Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 23-11-2006, 13:19   #1
Gary
Regular Poster

Default Port Tunnel

Just wondering if anyone knows if Bus Eireann or even Dub Bus are going to make use of the Port Tunnel. All buses with over 25 Seats can avail free of charge.

Could be a ideal way of getting the North Bound (incld Air Coach) buses out of the Busaras up the quays (bus lane?) and then out onto the M1. Esp at rush hour till could work if the proper bus lanes from the city centre to the Port Tunnel were in place
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-11-2006, 13:53   #2
markpb

I think the Airlink (747, 748) will probably use it, the 746 might. There was rumour of some of the Swords buses using it but I'm not sure if that will happen, it would leave Santry/Swords road badly covered.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-11-2006, 14:09   #3
Gary
Regular Poster

What about the height? Can it take a Double Decker Bus?

Certainly the Aircoach would fit perfect, from O'Connell Bridge to the Airport in 30 Minutes? Might even be quicker than the Metro!
Unread 23-11-2006, 14:13   #4
markpb

All I can find on the web is that Dennis Trident buses (which DB trialled before) are 4.5m high, the max operating heigh of the tunnel is 4.65 so I'd imagine they should be able to use it.
Unread 23-11-2006, 14:15   #5
Brian Condron

Double decker buses will fit grand. They are 4.3m high and the tunnel can cater for anything up to 4.65m. Aircoach bses are actually not that lower than double decker buses as they have the big luggage area under the passenger area.

The only thing that wont fit into the tunnel are the giant supertrucks, which were not widely used in Ireland until the tunnel was ready to be started, and the clearence height known.
Brian Condron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-11-2006, 14:40   #6
Gary
Regular Poster

In that Case the tunnel could open a few options for express public transport.

You could run the 746 Bus to the airport along the South Eastern, route Via Proposed Point Village & Luas Terminal, East Link, Ringsend (New Dev at South Wharf), Sandymount, Blackrock, Dun Laoire.

Also you could have the 747 go from Tara Street Stn to Busaras via Quays Bus Lane to Tunnel to the Airport. Journey time Butt Bridge to Airport 30mins at rush hour seem realistic? Certainly be lot quicker than the current Malahide Road/ Fairview route.
Unread 23-11-2006, 14:43   #7
markpb

The 747s and 748s don't have a fixed route from the city centre to the airport so they pick and choose the fastest route based on traffic. Totally agreed, though, I'd would be madness not to use DPT for at least some express routes.
Unread 23-11-2006, 14:55   #8
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Condron View Post
Double decker buses will fit grand. They are 4.3m high and the tunnel can cater for anything up to 4.65m. Aircoach bses are actually not that lower than double decker buses as they have the big luggage area under the passenger area.

The only thing that wont fit into the tunnel are the giant supertrucks, which were not widely used in Ireland until the tunnel was ready to be started, and the clearence height known.
And the gov told DCC theyd be banned by the time construction starts..
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-11-2006, 15:20   #9
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
They are hardly used. I can only think of 1 that I have ever seen and I live on the quays. They are banned in all of Europe except here and UK (which does happen to be our main trading partner).
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-11-2006, 15:40   #10
Gary
Regular Poster

Yea I don't they're a big deal, Agros and some other dept store uses them, worse case I hear they always hold back all the big trucks and let them use the certain of the road to get through.

Until the Metro is built Swords has one of the largest bus using commutter areas in Dublin. Putting even a couple of the 33X (Skerries) 41X (Swords) services via the tunnel say termininating in the IFSC. Remember the Port Tunnel is now going to be beside IFSC/ Spencer Dock/ East Point business parks who collectively employ over 30,000 people.
Unread 23-11-2006, 15:40   #11
Mark

Less than 1% of all Dublin Port Traffic and around 9% of all HGV Dublin Port Traffic. I myself have only ever seen one and they are huge.

The actually came about when hauliers in the UK found that when transporting light weight products like toilet paper, clothing etc that they would fill their truck long before they fill their wieght restriction and thus taller trucks were born.

Even with the DPT restriction there is still a use for them in Ireland. Argos and An Port have a few of them I believe.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-11-2006, 22:30   #12
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
And then the state sanctioned its own body, An Post, to buy said supertrucks. Argos aren't the only suspects.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-11-2006, 22:57   #13
Brian Condron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
And then the state sanctioned its own body, An Post, to buy said supertrucks. Argos aren't the only suspects.
Are you serious? Sometimes the left hand doesn't have a clue what the left hand is doing in this country!
Brian Condron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-11-2006, 09:39   #14
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Didn't the Government have a legal natiowide height restriction and when they tried to reduce it the hauliers lobbied hard against it?

End result, the governemnt decided to get rid of the height restriction full stop.
Navan Junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-11-2006, 10:21   #15
colmoc

Abit off the topic I know but why do hauliers seem to have so much sway with the government.
colmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-11-2006, 10:54   #16
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Straingely enough, the Road Hauliers Assoc. are of the impression that they are not really accomodated by Government and that they are too small to be an effective lobby group. They cite this issue and others (tolling mainly) as evidence that they DONT get much leeway with the government.
Unread 24-11-2006, 11:54   #17
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
Straingely enough, the Road Hauliers Assoc. are of the impression that they are not really accomodated by Government and that they are too small to be an effective lobby group. They cite this issue and others (tolling mainly) as evidence that they DONT get much leeway with the government.
Are you sure? Often when new toll roads come into effect the hauliers refuse to use them and still go the old route. Surely the government could ban HGVs from said routes if they were not worried about something.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-11-2006, 13:13   #18
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

I'd say the single most compelling piece of evidence the govt does care more for truckers is the fact that when a stationary truck starts moving and kills somebody standing in front of them, instead of making it compulsory for truckers to fit mirrors/sensors to eliminate blind spots, the govt spends money instead "educating" its citizens that truckers have impaired vision.

I'm trying to think of some other situation that regularily occurs where people are killed and the killers excused so easily.

The lack of action with truckers hitting railway bridges is yet another thing.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-11-2006, 13:19   #19
CSL

although an attractive line of reasoning, probably a better line

would be : businesses know costs will go up [ i.e. pay more in haulage ]
if more lorries be used

=> makes sense to reduce number of lorries
=> makes sense to make trucks bigger.

=> follow the money. Road Hauliers are a competitive lot and many of them are quite small so they share little information
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-11-2006, 14:12   #20
Gary
Regular Poster

Just curious as to how far they could use the tunnel for, could they send buses for Navan and on wards to Monaghan - Derry buses out the DPT and along the M50. Could the M50 hard shoulder be used as a bus lane?

Big problem is still going to be a northbound lane feeding the M50 from the M1. Make for some interesting viewing in 4 weeks time!