.
plant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-12-2009, 12:09   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As I more or less guessed ages back, its the Icomera boys who are the leaders in the field

Dublin Cork only on the train due woeful 3G coverage

So much for the vapourware we do it for free company that vanished as quickly as it appeared
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-12-2009, 14:07   #3
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Thats great to hear. Over in Moldova they have wireless internet in restaurants,pubs,parks everywhere its great when you have an internet phone.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-12-2009, 15:28   #4
DangerM
Regular Poster

Wifi would be great on the train, I use the wireless O2 broadband on the Gorey Line, only place I get disconnected is Greystones to Bray.
DangerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-12-2009, 15:32   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

But it won't make it run on time
Unread 21-12-2009, 17:23   #6
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

No wifi on the Ardrahan express - the wesht betrayed again
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-12-2009, 19:11   #7
James Howard

Default Commuters vs Occasional users.

I think that some sort of WiFi is probably much more strongly required on Inter City rather than commuter services as they probably have a higher proportion occasional travellers.

As a regular commuter I use a three 3G connection which works adequately and is very cheap. But if I were taking the train once a week or less, I couldn't justify the cost of the 3G connection but would take advantage of on-board WiFi if it were available.

Differing requirements for different types of passenger and I would hazard a guess that the occasional traveller is less likely to hang out here and stick their oar in the subject.

I do agree that getting something vaguely resembling punctuality and reliability is a much higher priority.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 15:35   #8
evert
New to the board

This is all part of a 6 month trail run by Irish Rail together with a number of wifi providers. Neither Fleet Connect nor Icomera have exclusivity here.

Based on the result of this trail Irish Rail will decide whether or not to put a contract for wifi across their rolling stock out to public tender.

More details here.

Disclosure: I am the CEO of Airappz, one of the companies invited to participate in this trail.
evert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 21:06   #9
evert
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
As I more or less guessed ages back, its the Icomera boys who are the leaders in the field

Dublin Cork only on the train due woeful 3G coverage

So much for the vapourware we do it for free company that vanished as quickly as it appeared
We didn't dissappear Mark, we were in follow-up discussion with Irish Rail and did not want to publisize details before everything was confirmed.

Your negativism is just puzzling to say the least..

Evert Bopp.
Unread 04-01-2010, 21:19   #10
MidlandDeltic
New to the board

WiFi was available on Ulysses before and after Xmas - at an eye-watering €5 for 30min or €8 per hour! Even my Meteor dongle only costs €2.95 per day / €15 per month!
MidlandDeltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 09:04   #11
James Shields

8 per hour? Ouch. I sailed with Stena last September and had free WiFi on board. They were giving access codes at the customer service desk, so it may have been an introductory offer.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 15:41   #12
tigger1962

wifi is free on stena line in the premier lounges only.

I tried to use mobile broadband on the cork train and the service was quite bad especially compared to the northern line. Though I would not pay those prices unless it was a business expense.
tigger1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 17:50   #13
DangerM
Regular Poster

Well Wexford Bus offer free wifi on their route each day and are quicker from Gorey to Dublin than the train, if Irish Rail want to be anyway competitive and sell this wifi as a perk then it needs to be for a minimal cost.
DangerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 17:06   #14
tigger1962

Matthews Buses from Dundalk/Drogheda also offer this as part of their service and most of the time are faster than Irish Rail! Especially the early morning services, about same time on evening services
tigger1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-01-2010, 16:43   #15
plant43

Follow-up

Quote:
IARNRÓD ÉIREANN is to test a wireless internet service for passengers on its Dublin to Cork route, starting early next month.

The trial will be used to establish demand and is likely to be followed by a public tender to equip much of the company’s main intercity lines with the necessary equipment to provide the service.

Four wireless network providers have been invited to take part in the trial, due to last for about six months. Each provider will initially be allocated a train on the Dublin to Cork line. “It’s our busiest route so it’s the most appropriate for the trial,” said Iarnród Éireann spokesman Barry Kenny.

“We will publicise the service in stations, on trains, on our website, through social media and through media activity.”

Commuters with laptops or mobile phones will be able to access the Internet using Wi-Fi. Each carriage will have a single wireless access point to cater for the number of passengers who are likely to use the service. According to the managing director of trial participant FleetConnect, Patrick Cotter, each train can accommodate between 30 and 40 simultaneous Wi-Fi users.

The backhaul signal from the train to the Internet will be over the 3G mobile networks. Iarnród Éireann has its own fibre-optic network which runs along the rail lines but this is not being used during the trial, Mr Kenny said.

Evert Bopp, managing director of another trial participant Airappz, welcomed the trial. “The fact that it is happening is a good thing. Even if we don’t win the tender, ultimately it’s essential for Ireland and the economy that we have this service on public transport.”

The service will be available at various prices for the duration of the trial. Several private coach operators already offer free Wi-Fi to passengers. But Iarnród Éireann’s trial is likely to involve a combination of a free and paid model.

Mr Cotter said FleetConnect would offer both options. “We may put in a charge to see how it affects usage. The main thing is to put a business case together for Irish Rail.”

Airappz said its Wi-Fi access would be free of charge. When logging on, users will see a website with location-based advertising and other services which Mr Bopp said would create sufficient revenue to avoid having to charge a usage fee.

One of the most significant technical hurdles with providing Wi-Fi on trains is that they move quickly between base stations, which can lead to peaks and troughs in access speed for users.

The trial had been put back from last summer to test the feasibility and reliability of the Wi-Fi technology.

Mr Kenny said coverage levels were “strong” across most of the Dublin to Cork line.
Unread 15-01-2010, 16:48   #16
plant43

I hope they plan to let the customer know which provider is on which trainset.
Unread 16-01-2010, 11:38   #17
evert
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by plant43 View Post
We for one will make sure that our service is correctly identifiable.

Evert.
Unread 16-01-2010, 17:16   #18
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plant43 View Post
Any proper trial should be blind-blind. That is neither the frontline staff, nor the customer should know what service they are using, so as to avoid bias. However, if some providers are going to work on an advertising model, that may be unavoidable.
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:50   #19
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I'm told that one of the 4 companies in the trial is no longer taking part for some reason.
Unread 13-02-2010, 22:29   #20
dowlingm

Interesting New York Times article on the effect of providing WiFi on school bus passengers - could it do the same for GAA specials
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote