Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 30-09-2006, 21:27   #1
Philly
Regular Poster

Exclamation Today's Star[B][I]"Unsafe" train halted by angry protestor [/I][/B]

"Unsafe" train halted by angry protestor

Edited

A furious passenger was so concerned with over-crowding on yesterday's Dublin-Waterford train he put his life in danger to hold it up in a protest.

Jason Hogan, from Newbridge, was travelling home on the 4:25 train from Heuston to Waterford when he became so exasperated at the over-crowding that he had to act.

"When I got onto the train it was absolutely packed..." Jason said.

"I complained to IE staff on the platform but they said there was nothing they could do. As the train pulled out I was really concerned, it was unsafe, there were up to twenty people standing in the passageway alone. So I rang the HSA from my mobile but they said it wasn't their area."

He then rang the Gardaí, who contacted CIE. "I knw they would do nothing about it, complaints always fall on deaf ears with CIE".

"Thats when I decided to act, I was deeply concerned for my own and the other passenger's safety."

When the train arrived at Hazelhatch, Jason jumped out and stopped the doors from closing.

For 20 mins. the train was held up as Jason refused to move. Staff at Hazelhatch called the Gardaí. When they arrived Jason locked himself in the toilet. "They forced the door open and led me away, CIE are likely to press charges but I'm glad I did what I did. Somebody has to take a stand. Conditions on trains are just terrible."

A spokesman for CIE said there was no danger... it was a matter of comfort not safety...
Unread 30-09-2006, 21:47   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Headcase, the act of holding up the train in fact prolonged the suffering of other passengers, a lot of whom would have got out before Kildare anyway

This kind of action is not going to solve the problem, it is likely that IE will bill this individual for the delayed minutes

There is no legal guidance set down on overcrowding in Ireland or indeed the UK or in Europe which leaves us in limbo
Unread 30-09-2006, 23:50   #3
Philly
Regular Poster

I agree - he went slightly over the top!

There should be a limit on the numbers of people allowed on board though. Also, CIE should not be allowed to advertise their services if many are already being used at a level they can't handle.
Unread 01-10-2006, 10:18   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There are no advertisements for any service except for the seat booking which ensures you a seat thus gets around the overcrowding. All there is a timetable, so you can't get them on advertising

There is no legal limit, well to be precise no legal way to enforce a limit. There is a design limit set down by the manufacturer of the coach and I have never seen an incident where a coach loaded beyond the design limit since its physically impossible unless we all wore lead belts

This is not a Irish problem its Europe wide, though France is a notable exception since they wont let you on without a reservation (note the Germans don't enforce this kind of policy). Here is the scenario you board the train find it full, no one is forcing you to get on thus the person who get on with the knowledge of not getting a seat is the person who creates the problem

Where a train is designed for standing passengers, e.g. DART railcar etc we have no objection to standing once it doesn't exceed say 30 minutes. Standing on intercity services is not acceptable but there is another problem say the last train to X leaves at time Y train is fully seated do you refuse further passengers who are accepting of the fact they will have to stand

This Jason guy who held the train up is most likely guilty of obstructing a train under section 119a of the Rail Safety Act also guilty of refusing to leave a train upon request of a IE employee under SI109 1984

The actual problem here is why on earth is the 16:25 calling at Hazelhatch, Sallins and Newbridge, if those stops where eliminated there wouldn't be a problem
Unread 01-10-2006, 17:42   #5
Philly
Regular Poster

The 16:25 stops at "commuter towns" because there is a demand for it to do so - a massive one at that. I've gotten it a few times now and the train is a third empty by the time it leaves Newbridge. If this train didnn't service these towns, then the other commuter services would be under even greater pressure. I once got the 17:18 Heuston - Newbridge. It was a railcar and was really packed. People were standing everywhere, there was no room at all, the ticket inspecter didn't even bother doing his rounds - or else he didn't get as far as me. If the Inter City services stopped serving Newbridge and other commuter towns then things would just get worse - not a solution.
Unread 01-10-2006, 18:40   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

16:25 goes to Waterford thats the problem, intercity serivces should not call at Sallins or Hazelhatch this is contary to the offical stated IE policy

Suburban passengers should not be traveling on intercity trains, the demand is for local services out to Kildare and we can't understand why there are big gaps on the Kildare route

A slots exists to leave at 16:20 (move the 16:20 fridays only to 16:15) and have a all stops behind at 16:25
Unread 02-10-2006, 09:03   #7
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

How does holding up an overcrowded train help? I appreciate his sentiment but he is a bigger problem that anything.
Unread 02-10-2006, 10:05   #8
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

I dont know but If I was that concered I'd simply get off.
Unread 02-10-2006, 11:09   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp
I dont know but If I was that concered I'd simply get off.
Which is what the safety people say to do
Unread 02-10-2006, 12:11   #10
CSL

Depends. Everyone has a responsibility to point out H&S issues; was he wrong ?

Although old and an extreme case, the Armagh 1889 crash was due to overcrowding [ too many people/weight/carriages forced train to stop on hill. ]
Unread 02-10-2006, 12:17   #11
Philly
Regular Poster

I guess if hundreds of people are standing cramped in tight spaces for over an hour a day all year long, it is only a matter of time before one person loses his/her head and "does something about it".

The problem is, what this man did was not very worthwile, helpfull, effective or smart.
Unread 02-10-2006, 12:43   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL
Depends. Everyone has a responsibility to point out H&S issues; was he wrong ?

Although old and an extreme case, the Armagh 1889 crash was due to overcrowding [ too many people/weight/carriages forced train to stop on hill. ]
Too many coaches, locomotive too weak, the report is available online* in fact

* http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/lis...true&submit=Go

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 02-10-2006 at 13:54.
Unread 04-10-2006, 16:40   #13
craigybagel
Regular Poster

Havent caught that particular train for a while but every time i have done its been popular, but nowhere near as overcrowded as the Northern and Western Suburban trains from connolly. What do they have on that train unless it was a particularly short railcar i wouldnt have expected it to be so overcrowded even on a friday?

Also notice that the article fails to mention his fellow passengers reaction to his protest..........
Closed Thread