Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Nenagh Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27-03-2016, 18:14   #1
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
What is the current setup for this line for signalling and level crossings? Are these still all manual or have they largely been sorted out? If they're still stuck needing a couple of dozen people just to keep the line open, it's hard to see any long-term future for the line.
All signalled manually via three signal boxes at Killonan Junction, Birdhill and Roscrea.

All level crossings bar one are manually operated (and there are a lot!).

Last edited by berneyarms : 27-03-2016 at 19:11.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 18:55   #2
Deedsie
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
All signalled manually via three signal boxes at Killonan Junction, Birdhill and Roscrea.

All level crossings are manually operated (and there are a lot!).
Is there anyway to find out exactly how many level crossings there are? Is there a GIS map viewer or anything?
Deedsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 19:04   #3
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedsie View Post
Is there anyway to find out exactly how many level crossings there are? Is there a GIS map viewer or anything?
12 in total - 10 between Killonan Jctn and Birdhill, and 2 between Roscrea and Ballybrophy.

There are a reasonable number of accommodation crossings on top of that.

Last edited by berneyarms : 27-03-2016 at 19:13.
Old 27-03-2016, 19:32   #4
Deedsie
New to the board

Quote:
12 in total - 10 between Killonan Jctn and Birdhill, and 2 between Roscrea and Ballybrophy.

There are a reasonable number of accommodation crossings on top of that.
Hi Berney,

Thanks for the reply. Do the accommodation crossing impact on journey times to the same as the level crossings do? Has there ever been an attempt to automate the level crossings or remove them completely?
Old 27-03-2016, 19:48   #5
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

All crossings impact on journey times.

I'm not aware of any modernisation plans.

I'm afraid you're on a hiding to nothing here.

The line would would require hundreds of millions of euro to be brought up to an acceptable standard and that is frankly needed more elsewhere.
Unread 27-03-2016, 21:27   #6
Deedsie
New to the board

Quote:
All crossings impact on journey times.

I'm not aware of any modernisation plans.

I'm afraid you're on a hiding to nothing here.

The line would would require hundreds of millions of euro to be brought up to an acceptable standard and that is frankly needed more elsewhere.
Ah I like a challenge, and it's something to say to politicians when they come to the door. It's not the most important project by a good distance but small regular investment could improve the line to keep it active.

I agree you but I would just say investment is needed equally elsewhere. The line needs to be upgraded... When was the last big investment in this line?

Last edited by Deedsie : 27-03-2016 at 22:33.
Unread 28-03-2016, 07:29   #7
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

As Berney Arms says, despite relaying half the line in recent years as well as renewing fences, bridges and level crossings, Irish Rail have almost zero interest in the route. Little attempt has been made to make the service relevant and consequently it justs limps aimlessly along delivering little or no value to the taxpayer.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2016, 11:58   #8
Deedsie
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
As Berney Arms says, despite relaying half the line in recent years as well as renewing fences, bridges and level crossings, Irish Rail have almost zero interest in the route. Little attempt has been made to make the service relevant and consequently it justs limps aimlessly along delivering little or no value to the taxpayer.
I understand. Its a shame as it serves an area of the midwest without many jobs and an improved public infrastructure for the area to bring workers where there are jobs. Limerick or Dublin would be a great help.

I am not a fanatic, I totally understand that there are far more worthy projects. Dart Underground etc.

But if there was say €10 million to spend on improving the line. Where would that be best spent?
Unread 23-11-2016, 17:30   #9
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

The Ballybrophy/Limerick line is afficted by level crossings, particularly between Birdhill and Killonan. There are a very large number of accommodation crossings as well but oddly enough they seem to have more of an impact on this line than any other line. For instance there are plenty of accommodation crossings between Limerick and Limerick Junction as well and although the general speed limit on this line has been reduced from 80 to 60 mph it is still well above the 30/40 mph deemed necessary on long lengths of upgraded track on the Nenagh line.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-11-2016, 18:58   #10
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
The Ballybrophy/Limerick line is afficted by level crossings, particularly between Birdhill and Killonan. There are a very large number of accommodation crossings as well but oddly enough they seem to have more of an impact on this line than any other line. For instance there are plenty of accommodation crossings between Limerick and Limerick Junction as well and although the general speed limit on this line has been reduced from 80 to 60 mph it is still well above the 30/40 mph deemed necessary on long lengths of upgraded track on the Nenagh line.
The whole accommodation crossings treatment on the notwork is completely different. Between Cherryville-Carlow they have a 100 mph sign out for a short section before dropping an 80 mph to pass a crossings before another 100 mph. It's ridiculous on two fronts, one been signs are located so close to crossings and two I don't think a few miles less will change the outcome of any potential incident.

