Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-12-2006, 16:42   #61
2Funki4Wheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Well we could create a whole new chat thing

'corner the managers'

Yes they do take the train home, though in many cases not the service they are responsible for which explains a lot
And when they do get a train under their responsibility it always runs smoothly and when you raise a common complaint (lack of seats/left sitting on platform) they've never experienced anything like it and do a face.

And BTW definition of 'Web Chat' on google:
"A system that allows two or more logged-in users to set up a typed, real-time, on-line conversation across the World Wide Web."
Hmm.

Last edited by 2Funki4Wheelz : 07-12-2006 at 16:44.
2Funki4Wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2006, 16:50   #62
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

All the same its funny to see Dick Fearn doing timetable information on the DART

Now they do go and travel to view there empire, and everyone knows which train, even I've been told which train the boss is on

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 07-12-2006 at 16:54.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2006, 17:27   #63
Mark

All for free aswell might I add. The RPA boys have freetravel cards on Luas too.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2006, 19:29   #64
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default Fix

I have to agree, the whole thing seems fixed. There was not a single question that presently impacts most commuters (who were probably the main people who submitted questions).
Not a single question about:
Overcrowding/people fainting?
Delays with no reason given?
Signal failures causing delays?
Why drivers don't make announcments during delays?
Why CTC don't make announcements during delays?
During significant incidents, no contingency plans available?
Lack of evening/Saturday/Sunday services?

I could go on. I think these are the 'real' questions people want answered. If you asked the IE managers who turned up at Heuston recently, IMO these are the questions commuters want answered.
IMO the webchat was a complete fix. I don't even think 1/2 those questions were real. I wonder how many people saw through the whole thing..
Rashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2006, 19:31   #65
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well come on down to Heuston and go for them on Tuesday next
Unread 07-12-2006, 19:54   #66
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default Good idea

While the managers on the Southern and Western lines seem good at this, in the 9 years of using the Northern suburban/DART line, I have only once seen any of their management team engage commuters. That was at a public meeting about 6 years ago in Skerries covering services from malahide to Drogheda, when they were crucified about the poor service. Although Oliver and Stephen Murphy (I think!) tried their best at the time, I think they decided they'd never do that again.
Rashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2006, 20:01   #67
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Oliver Doyle and Michael Murphy would have been the 'victims' back then. Michael Murphy now runs Rosslare Port he is ex Navy so it makes sense

So the listing, they all commute by rail as far as I know

Southern and Western
Steve Murphy only manager to initiate any face to face contact with passengers, that said he travels on Tom Devoy's train set

Northern and Eastern
Cal Carmichael invisable haven't even got a photo let alone seen the guy. Only manager to travel home on a service under his responsibilty

DART
Tom Devoy, invisable never seen him, but I have a photo of him on file, he travels on Cal's train set

CEO
Dick Fearn, you do see him and he is fairly good with passengers, well known that he has a copy of the timetable on him at all times

We have a whos who http://www.platform11.org/passenger_info/whoswho.php You wont' find the names of any IE managers on the IE website, the only one you will find is no longer with the company

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 07-12-2006 at 20:12.
Unread 07-12-2006, 20:36   #68
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
i see a moderator coming................
Where? I'll get him. I fixed your quote by the way.

What sort of questions were asked?
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2006, 23:55   #69
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mulcahy View Post

What sort of questions were asked?
It was fairly standard stuff about bicycles on trains and so on. Some of their answers I have to question. Saying that demand on the Sligo line has increased since the 2900s were put in service for instance. I would have liked to know WHAT PART of the Sligo line the demand has increased. Certainly not from Longford out to Sligo from what I have seen. If anything the riderships seems to have collasped.

The Sixmilebridge station opening in 2008 was interesting. The only thing that annoyed me was how quick they were to shoot down the Phoenix Park Tunnel route, but they now boast about their "Western Rail Corridor" strategy. Apparently now the lads at IE think the idea of connecting Galway to Limerick is great (after decades of claiming their was no demand).

I wouldn't go as far as Rasher and call it a fix, but it was a typical PR stunt and nothing more than one would expect for such things.
Unread 08-12-2006, 10:12   #70
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Looking at the offical stats, Dublin Sligo

2005 Q1 217,000
2006 Q1 237,000
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:45   #71
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

Quote:
Looking at the offical stats, Dublin Sligo

2005 Q1 217,000
2006 Q1 237,000
But wht part of the Sligo line do these increases reflect? I suspect that the long distance Sligo line's Inter-City passengers have not increased - possibly the reverse from what I have seen. If ridership on the Sligo overall is up then great, but if the increases are with commuters within the GDR belt of the Sligo Line, then this not proof that the 2900's on the Sligo line were a success for long distance passengers.

