Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-08-2007, 20:14   #1
ciaram
New to the board

Thumbs down [17-8-2007] Double breakdown

Hi, longtime reader, firstime (P11 that is, not IE) complainer...

Caught the 7.26 2800 ex Connolly-Rosslare in Dun Laoghaire (to avoid the now usual 4 car Friday syndrome). All going well until we came to a rather rapid halt just south of Arklow. After a 10 minute wait we arrived in Gorey about 9.35 to the dulcet tones of the drive announcing that the train was now going out of service and a bus would collect onward passengers. The train departed Dublin-wards with great speed and an assortment of passengers started making frantic phonecalls. 50 minutes later a bus did eventually arrive, but in the meantime the 7.40 Rosslare-Connolly 29000passed at approximately 10.05 having suffered an earlier fault.

Since my sister was coming down later in the day I naturally checked the website once I got home to check the "latest updates" but not a mention of the fun on the Rosslare line.

I was rather interested in how IE planned to run the 13.40 train back to Connolly considering there was now no train there but, alas, no mention on the website.

Obviously leaving Arklow the drive knew there was a problem, yet failed to announce to the passengers, also, guessing by the time the bus took to get to Gorey, he somewhat neglected to let Gorey know as well.

At least I managed to get a nice photo of the poster in Gorey showing the 22000 and saying "Arriving this autumn".
ciaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-08-2007, 11:47   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This is all but too typical of the Rosslare line

Irish Rail hide any delay or cancellation safe in the knowledge that few people actually know it happened, we rely on people posting experiences. If it was a DART issue we kinda notice the lack of a rumble on the bridge outside.

Its hard to know if the driver did know before reaching Gorey bar the Rosslare train was late since they pass in Arklow. There is an ongoing issue with staff not being upfront with important information. The only train to fail was the 7:40 from Rosslare, your train was used to fill in for it back to Dublin.

Looks like you where close to a hour late so
http://www.platform11.org/passenger_...hp#their_fault again Irish Rail won't tell you this

The rather ancient locomotives and coaches never gave this much trouble, Rosslare line is known as a railcar killer, the commuter railcars are just not designed for it.

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 18-08-2007 at 11:50.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 01:01   #3
Pierce
New to the board

Default Double Breakdown

I was going to Dublin that day from Wexford, I decided to take Bus Eireann because I never never take the bus P.S-Never again it felt so long. Just after reading the Gorey forum's and they are getting a 16:40 to Gorey I hope the Rosslare services improve this year.
Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote