Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you want faster journey times & a higher priority between Bray & Connolly?
Faster journey times? 10 76.92%
Bray to Connolly a higher priority? 4 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-04-2008, 21:04   #21
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shweeney View Post
South of Gorey is debatable - they certainly shouldn't keep pushing the commuter terminus further south as it will just encourage more long distance commuting. With better timetabling and less padding.
I agree with what you said, Ever since the Commuter extention to Enniscorthy with about an extra 10 people whats the point. The last train from Connolly was meant in my opinion to serve past Gorey. Enniscorthy is to near Wexford its almost all the line covered another 40mins and thats the "InterCity" route done. The padding is a serious issue regards all parts of the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermo88 View Post
2 hours 30 minutes Dublin and Rosslare. There is a lot of padding, and that padding is there to discourage usage, and run it down towards closure. But when you go to a bar at the end of travelling and you are asked "How did you get here", and you say "train", a look of shock and disbelief results. A look that says "You subjected yourself to that crap".
The best Iarnrod Eireann can do, and I observed was/is 1 hour 22 minutes.
2hr30mins is the best that IE could manage and that is fine aslike Waterford-Hueston same distance 2hr30min so Rosslare should join it. The padding is crazy and needs attention. Regards what you said "How did you get here" and you say "Train" in Gorey that expression is what you get . The Rosslare "Train" needs an upgrade.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2008, 06:57   #22
dermo88

The Rosslare "train" needs an upgrade.

1. The track is new. Its far better than the very poor track that was there pre 2003, and the relay.
2. The trains are relatively new. Even a 2800 Class railcar set is far cleaner, more modern looking and more attractive than the old Mark 2D and Locomotive fleet that replaces it.
3. The signalling is being replaced.

So most of the ingredients are there. It just needs the right "cook" to put the recipe together and it should work. But.....this is Iarnrod Eireann we are talking about. Over time, the client base will expand, as the towns all have population growth.
dermo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2008, 17:56   #23
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
The track is new. Its far better than the very poor track that was there pre 2003, and the relay.
The track is better. Its not over the moon or anything but you do get some curves that just make you move side to side. I have to disagree with you the 2800 trains are worse, Comfort wise towards the MK2 fleet. The journey for some reason felt quicker than todays 2800 trains with the odd 29000 commuter train.

Reading back, There seems to be no demand behond Gorey, is this part that low? There always seems to be a bus load full from Wexford to Dublin and always people at the Gorey bus stop lots at that. I think IE have there times wrong people that I've seen, also seem to travel late morning.

"The right cook" I like that phrase!!
Unread 12-04-2008, 06:01   #24
dermo88

Much as I liked the Mark 2d fleet with 071 locomotives, their time was up, and using 2800's as a stopgap was the right thing to do, at least until the 22K's arrive(d). The only objection I have is that the 2800's are poor at getting over the hills compared to the 071's and even the 141's. Thats a personal observation, a unit with more power is required to tackle the hills. Thats why the slack in the timetable is there.

Even as early as McKinsey 1 back in 1971, this line was identified as having low levels of demand, except back then their proposal was to truncate the line at Arklow (then) the terminal point of the outer commuter train, and there were 14,000 users per annum beyond Gorey at that time....Fast forward 30 or more years, and there is some effort being made, but its a token effort. Bus Eireann have the bulk of the market share on the line now. and the confidence of the users. There are too many bad memories of dodgy Baby GM's, delays and overcrowding on it, which takes a generation to overcome. BUT, it has been reliable (overall) since 1997), apart from the relay and upgrade project which lasted a year. BUT - They will turn around at some future point and say.

"well we did put on additional services in 2007-2008 etc....and they were not used, so...."

More than likely this will happen if a recession hits, and both potential governing coalitions can do it for they tend to be more cautious with the national pursestrings in harder times (excepting Greystones DART aside), and they normally look at CIE's costs the moment they get in. A recession of any kind usually triggers this response. Mc Kinsey 2 (1980) stated that the decision to retain the railway would be politically based. Overall, however, Iarnrod Eireann, taking inflation into account is a much more efficient organisation than it was at that time.

Last edited by dermo88 : 12-04-2008 at 06:06.
dermo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 10:01   #25
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Much as I liked the Mark 2d fleet with 071 locomotives, their time was up.

14,000 users per annum beyond Gorey at that time....Fast forward 30 or more years, and there is some effort being made,

There are too many bad memories of dodgy Baby GM's, delays and overcrowding on it, which takes a generation to overcome. BUT,

"well we did put on additional services in 2007-2008 etc....and they were not used, so...."
I totally agree the mk2d fleet had its time, but instead of replacing the mk2d fleet with the firstly 2700 commuter trains which were just outrageous then the 2800's,The mk3 should have been booked for the line. I remember the first time I seen a 29000 Commuter train arriving into Gorey these trains were so much up to date than the 2800 they could handle the hills and gain speed much quicker.
I think the Rosslare line is lucky getting a service its only busy in the summer months but in order to get people back the journey time needs to be looked at and with new trains, I think the media would be the best option because there are people out there that dont follow the line/railway.(Example)When I heard the new trains on Sligo I wanted to travel on them and in doing so I would travel again.
The first train from Connolly the 07:26 to Rosslare this service should be killed I dodged this service one morning because of the lenght of time on this service and the number of stops. The first service because its early it is handy but if a person seen its timetable they will jump on the bus, Which Im sure people are doing. I think a clock face pattern would be best from Connolly-Rosslare and R to Connolly. I think something like the Galway layout 07:10, 10:30, 13:10, 15:10, 17:30, 19:10. The 10:30 and 15:10 would terminate at Wexford and travel back. I think new trains/new signalling/hopefully faster journey times then different travel times.
Unread 12-04-2008, 14:46   #26
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I'm sure we've gone over this but Mk3s can't operate the Rosslare line.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 16:00   #27
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

I got a mark 3 to Arklow from Dublin after an all ireland in maybe 90 ( galway beat kk) it was in push mode too (engine at the back)
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-04-2008, 21:54   #28
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The best time between Connolly and Bray is fixed at 35 minutes assuming a DART every 15 minutes

15+ minutes can be chopped off the Rosslare time south of Greystones
2hr30mins is the best time Dublin to Rosslare but if, lets assuming Connolly to Bray gets 35mins, From Bray to Rosslare lets say 2hrs(1hr55mins).

15+mins gets chopped off south of Greystones that leaves 1hr45mins it does'nt add up. Bray to Gorey is 1hr and not 1hr10mins aslike now. People are saying to themselfs Keith lay off this.Connolly to Bray is 35+10+13+11+15+11+17+23+15+5=2hr35mins That 5mins extra can be given to the trains passing, Driver change.

The ferries from Fishguard + Pembroke arrive into Rosslare at 06:00 & 06:15 I would have thought the 07:40 train to Dublin be busy with English travellers but then again it is 1hr30mins wait which lets be honest is alot. The 17:25 from Connolly to Enniscorthy+Rosslare which connects to the 21:15 to Fishguard(Stena Line) and the 21:00 to Pembroke(Irish Ferries) I would have also thought IE would have something on the Rosslare timetable stating Ferry Connection.

The Ferry from Fishguard + Pembroke arrives 18:00 & 18:15 into Rosslare is the 18:55 train not getting passengers. Its a real shame. I dare say the English has heard about the line

Last edited by KSW : 13-04-2008 at 22:07.