Selective IE management spin is not always a true picture of what's happening on the ground. The Sligo line is 100 miles or so long and there is vastly different rail customer base in Sligo, than there is in Enfield. Until this numbers can be broken down across the Sligo line to show the true picture, then these numbers could well be a snow job using natual increases in GDR commuter numbers to mask the PR disaster that was the 2900s being put on long-distance Inter-City services.
Unread 08-12-2006, 12:06   #72
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The audit says 20,000 more Dublin Sligo journeys in the first 3 months of 2006 compared to same period 2005

Inbound commuter capacity beyond Maynooth is static in the mornings so the numbers are correct since 20,000 is 220 extra passengers a day so they can't be commuters since there isn't room for them

Also records a 6% increase in punctuailty from Q1 2005 to Q1 2006

Maynooth Dublin is up from 663,000 to 901,000 (36% increase) Q1 05 compared to Q1 06 so they ain't hiding it there

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 08-12-2006 at 12:12.
Unread 08-12-2006, 14:30   #73
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

I really can't bring myself to accept anything CIE/IE management states as face value - because they have decades of spoofery and spin behind them, and on this board and others almost on a weekly baisis they are caught out. Reality and CIE/IE PR are too very different things. I seem to recall IE management stating that the Rotem DMUs would not be going on the Sligo line and then suddenly Sligo was getting them, and not only that it was the first line to get them. That's speaks to me of damage control panic stations and hardly inspires one faith in anything these people say and even less in what they deliver.

I know this comes across of me being contradictory for the sake of it and arguing myself into a corner. But I dropped somebody off at the station the other morning on the Dublin train and it was mainly empty with the usual one or two pensioners on free travel passes in each 2900 carraige. The passengers west of Longford to me eyes seemed to have dried up in the last year. Seeing is believing. I know there are extra services and passenger might be spread more throughout the day, but there are not that many extra trains really. In terms of actual seat numbers is there really that big a difference between what the MK2s were offering with the old time table and the 2900s on the current timetable?

If numbers are up on the Sligo Line then that's great. But to my eyes they are not getting on and off in Sligo, Coolooney, Ballymote, Boyle and Carrick on Shannon in the numbers they were a few years back. The 2900's are practically empty west of Longford on most services. I mentioned this on another thread the most disheartening aspect I have noticed is the loss of the once major student traffic on the line. These are the rail passengers of the future - lose them now, they won't come back. It's wasn't like that with the Mrk2 (and no I am not nostalgic for them for the sake of it).

People can spot a inferior product when they are given one. A free travel pass might be enough to keep some on the long-distance 2900 services, but that's hardly a business model to go with.
Unread 08-12-2006, 14:46   #74
colmoc

Have to agree with you Nigel I used to go to college in Maynooth and the amount of student heading to sligo etc was massive, dont think this is the case from there now. Friend of mine still in college there says most people now get the bus or drive (the college is becoming a car park)
Unread 08-12-2006, 15:42   #75
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmoc View Post
Have to agree with you Nigel I used to go to college in Maynooth and the amount of student heading to sligo etc was massive, dont think this is the case from there now.
My memories are similar. Friday's there was always a huge crowd going to Sligo. My house mate was from Sligo and he used to debate which train to get as they were all always so busy.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 17:37   #76
constellation
Regular Poster

Quote:
Northern and Eastern
Cal Carmichael invisable haven't even got a photo let alone seen the guy. Only manager to travel home on a service under his responsibilty

DART
Tom Devoy, invisable never seen him, but I have a photo of him on file, he travels on Cal's train set
This is very interesting. I like that the managers travel on their "train sets". I just wish Tom Devoy would travel on his own "train set" so he could enjoy the 20 to 30 minute gaps in the timetable.

Off topic. I apologise. And now back to our regular programming...
constellation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-12-2006, 00:53   #77
hhf8
Regular Poster

just read the transcript on the site, and i nearly fell into it's trance,that was until they talk about the dart to drogheda!. have to agree with the others, the answers seemed very contrived and the answers were vague,some of them i think even conflicted with transport 21.

I liked how they are now evaluating power cars,looks like my prediction of them buying new gm locos could be right
hhf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-12-2006, 15:09   #78
Stephen O'Leary
New to the board

Default User Groups

Hi

I am looking for the email address of all the local user groups. If you know then can you send it to the Portarlingtonrailwayactiongroup@yahoo.co.uk
Stephen O'Leary is offline   Reply With Quote