Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-10-2018, 11:10   #1
huggy
New to the board

Default Capacity Kildare South

At present most commuter trains servicing in and out of Heuston are already at max capacity, at the same time there seems to be an explosion of planning applications being approved from Sallins to Monasterevin. Has IR any orders in place or plans to order additional carriages to accommodate all these new commuters. Or are my expectations of IR too high to be even asking?
huggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2018, 11:31   #2
James Shields

I think your expectations are far too high. There is some vague plan to introduce hybrid diesel/electric trains in the future, but I haven't seen any mention of when this might actually happen. There's certainly nothing on order.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2018, 22:22   #3
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

There are 13 or 14 2-car class 2700 sets which are hidden away in storage. Last year there appeared to have been plans to refurbish and return them to service. These units should be the obvious first answer to any emerging capacity shortages.
Has anything happened? Do we have a transport minister and an NTA which are more interested in "grand projets" than in short-term practical and affordable piecemeal improvements?
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2018, 09:28   #4
huggy
New to the board

On the back of the detail ACustomer provided, I found the following, wonder how they will be distributed across the network?

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-rail-...15635-Jul2017/
huggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2018, 11:48   #5
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

It's strange that the article refers to putting them on tracks around Limerick.

Even allowing for the Limerick Junction shuttle, Nenagh branch, Waterford and WRC services, Limerick isn't going to need 28 carriages.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2018, 12:48   #6
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

huggy, comcor, thanks. The report in the journal is dated July 2017. Has there been any move on this since? Some IE projects seem to take forever.

I should imagine that the plan is to release the 2600s and 2800s for use in the Dublin area (and Ballina?). At present there should in theory be 36 2600 and 2800 vehicles (18 2-car sets) based in Limerick. This seems an awful lot, given that ICRs also operate to Limerick Junction and Galway for some services. So maybe 13 2700 sets plus a few ICRs should be enough to cover Limerick's needs.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote