Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 29-01-2007, 10:15   #361
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Think the time has come to contact the RSC

Doors should not jam
Doors should be closed as they are part of the fire safety protocol
In the case of Portarlington with the short platform restriction of movement through the train by a door is a problem
Doors should not close on you
Doors should not shatter

Should note IE managers are well aware of these issues
Unread 30-01-2007, 13:16   #362
seamus kilcock
Regular Poster

Default cde 930 ex cork

Saw, what presumably was, the 0930 ex Cork crawling by Clondalkin at 1202 to-day Tuesday 30th Jan.
ETA Heuston 1225. Loads of padding!!!!
I think they are using Plat 5 for some of the Cork arrivals and it requires a switch from the up line to the down line for this. Not sure if this happens all the time?
Unread 30-01-2007, 14:29   #363
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is a mystery about platform 5, we know they can only park the Cork train in P4-8, P5 is special since it is accessible from both sides of Heuston

So typically arrive via the back end and leave via the front has the least impact on other trains

The padding is really noticeable if the train runs non stop Limerick Junction - Dublin
Unread 30-01-2007, 14:40   #364
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
There is a mystery about platform 5, we know they can only park the Cork train in P4-8, P5 is special since it is accessible from both sides of Heuston

So typically arrive via the back end and leave via the front has the least impact on other trains

The padding is really noticeable if the train runs non stop Limerick Junction - Dublin
Just to make to clear to our Irish Rail fans who visit our message boards (no.2 visitor on our stats, thank you , you really ought to take out an ad) we know why the CDE HAS to use those platforms, it isn't acceptable. HOW much money did you spend on Heuston and miss that? I wouldn't have you lot rebuild my Dog Kennel
Unread 30-01-2007, 14:43   #365
MrX
Really Regular Poster

I don't quite understand?

Why does it have to use those particular platforms?
Unread 30-01-2007, 14:53   #366
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

So to explain this

The new Cork train has retention toilets, so the tanks need to be emptied. When Heuston was rebuilt platforms 4 through 8 where equipped to allow the tanks to be emptied, platforms 1 through 3 where not

The tanks can't be emptied in Cork when the train is in service so they must be emptied either at night in Cork or in Dublin on the turnaround.

As a result the Cork train must use a platform number 4 or greater in Heuston, this has led to some very weird delays of trains sitting in Inchicore waiting for a platform in a station which had several empty platforms

Anyone who travels on the Cork train will know the toilets are regularly locked off in several coaches

Roll on intercity railcars should be fun
Unread 30-01-2007, 21:45   #367
Kildare Commuter
New to the board

Just to clarify, Platform 4 is accessible from both sides of the carraige shed also
Unread 04-02-2007, 15:36   #368
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Issue posted here some time ago

The catering PA (is situated towards the front/rear) is not software driven. The train manager manually triggers it by selecting the optional announcements screen and choosing the appropriate one from a list of about 5 or 6

So you have human error, this also explains the emergency pa I heard in December
Unread 05-02-2007, 10:08   #369
IHIR
Regular Poster

I wasnt on it now, someon told me form the train but apparently the Cork - Dublin train Saturday night had to stop at Portlaoise and bus up from there. €60 for that is a disgrace, presume they are entitled to some refund?

also noted on another thread about Cork transport that there was a newspaper report stating that the Cork Midleton line was given the nod by planners after the Oral hearing (good news) but instead of being operational by 2008 (as promised ad nauseam by Marty Cullen) it might now be 2010 .......or later
Unread 05-02-2007, 10:11   #370
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

20:30 from Cork is bus transfers Port Laois Dublin every Saturday till April owing to engineering works. Its been on the IE site for 3 weeks, its up at the stations and the journey planner shows the bus transfer
Unread 05-02-2007, 12:00   #371
lasno
New to the board

Default Smoking on new intercity cars

I was on the 1330 ex Cork to Heuston yesterday. A particular gentleman made regular visits to the toilet and made no attempt to hide the pack of cigarettes in his hand. I was seated near the end of the carriage and when the toilet door opened there was strong smell of cigarette smoke. The reason for my post is that I thought the new trains had smoke detectors fitted in the toilets!
Unread 05-02-2007, 12:12   #372
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As did I, that assumes the train host is keeping an eye on the computer screen which would flash up a message

Was on a Mk4 recently and someone did get caught
Unread 05-02-2007, 17:52   #373
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Simple sollution to that. The smoke detector should trigger the toilet door open button
and a suitably embarassing announcement.
Unread 08-02-2007, 14:26   #374
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Simple sollution to that. The smoke detector should trigger the toilet door open button and a suitably embarassing announcement.
And / or a water sprinkler.
Unread 08-02-2007, 15:00   #375
StephenM
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
And / or a water sprinkler.
That would solve the problem.
Unread 08-02-2007, 15:11   #376
2Funki4Wheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenM View Post
That would solve the problem.
And auto-lock the door so the soggy body can be pulled out at the next stop and fined the appropriate penalty. Does anyone ever ever get fined?

We must ask Derek the part-time smoker his opinion
Unread 17-02-2007, 07:03   #377
ESTRADE
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
No in seat entertainment

One toliet per coach, all of which are fully accessible and have baby changing facilities

Each coach can carry a wheelchair and has space and a restraining strap, a wheelchair passenger joined at Thurles and the doors are all wide enough

Buffet is quite different, its normal 2+2 seating to a glass partition, then there is a curved shop area all in stainless steel. The passage way through the Buffet is extremely tight, that said its not required by passengers

I don't have a full coach photo, its not easy when you have IE managers crawling over the place and passengers don't like been photographed. The trolley blocked my trip to explore the train. I did find the odometer panel and the CCTV camera. I didn't get into the first class section but its the same colour as the standard class but with 2+1 seats and table lamps
hello,

For me one (clean) toliet per coach is a good solution. In France(and on others continentalrailways companies like CFF or DB) there are two toilets in intercity carriages(corail or "Eurofima" carriages) but there is no babies facilities.

And a tank for one toliet is more reliable than 2 tanks for 2 toliets

Excuse for my bad english

Best regards

Arnaud
Unread 18-02-2007, 02:44   #378
luasifer
Regular Poster

Do the Mk4 trains not use the same toilet system as the Mk3s? Do the Mk3 trains not have retention toilets?
Unread 18-02-2007, 11:52   #379
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Mk3 has old fashioned non retention toilets though IE did issue a tender to convert them to retention but nothing was done

Mk4 is a retention tank and the tank is too small
Unread 18-02-2007, 23:34   #380
luasifer
Regular Poster

So does a non retention toilet discharge onto the tracks? I always thought that the Mk3 didnt do this. So what trains are retention ans which ones are not?
Closed Thread