One section is 80 (1/4 mile), 100 (1 1/4 mile), 80 (1/2 mile), 100 (1 1/2 mile), 80 (1/2 mile), 100 (3/4 mile). That is over around 6 miles.....there is one section of about 5 miles (no crossing) and you can do 100, that's about the only time most drivers even bother.

It will never be possible to get rid of such crossings so are we going be left with a network capped at max of 80 on all routes (outside Cork, no such crossings) because of such crossings.

I get the safety aspect but surly procedure review with owners could minimize risks of higher speeds for the most part.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-03-2016, 23:40   #11
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedsie View Post
On this map: http://www.irishrail.ie/timetables/live-map-intercity zoom in to Tipperary and click 'Level Crossings'.

This is a work in progress: http://product.itoworld.com/map/258?...ullscreen=true vehicle crossings (automatic, manual or accommodation) in green, pedestrian crossings in blue.

ITO World is based on OpenStreetMap, which is a work in progress. The Irish Rail data is generally more complete, but is variable in quality.
Unread 29-03-2016, 10:20   #12
Deedsie
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
On this map: http://www.irishrail.ie/timetables/live-map-intercity zoom in to Tipperary and click 'Level Crossings'.

This is a work in progress: http://product.itoworld.com/map/258?...ullscreen=true vehicle crossings (automatic, manual or accommodation) in green, pedestrian crossings in blue.

ITO World is based on OpenStreetMap, which is a work in progress. The Irish Rail data is generally more complete, but is variable in quality.
Great links... Thanks so much.

Wow there is so much to it. Limerick to Birdhill has so many level crossings it would need massive investment. As would Nenagh to Ballybrophy.

All very depressing. What would be the best use of money to invest in the line though?
Unread 22-05-2021, 06:05   #13
Deedsie
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post

ITO world seems to have ceased operation. Dont think the Kilonan junction to Ballybrophy line was ever done on openstreetmap.
Unread 25-05-2021, 14:53   #14
Deedsie
New to the board

https://tippfm.com/news/transport/ba...-matter-weeks/

Quote:
Irish Rail has confirmed that daily services on the Ballybrophy-Limerick rail line will resume on June 21st.

The service, which stops in Roscrea, Cloughjordan, Nenagh and Birdhill, has been off the rails for much of the last 15 months due to the pandemic.

Despite the closure of the Ballybrophy-Limerick rail line, extensive works are continuing to upgrade large portions of the track.

Irish Rail says this currently involves five miles of track renewal, extensive fibre cable works, and bridge works at Ballycahill Bridge near Nenagh.

Calls are continuing for greater services and higher speeds on the route, but Irish Rail spokesperson Barry Kenny has urged caution on such a prospect.

He says that the extensive track renewal will not be the sole determining factor for line speeds, as there are also 126 level crossings on less than 53 miles of track.

He goes on to say that Irish Rail is engaging with the Department of Transport on possible funding to address level crossings and other improvement works which would allow for journey time improvements.

Unread 19-06-2021, 20:20   #15
Deedsie
New to the board

Dear Friends, I just created the petition: Upgrade and Invest in the Limerick – Nenagh – Ballybrophy Railway Line. It would mean a lot to me if you took a moment to add your name because: The Limerick - Nenagh - Ballybrophy Railway is a vital piece of national rail infrastructure but it is in desperate need of upgrade and investment. Public transport throughout the Midwest region is not good enough. I would hope people throughout the Midwest and supporters of the rail network throughout Ireland would support our campaign. Our requests are not unreasonable, they are modest practical requests that would massively improve the services available on the line. Your support would be greatly appreciated. https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/upgra...y-railway-line Real change happens when everyday people like you and I come together and stand up for what we believe in. Together we can reach lots of people and help create change around this important issue. After you've signed the petition, could you also take a moment to share it with others? It's really easy – all you need to do is forward this email. Thank you!