Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Galway - Limerick - Waterford - Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 14-09-2010, 17:43   #1
iknowwhereiamgoing
New to the board

Default Freight On The Railways

Whilst very few freight operations would be possible without a subsidy. Remember Railways have a disadvantage of having to maintain their infrastructure whilst lorries do not. A subsidy helps to close this disadvantage. There are many reasons why it is better to move freight from the roads to the railways. Air polution, congestion and for green issues. One freight train takes many lorry loads off the roads. It was mentioned that the single track limits train movements & limits the scope for expansion. Better timetabling and investments in passing loops and dualing the busier sections would partly aleviate this problem. If some of the vast amounts of money that was spent on these motorways had been spent on the rail network then it would have been in much better shape to compete
iknowwhereiamgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2010, 18:52   #2
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowwhereiamgoing View Post
One freight train takes many lorry loads off the roads.
Only if going from one railhead to another, only if it's okay that it all go at once, and only if it's okay to delay it in transit to allow priority to passenger traffic. Even semistates like An Post and Bord na Mona which you would think could be leaned on no longer use mainline freight rail.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2010, 20:09   #3
corktina
Regular Poster

Its not as simple as one freight train equals so many lorries.

The freight will have to be delivered to the railhead (by truck as often as not) and loaded. This takes time. Whilst the first wagon is being loaded, the truck that brought it to the railhead could have be on its way to destination and so could all the other trucks so that by the time the 40th truck has discharged into the rail wagon , the first lorry might nearly have arrived. The same applies when the freight train arrives at destination only to take time unloading into lots of trucks for possibly many destinations, to which the original Lorries could of course have gone to directly.This is a disadvantage only countered by long distances, of which there arent any in Ireland as already said..

Add to this that there really arent any bulk flows of goods available for rail to move anyway and the conclusion is rail freight is a dead duck.

Last edited by corktina : 14-09-2010 at 20:11.
corktina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-09-2010, 11:08   #4
ccos

Quote:
Railways sure as eggs ARE in competition with Motorwyas and if they donbt buck up their ideas and improve their services they are going to be on a downward spiral.
I have to disagree, name one country that has better rail services then Ireland that doesn't have far better motorway infrastructure.

Quote:
If you look at the Sligo line, what has made a massive difference is the two-hour service
despite the road improvements to Sligo
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-09-2010, 12:36   #5
corktina
Regular Poster

Other countries are not that relevant here. They tend to be more populous if they have better rail and motorway.

In any case I nominate the UK. Try to find a motorway from Reading to Birmingham (ie second busiest provincial station to first busiest.) You would either have to travel as far as Oxford on second rate A road or use M4 to join A34 (trunk road, more or less a motorway) to Oxford again...the long way round

Most of the main irish routes now ahve or soon will have paralell motorways.
Unread 15-09-2010, 14:31   #6
Fergal

Quote:
Originally Posted by corktina View Post
Other countries are not that relevant here. They tend to be more populous if they have better rail and motorway.

In any case I nominate the UK. Try to find a motorway from Reading to Birmingham (ie second busiest provincial station to first busiest.) You would either have to travel as far as Oxford on second rate A road or use M4 to join A34 (trunk road, more or less a motorway) to Oxford again...the long way round

Most of the main irish routes now ahve or soon will have paralell motorways.
What? Reading to Birmingham is grade-separated dual carriageway the whole way: M4, A34, M40 is a direct route. Britain's motorway and dual carriageway network is comprehensive, and long distance buses are not really popular there - they are seen as only an option for very tight budgets.

Cars are not a huge threat to the rail service, as people who drive a lot don't take the train now, and never did before, and the number of cars in Ireland is not growing.

However, fast, cheap, bus services ARE a threat, especially as they are cheap. But they are not faster than the train on any route yet, and trains will still miles ahead on comfort. Train travel has not suffered a bigger loss then other public transport numbers in this recession yet.

Although, some countries have protected their train service from buses - it's illegal to run intercity bus services in Germany, for example. Not that I would advocate this here.
Fergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-09-2010, 14:54   #7
corktina
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergal View Post
What? Reading to Birmingham is grade-separated dual carriageway the whole way: M4, A34, M40 is a direct route. Britain's motorway and dual carriageway network is comprehensive, and long distance buses are not really popular there - they are seen as only an option for very tight budgets.

Cars are not a huge threat to the rail service, as people who drive a lot don't take the train now, and never did before, and the number of cars in Ireland is not growing.

However, fast, cheap, bus services ARE a threat, especially as they are cheap. But they are not faster than the train on any route yet, and trains will still miles ahead on comfort. Train travel has not suffered a bigger loss then other public transport numbers in this recession yet.

Although, some countries have protected their train service from buses - it's illegal to run intercity bus services in Germany, for example. Not that I would advocate this here.
It is not a direct route...you have to drive 20 miles west before heading North. Noone, except for trucks who are obliged too, uses that route.

I enjoy the relaxing train journey but it doesnt go from where I am to where I want to be like my car does , it takes longer (and a lot longer as more mways open) and it costs a lot more. I can also bring passengers with me for free. No contest Im afraid and my point is that a lot more people will be following that path as they realise the train is not quicker, not cheaper and not easier.
Unread 17-09-2010, 07:17   #8
on the move
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergal
I don't know if you're referring to Irish bus services, but if you are, you're wrong I'm afraid. Dublin-Galway can be done by bus in just over 2 hours. Dublin-Belfast can be done by bus in a very competitive time than with the train service, runs hourly, it doesn't get bombed, takes you to the city centre in Belfast, and is a fraction of the price.

Tomorrow will be a very sad day in Irish Rail's history.