Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 10-11-2006, 10:38   #21
colmoc

Another pathetic joke.
Is anybody else just sick to death of this half arsed game that the politicians of Ireland are playing with our lives.
Not only was I 1/2 of an hour late for work this morning due to IE's complete incompetence to run a transport service but I read about Martin cullens fantastic foresight to drop this issue from the DTA's remit.

what a hopeless hole this country can be sometimes
Unread 10-11-2006, 11:20   #22
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

What most people have not spotted is page 41 where the report is signed March 28th 2006

Yesterday was November 9th

Where did the other 7 odd months go? Its yet more evidence of Cullen sitting on and holding up serious progress in Dublin Transport, I could understand a months delay buts its only 51 pages and its not unlike you could have guessed what is coming
Unread 10-11-2006, 11:33   #23
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

It's actually on the front cover
"March 2006"
Unread 10-11-2006, 13:57   #24
Dave
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
What most people have not spotted is page 41 where the report is signed March 28th 2006

Yesterday was November 9th

Where did the other 7 odd months go? Its yet more evidence of Cullen sitting on and holding up serious progress in Dublin Transport, I could understand a months delay buts its only 51 pages and its not unlike you could have guessed what is coming
Disgraceful

It seems like the legislation is drafted and ready to go. Does it take 7 months drafting legislation as complex as this?
Unread 10-11-2006, 14:06   #25
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Disgraceful

It seems like the legislation is drafted and ready to go. Does it take 7 months drafting legislation as complex as this?
Well it does take time and this is very complex since it relates to several bodies and has widespread impact, but we should have had the report in public within a month of it being finished, its contents are hardly unexpected

I doubt we will be seeing this anytime soon, buried in the report is a need to totally restructure CIE, it shouldn't have any union impact all it changes is management and funding however when that great day arrives that the DTA put the foot down it on service provision things are going to get really painfull in Irish Rail since the current love in they have with the DoT will be gone

All this service standard stuff already exists but is not legally enforceable, then again no one has ever seen the standard
Unread 10-11-2006, 18:00   #26
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Good Report.

Minister Bins it.

Head walks away.

Great days work for the DoT.
Unread 10-11-2006, 23:50   #27
alek smart

I don`t Know about anybody else but this represents yet another underlining of our national weakness for forward planning.

From my perspective the Essence of the "New" Dublin Transport Authority was always going to be the power it would have to excercise Authoritative Power over what has become a national shambles concerning Planning and Development.

Mr Cullen might as well have closed the book and walked off the stage.
Without this essential element of AUTHORITY the DTA simply becomes yet another comfy board for Taoisigh to appoint "Friends" to.

We all remember Prof O Mahoneys opening salvo when she took up her interim appointment.
She was quite precise in her outlining of "Knocking Heads Together" as being something she would not shirk from if it came to that.

Well we now know that that awful scenario will not now happen,and the long established 4 ball`s will remain as peaceful and undisturbed as ever...

Sadly for Dublin we shall now have to watch as T21 descends into a fudge of well meaning chaotic spending with little real focus.

The predominance of the Local Government machine has been underlined and Ministers need not fret over the Democratic Process being undermined.
The confidence which this Political elite possess is shown by the barefaced straight face on the Minister as he rubbed the good prof`s nose in his Political Litter Tray.

I predict a very well defined slide into T21 chaos as the power struggles continue and I will be as surprised as hell if we even get the Drumcondra Station Bus Interchange as far as a detailed drawing....
Unread 11-11-2006, 00:46   #28
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alek smart View Post
I don`t Know about anybody else but this represents yet another underlining of our national weakness for forward planning.

From my perspective the Essence of the "New" Dublin Transport Authority was always going to be the power it would have to excercise Authoritative Power over what has become a national shambles concerning Planning and Development.

Mr Cullen might as well have closed the book and walked off the stage.
Without this essential element of AUTHORITY the DTA simply becomes yet another comfy board for Taoisigh to appoint "Friends" to.

We all remember Prof O Mahoneys opening salvo when she took up her interim appointment.
She was quite precise in her outlining of "Knocking Heads Together" as being something she would not shirk from if it came to that.

Well we now know that that awful scenario will not now happen,and the long established 4 ball`s will remain as peaceful and undisturbed as ever...

Sadly for Dublin we shall now have to watch as T21 descends into a fudge of well meaning chaotic spending with little real focus.

The predominance of the Local Government machine has been underlined and Ministers need not fret over the Democratic Process being undermined.
The confidence which this Political elite possess is shown by the barefaced straight face on the Minister as he rubbed the good prof`s nose in his Political Litter Tray.

I predict a very well defined slide into T21 chaos as the power struggles continue and I will be as surprised as hell if we even get the Drumcondra Station Bus Interchange as far as a detailed drawing....
Well Im on your team Billy and the longer it goes on the more vocal I'll get. Im sure my opinions are well documented.

Con Job!
Unread 11-11-2006, 12:13   #29
Mark

Dublin Transport Authority 1986 - 1987
Dublin Transportation Office 1995 - 2006
Dublin Transport Authority 2006 - ?

Have we gone full circle?

History has shown that if it isnt given the proper powers and freedom it will fail, simple as that.
Unread 11-11-2006, 13:12   #30
ccos

From todays Irish Examiner
Quote:
11 November 2006

RPA attacks Cullen’s plans to replace it with new agency

By Seán McCárthaigh
THE State body with current responsibility for the development of a Metro for Dublin has hit out at plans by the Transport Minister, Martin Cullen, to replace it with a new agency.

The Railway Procurement Agency (RPA) yesterday warned that proposals announced earlier this week by Mr Cullen to establish a Dublin Transport Authority (DTA) with sweeping powers over existing public transport companies could delay plans to complete the Metro by 2013.

In a statement released yesterday, the RPA stressed that it fully supported the establishment of the new body if it could “add value” to the work of existing transport bodies in implementing the Government’s Transport 21 programme for the greater Dublin region.

However, the RPA said it disagreed with Mr Cullen’s proposals that it should be fully absorbed into the new DTA.

The minister has approved the recommendations contained in the report of an advisory group that the DTA should take over direct responsibility for several key rail projects from the RPA, including the metro and an underground rail interconnector.

The RPA said the proposals would effectively lead to the dismantling and abolition of an agency which had built up a proven track record in recent years at delivering successful rail projects like Luas.

It questioned the rationale for such a decision due to the amount of work already carried out on future projects by the RPA.

“The report does not provide a credible explanation as to why a new State agency is required to take over the implementation of Metro and Luas projects whose planning is now well advanced,” said the RPA statement.

It pointed out that the RPA had already developed significant momentum on plans for the Metro and other projects like extensions to the two existing Luas lines.

The RPA warned that the establishment of a new body to take control of such projects could also cause confusion and consequent delays for such landmark projects.

It is understood that the RPA would be reluctant to issue any legal contracts relating to the Metro, given plans for its replacement by the DTA.

The RPA’s opposition to the DTA comes as another setback to Mr Cullen as the head of the advisory group, Professor Margaret O’Mahony, declined to accept the position of interim chairperson of the DTA.

It is believed that Prof O’Mahony was surprised that one of her group’s recommendations about the powers to be given to the DTA on the issue of land use had been rejected by Mr Cullen. However, she has indicated that the issue was not the reason for her decision to turn down the interim chair of the DTA.

Meanwhile CIÉ has declined to comment on the proposed new body.

Under the minister’s proposals, the DTA will assume major financial powers over the operations in the greater Dublin area of the group’s three main transport companies — Dublin Bus, Iarnród Éireann and Bus Éireann.

Click here for irishexaminer.com stories before this date
Unread 11-11-2006, 19:59   #31
Derek Wheeler

Its not the RPAs fault, but it should've been done that way from the start. They are victims of poor Governance. As for the other bunch...

Quote:
Meanwhile CIÉ has declined to comment on the proposed new body.
50 years of hardened, dogmatic resistance to change, so why would this news bother them.

In my opinion, the current Governments poor record in transport is coming back to haunt them via the proposed DTA. It should've been the first thing they did upon gaining power. It made sense then and it makes sense now, but a lot of water has been forced under the bridge since.

This issue will turn into a charade.
Unread 11-11-2006, 23:12   #32
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Now the RPA is a little bit annoyed that they are to be merged (abolished really) and this will set them back a good few years.

Which may be just what the minister ordered.
Unread 12-11-2006, 12:00   #33
philip

I don't understand why the RPA needs abolishing because of the DTA though. Surely the DTA should be the 'GOD' authority. They don't need to actually procure the infrastructure, just make sure that the agencies work together in integration etc. The RPA afterall has responsibility for the whole country, not just Dublin.
Unread 12-11-2006, 19:23   #34
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
The RPA afterall has responsibility for the whole country, not just Dublin.
In reality they don't. All of their projects over the next decade are Dublin based. The confusion started when the Gov portrayed them as a type of RPA clone. That was a bad move. Best way forward now is as you say. Let them get on with it, but answer directly to the RPA.
Unread 12-11-2006, 19:48   #35
Dave
Regular Poster

Surely the solution is to simply rename the RPA to the DTA infrastructure procurement division
Unread 12-11-2006, 23:49   #36
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

The most interesting issue in all this is that CIE having to get permission off the new authority if they want to sell land. To me personally this represents enough reason for the authority to be given all the power it needs. I can only imagine how they reacted in the CIE board room when that bit of news came in.
Unread 13-11-2006, 11:37   #37
Dave
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fitzgricer View Post
The most interesting issue in all this is that CIE having to get permission off the new authority if they want to sell land. To me personally this represents enough reason for the authority to be given all the power it needs. I can only imagine how they reacted in the CIE board room when that bit of news came in.
Yeah I was highy amused reading that bit too.

I just wish this had of been done years ago before Treasury holdings got their hands on Spencer Dock.
Unread 29-11-2006, 01:10   #38
Dave
Regular Poster

Will Platform 11 be making a submission about the DTA before Friday's deadline and if so will members get to see it?
Closed Thread