Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 26-06-2007, 09:38   #1
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Default Is CityGold still there?

I have had a few business people in Cork who were very upset about the lack of food service on the morning CityGold trains to Dublin and similar complaints from people coming the other way. They've stopped using Irish Rail as a result and are now flying instead.

Have Irish Rail abandoned CityGold service completely or is this just one of the many cases where they're completely incapable of providing a consistant level of service?

I really think dropping CityGold catering is a major issue, they'll lose a lot of business customers who have been using it for years and only use it because of the availability of a meal at your seat.
Unread 27-06-2007, 17:11   #2
MrX
Really Regular Poster

I was in 1st class (not city gold scheduled train) and there was a full bistro service!

It had a totally new menu, not too bad. Nice selection of starters and main courses and much more up-to-date and modern than the old CityGold menu which was like something out of a 1970s greasy spoon. It was quality stuff, but not everyone's into steak and chips or a mixed grill

It was an excellent and friendly service. A little pricy, €15 for a main course.

The only weird bit, the expense receipt / bill was written up in £ and p !!! Even though the bill was printed up as Rail Gourmet / RG (Ireland) Ltd.
Very weird! It's not like the euro change over was last week or something, we're using € an ¢ since 2002.

I sent RG Limited an email, as I had trouble claiming expenses on it due to our accountant being a bit pedantic !
Unread 27-06-2007, 17:33   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Evening trains since March are listed as 'Bistro Service' on the timetable board in Heuston

Citygold is still there from what I know, I know those delayed last week in Heuston ate well onboard

Providing a knowingly incorrect receipt must be some class of offence
Unread 27-06-2007, 18:23   #4
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Rail Gourmet are a British company, they do the service for most of the UK trains including Virgin and GNER, Midland mainline etc.

They also do the catering in Finland's railways, on the Eurostar, the Thalys and Belgian railways.

I assume they just sent over the same stationary without checking!!

Considering it's a €11.50 supplement for the 'bistro service' which had a decent menu, what exactly is the advantage of city gold?

The bistro service had full table service, selection of starters, main courses etc. Full bar.

The citygold supplement is much heavier than that.

Last edited by MrX : 27-06-2007 at 18:26.
Unread 28-06-2007, 11:12   #5
packetswitch

Any of you good people know whether there is food on the 7pm Dublin to Cork?
Unread 28-06-2007, 11:15   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetswitch View Post
Any of you good people know whether there is food on the 7pm Dublin to Cork?
Bistro service is on the 7pm
Unread 03-07-2007, 16:50   #7
packetswitch

Alas it wasn't really (Mr. Packetswitch having not eaten all day had a delightful baguette jambon stringy et fromage chewy a la microwavey packet from the snack car), although the nice lady at the snack car said that she thought that full meals were available on 'afternoon and evening' trains. To be fair the timetable only refers to morning meals (ex Dublin) so I don't think they were breaking any promises. On the other hand the guy with the trolley said that there was nothing in the snack car that he didn't have, which was entirely untrue, but it could have been a language issue (English vs halting English).

I wonder what the point of the €11.50 upgrade is if you might get a meal service or might not? i.e. if I'd been on the six o'clock train (same price for first) I would have had the added advantage the meal service; while I don't think it's reasonable to charge an arm and a leg for the privilege of being able to order, it still seems a little odd.

Anyway, I did have my laptop, and I copied out the current menu, just in case any of you are interested!

Sausage & Bacon Baguette 6.95
A crisp baguette filled with Irish sausage and bacon

Ham & Emmenthal Baguette 6.95
A crisp baguette filled with Irish ham and melted Swiss cheese

Soup of the Day (v) 4.95
Hot fresh soup served with wholemeal bread and butter

Irish Oak Smoked Salmon Platter 14.50
Smoked Irish salmon served with wholemeal bread and butter and a salad

Bacon and Cabbage 15.75
Tender slices of boiled Irish gammon with cabbage, stuffing, topped with parsley sauce and served with vegetables and potato

Breast of Irish Chicken stuffed with Clonakilty Pudding 15.75
Pan roasted breast of Irish chicken with Clonakilty pudding, mustard and honey stuffing served with vegetables and potato

Baked Couscous with Spinach and Feta Cheese (v) 13.95
With a hint of garlic, chilli and ginger and glazed with mozzarella, feta cheese and red peppers

Cheese Platter (v) 9.95
A selection of five Irish farmhouse cheese, carefully chosen to be at their seasonal peak served with fruit chutney and wholemeal bread and butter

Mid Morning/Afternoon Snack 5.25
Two hot buttered scones served with jam and a pot of tea or coffee
Unread 04-07-2007, 11:40   #8
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Maybe their marketing department could consider something like this :

Surprising you every time!

To add to the excitement on board our shiny new Intercity trains, the meal service is provided at random intervals*. Meals when you least expect them!

*Please note it may be our policy to close the snack car at the penultimate station. No account is taken for how far into the journey this station is located.

To ensure you get a meal on board, we suggest you pack a balanced and healthy lunch.
Ask any of our helpful staff for suggestions and advice on how to make the perfect pre-packed cold meal. - Chicken and Stuffing is a particular favourite.

Some of our trains come with automatic coffee, tea and drink stirring facilities. Simply place your cup on the table and watch as our unique stirring system works magic on your beverage. It's our unique Shaken not Stirred™ System (Not recommended for high-foaming drinks such as German beer)

Last edited by MrX : 04-07-2007 at 12:06.
Closed Thread