Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Waterford
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 23-12-2009, 14:37   #1
Traincustomer

Default Deiseach Express loadings

Just wondering has anyone travelled on the new, 0710 Waterford - Carlow - Heuston express and what patronage levels are like.

IÉ definitely need to pursue express services like this across the radial routes to the capital to provide a product that is highly competitive with journey times on the ever-improving road/motorway network.

The service has apparently become known informally as the Deiseach Express, recalling a train service of that name some years ago.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-12-2009, 16:28   #2
zag
Regular Poster

Default The what now ?

What is this 'express' of which you speak ? It's not a concept I'm familiar with. Is it something to do with removing padding ?

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-12-2009, 17:11   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The idea is nice but

a) Punctuality could be better
b) The number of seats out of Waterford is the same as before which has resulted in problems at Kildare where a 6 coach train was the norm, only to find 3 car arriving from Waterford

I remember the time the first train from Waterford was 8 mk2 coaches
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-12-2009, 15:44   #4
Traincustomer

Good point Zag, I just took thye term express from a media report about the service. Express is a term that seems to have been displaced from Irish railway vocabulary....
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-12-2009, 17:02   #5
Kilocharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
I remember the time the first train from Waterford was 8 mk2 coaches
First train is the 06:10 which is a 6-car premier unit - this normally has room at Kildare. The 'express' at 07:10 and the 7:40 are 3-piece each and replace a six piece. I presume it is the 07:40 (9:26 at Kildare) that has capacity problems.
Kilocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-12-2009, 13:59   #6
Kilkea
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilocharlie View Post
First train is the 06:10 which is a 6-car premier unit - this normally has room at Kildare.
Not on a Monday!! They are running a 3 car set on the 06.10 service every Monday morning as they can't seem to figure out how to run the Sunday timetable and have a 6 car set available in Waterford on Monday morning. The 3 car set is overloaded by the time it gets to Athy and its still stops at both Kildare & Newbridge to pile on even more. I'm having email battle with IE at the moment over it but they don't seem to give a toss.
Kilkea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 20:09   #7
carlowgirl
New to the board

Default 7.10 express form carlow to dublin

This train is good enough, as people have already said if you can get a seat on one of the 3 carriages as they are quite full by the time it gets to carlow and aslo if you could be sure of it getting in on time sometimes its hit and miss.
carlowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 13:21   #8
Kilkea
Regular Poster

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlowgirl View Post
This train is good enough, as people have already said if you can get a seat on one of the 3 carriages as they are quite full by the time it gets to carlow and aslo if you could be sure of it getting in on time sometimes its hit and miss.
I do not agree, it is not good enough to have a lottery on an Intercity route as to whether you get a seat or not. This is not a short haul commuter route where standing is acceptable, it is supposed to be a fully fledged intercity route, and the ticket price reflects this.

There was further comedy supplied by IE on this mornings 06.10 Waterford-Dublin. Doors on the left side of the train packed in after Kildare so they loaded the passangers at Newbridge via the drivers door, through the cab and out into the carriage, not what you would expect on a 1 year old train
Unread 07-01-2010, 13:34   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilkea View Post
There was further comedy supplied by IE on this mornings 06.10 Waterford-Dublin. Doors on the left side of the train packed in after Kildare so they loaded the passangers at Newbridge via the drivers door, through the cab and out into the carriage, not what you would expect on a 1 year old train
Prize for the driver for using a bit of cop on to keep things moving, if HQ knew they would have thrown everyone off and cancelled the train
Unread 08-01-2010, 15:19   #10
Kilkea
Regular Poster

Quote:
Prize for the driver for using a bit of cop on to keep things moving, if HQ knew they would have thrown everyone off and cancelled the train
Agreed, I am one of IE's biggest critics but they have kept things moving this week as far as I can see. Just wish they put this kind of effort in all year round, they would get a lot more respect than they have now.
Unread 08-01-2010, 16:57   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Thats Irish Rail's problem captured in a single event

When backs are to the wall, management and staff seem to pull together and the system works in the face of serious challenges, Wednesday evening was an example of keeping things going in the face of horrible conditions, if it wasn't for a train going on fire it would have been an excellent evening for commuting
Unread 08-01-2010, 16:59   #12
Oisin88

Default Intercity/Regional vs Commuter

I think this thread illustrates a point about Irish Rail. There should be a separate set up for the Waterford-Dublin service and the Carlow/Dub.lin part, with more capacity at peak on the Carlow/Dublin part and something consistent on the intercity/interregional part. Does this go over Irish Rails head or is there some sort of a plan, I wonder?
Unread 25-01-2010, 12:41   #13
Kilkea
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin88 View Post
I think this thread illustrates a point about Irish Rail. There should be a separate set up for the Waterford-Dublin service and the Carlow/Dub.lin part, with more capacity at peak on the Carlow/Dublin part and something consistent on the intercity/interregional part. Does this go over Irish Rails head or is there some sort of a plan, I wonder?
Very good idea, the number of passangers travelling from Athy & Carlow is ever increasing. Even if they simply had the new 07.10 Waterford-Dublin service stop at Athy then that would relieve some of the pressure without affecting the timetable.

Maybe when the new Luas extension to Citywest is opened this might finally give us the alternative to IE that we need.
Unread 25-01-2010, 19:11   #14
Kilocharlie

Quote:
Not on a Monday!! They are running a 3 car set on the 06.10 service every Monday morning as they can't seem to figure out how to run the Sunday timetable and have a 6 car set available in Waterford on Monday morning. The 3 car set is overloaded by the time it gets to Athy and its still stops at both Kildare & Newbridge to pile on even more. I'm having email battle with IE at the moment over it but they don't seem to give a toss.
Meanwhile a 6-car set was running the Kildare/Newbridge service this morning (Monday).
Kilocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-01-2010, 19:18   #15
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Meanwhile a 6-car set was running the Kildare/Newbridge service this morning (Monday).
Absolute joke. Such a short distance.
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-01-2010, 11:15   #16
Kilkea
Regular Poster

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know, this is yet another thing that I can go back to them on. I am still having email battle with them....probably pointless, but all I can do is try and make them see sense
Unread 26-01-2010, 15:17   #17
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The problem is on Sunday there aren't enough trains to carry the needed 3 car set to Waterford. The go down as 6 and come back as 6

Logically there is a spare set in Dublin as a result
Unread 26-01-2010, 15:26   #18
Kilkea
Regular Poster

Quote:
The problem is on Sunday there aren't enough trains to carry the needed 3 car set to Waterford. The go down as 6 and come back as 6

Logically there is a spare set in Dublin as a result
True, but that should not be our problem, it should be théir's. I'm not sure what incoming service to Waterford on Sunday provides the set for the 06.10 on Monday morning, but they surely should be able to organise themselves better.
Unread 26-01-2010, 15:43   #19
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There should be a way to get the train in position, even if go forbid it was sent from Limerick on Sunday evening, hmm there is an idea.
Unread 28-01-2010, 07:51   #20
Oisin88

Quote:
Maybe when the new Luas extension to Citywest is opened this might finally give us the alternative to IE that we need.
Luas from Citywest will take you an age to get into town, and the Citywest people will no doubt charge you a nice premium to park. You will also be spending a lot more time on the M7/M8. Doesn't sound like a great alternative!