Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 03-07-2007, 11:52   #1
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Default 6:30pm Cork-Dublin 2/7/07 MK3, why?

Just wondering, why was the 18:30 Cork-Dublin on Sunday (2/6/07) a Mark 3 rather than CAF Intercity ?

The ride wasn't all that great either, I seriously think that track is extremely bumpy.

The poor old mk3 looked in dire need of a makeover too. Just tatty and smelling of stale beer. Internal doors not working, toilets filthy etc.
Unread 03-07-2007, 13:19   #2
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

They have a spare set in Dublin and also Cork in case of breakdowns - but there is also a spare Mrk 4 set and several other spare coaches as part of the order. Last I heard was the spare Mrk 4 was still being fixed after the crash in templemore but that was months ago.....
Unread 03-07-2007, 23:34   #3
MrX
Really Regular Poster

I know they might be dumping them, but they they ever hear of a hoover? or a bit of cif ?

It was filthy inside.
Unread 04-07-2007, 08:20   #4
2Funki4Wheelz

The mk3 that does the 18.05 run to Portlaoise every day has for the last month at the least two very shabby things in Coach A (which is always the back-end carriage)

- the luggage compartment is full of loose seat cushions and backs (that kids usually end up playing with)
- the carpet beside the door on the boarding side is permanently wet and smells of mould/damp.

add to this, half the toilets are often locked. So they don't seem to care about that poor mk3 at all.
Unread 04-07-2007, 10:30   #5
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Well, for starters the Mark3 sets are due their mid-life refurbishment but they're not getting one as they are being scrapped for some reason. This could go to explain things like bits being stacked up down the back and the like. I've also seen on some Sundays Limerick Mark 3's where entire seats were missing or the upholstery in bits.

The mould and stuff could be from the a/c not being used when the spare sets are in storage. This doesnt make sense to me as we know for a fact that they are really stretched and ideally all the mark 3's should be running now that the cravens are not being used and the mark 2's are being withdrawn as well.

My money is that funki's train was one that was on stand-by for the CDE and was getting a run to keep it from decaying and possibly IE have a rota of the mark3's for that, this is, of course, pure gricing and I'm sure there is someone who can tell us the precise nature of it.

From a more important point of view (you know, the Customers - remember them?) it doesnt matter a toss why this is happening, the fact that it is is a total and absolute disgrace and IE should be ashamed of themselves.

Perhaps instead of painting old locos just to satisfy the cravings of the head honcho IE should start cleaning their trains properly once in a while.
Unread 04-07-2007, 11:32   #6
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Default Cleaning isn't maintenence

I can appreciate that the train may be approaching a time when it needs a major make-over, but it wasn't that that annoyed me.

The train was filthy. It smelled of beer and urine, basically like a pub toilet.
The toilets had toilet paper all over the floors, vast piles of it. The tables hadn't been cleaned, there was food on them, coffee rings etc. The bins were not emptied.

Windows were so dirty you could write your name on the inside of the glass.

It needs a hoover, a bit of a wash with a damp cloth and some cleaner and an urgent toilet cleaning!

I can put up with tatty and worn, but there's no excuse for squalid conditions on board.

am I seriously expected to pay >€60 to be allowed to sit in a filthy, smelly train?!
Unread 04-07-2007, 11:50   #7
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Sounds like they didn't clean it before it went to storage.

http://www.platform11.org/passenger_info/whoswho.php

Do them a nice letter and see if you get your money back or a voucher.

A letter to the newspapers will also do wonders as would Joe Duffy.

Of course we now that Barry himself reads the messageboard (Hi Barry!!) so hopefully he may even get some initiative and tell you how sorry he is.
Unread 04-07-2007, 20:08   #8
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
I know they might be dumping them, but they they ever hear of a hoover? or a bit of cif ?

It was filthy inside.
cif? cif?

I think union rules mean Jif will be used to clean and Jif only.

Anything else will result in a strike.
Unread 07-07-2007, 17:56   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I might have been seeing things but I saw a Mk4 in Connolly last night while I passed the five lamps, it was gone when I got to platform 6

Probably set 4 since it never got the suspension tweaks and that takes a week
Unread 08-07-2007, 20:48   #10
richards
New to the board

Default CDE First Thoughts!

Used the CDE for the first time this weekend!

Went 1st class on Friday on the 12:00 service. Thought it was good if not a bit expensive for what you get. The coach was clean and yes the seat reserved displays were working. Arrived in Cork at 14:40 so that was a 2:40 hrs journey.
Was overall impressed. I suspect the ride issues are more to do with the track as opposed to the carriages. The track from Dublin to Portlaoise does not seem to be great. Was much smoother on fast sections of track between Thurlas and Mallow (which I think was the last section of the line which was replaced in the later 80's and early 90's)

The return journey was not as good (15:30 hrs). The seat displays were not working and some woman who worked for IE was running around checking tickets ensuring that people has seats etc. not very professional.

Was surprised that there was no trolley / waiter service on Sunday. Surely in this day and age, IE could provide a bit more of a service. The trains are quite busy on Sunday afternoons so surely theres money to be made. I was also supposed at the number of people who paid for an upgrade on to the citygold coach. It's not cheap, yet you get a marginally nicer seat and no waiter service.

The train seemed to crawl between Naas\Sallins to Heuston. We stopped for about 5 Min's outside Celbridge. An announcement came on apologizing for the delay claiming there were problems with the 'Signals' and that we should be moving a minute or so. We arrived at 18:25 which was an overall time of 2:55 Min's which is very slow for Cork Dublin.

Overall the CDE has the potential to be a very good service. IE need do small thinks such as
Get the reserved seating digital signs working
Open the boarding sooner
Priority Boarding for Citygold?
Better facilities for Sunday Catering

and the the longer term,
re-engineer the track for faster journeys to compete with the car.
Closed Thread