Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Mayo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-04-2006, 00:48   #1
craigybagel
Regular Poster

Default Ballina

Just wondering since the demise of the venerable and much loved (or loathed depending on how much you had to use the things) cravens what have IE allocated to the Ballina branch? Or is it still a safe bet for one last noisy bouncy journey on those lovely comfy seats.....By the way my own oppinion of them used to change day to day depending on how painful my daily commute was but i wouldnt mind one last journey.
craigybagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2006, 10:25   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The Ballina branch train is still a cravens set. The Fridays only Dublin Ballina is a MK2d air conditioned set

A 2 car railcar is been sent to Ballina which will bring to an end the farcical ghost train routine where empty trains roll back and forward between Manualla Junction and Claremorris all day

Much as some of us like the deep sprung seats the cravens coaches are little better than victorian. The railcar will have wheelchair accessibilty and a working pa system and it won't have steam pouring out of the sides
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2006, 11:56   #3
craigybagel
Regular Poster

Thanks Mark figured youd know!

I always was fond of the steam myself it created a bit of atmosphere and distracted you from the reality of making a boring early morning commute to school.........
Unread 08-04-2006, 12:45   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Steam pouring out of the side of coaches which are 43 years old has no place on a modern efficient railway they won't be missed, and I used to have the same morning commute experience, it was no fun when the heating died
Unread 09-04-2006, 00:21   #5
craigybagel
Regular Poster

Maybe not but in my years of commuting up and down the Northern Suburban line, 6 days a week at one point, of the about half of those normal journeys that were in Cravens, i never had a cancellation. Electricity broke once, and as it was the 7;14 ex balbriggan in mid-winter most of the journey was in total darkness, but that was the most trouble i ever had. As opposed to several failures and outright cancellations on the other trains, 2700 class in particular (but then we all know how bad they are!)

Yes the Cravens dont have a part in todays modern railway, but they did a good job, even in there twilight years which is the only time i knew them in, and il be sad to see them go.
Unread 09-04-2006, 19:49   #6
MV_001
New to the board

Quote:
A 2 car railcar is been sent to Ballina which will bring to an end the farcical ghost train routine where empty trains roll back and forward between Manualla Junction and Claremorris all day
How will a railcar change anything? OK it doesn't have to go to Claremorris to run round, but what are the crews going to do in Manulla Junction for all the time between sevices?? There's literally NOTHING there apart from a little Portacabin, I bet you anything they'll continue running empty to Claremorris post railcarisation...

Quote:
The railcar will have wheelchair accessibilty and a working pa system and it won't have steam pouring out of the sides
The wheelchair accessibility is a fair point alright, but why would you REALLY need a PA system on the Ballina Branch? There's only ONE intermediate stop for crying out loud !! And on the way back from Ballina there's only one possible connecting train. Not much chance of anyone getting the wrong train there. It is however possible that I'm just cheesed off from listening to the annoying PA system on the DART all the way from Glenageary to Pearse every day...

Finally, I'd take Cravens seats, leg-room and ride quality over that of a railcar any day !!!!
MV_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 20:52   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Every public meeting I've been at concerning rail services without fail has the question when are you (IE) getting rid of the horrible coaches on the xx:xx service. On a safety, accessibility and reliability fronts they score very low

I'm not convinced of the leg room argument. Anyway you can try both on the Ballina railcar, classic spring seats in one coach and the new style single piece in the other

Once you have a railcar you can do all kinds of fun things, you could continue to Westport and Castlebar. Either way its a lot cheaper than leaving a 2475 hp diesel engine and a generating van lying around

A working PA is an essential tool on a modern train, OK its hard miss Foxford but still it is important to know where you are, not everyone travels everyday you can't assume people know the score. The automated PA and display systems are required under the adopted UK RVAR rules that IE and many other European operators have adopted. They are here to stay

The statistics behind improving accessibility are quite shocking, 25% of all passengers have an mobility impairment of some kind, its not just people in wheelchairs its people with luggage parents with children old people. Cravens coaches are an assault course, just getting the door open is enough of a challenge for most, the door is extremely narrow, then the interior partition doors are spring loaded, the armrests don't lift up, there are no grab rails or handles
Unread 16-11-2006, 16:39   #8
StephenM
Regular Poster

Sorry for dragging up an old topic but:

There was a 2600 class sitting in Ballina last week, I was told it is to enter service soon. Didn't see it today when I got in from Dublin as the timber and container trains were using the 2 other lines so I presume its either disappeared or put on the Crossmolina Siding the far side of the station. They are also adding in an extra bit of track at the Ballina/Westport end of Manulla making it possible to run around the train to put the LOC at the front/back as appropriate. Is it not a bit late when that operation will be redundant with a DMU?
StephenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-11-2006, 16:50   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

A 2600 set 'the spare' has been sent up to Ballina for driver training to take over the Ballina Shuttle, this was promised to be in place in 1997

Manulla junction is to be rebuilt to allow a Dublin Westport train to use either platform, also allows the following to occur

Ballina Manulla Junc
Westport Dublin Arrives
Railcar departs for Wesport

In reverse
Westport Manulla
Dublin Westport arrives
Railcar departs for Ballina

While its possible with a locomotive its painfully slow much much quicker with a railcar

You can't board or leave Manulla Junc that said people have its requires some neck but you can, all it needs is a footbridge since the trains are stopping anyway

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 16-11-2006 at 16:53.
Unread 16-11-2006, 17:12   #10
StephenM
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Manulla junction is to be rebuilt to allow a Dublin Westport train to use either platform, also allows the following to occur
Both points (that join the Westport-Athlone line) are in the same direction though, so to use the Ballina side of the platform a Westport-Dublin Train would have to drive past and reverse back. In the case of the new track its the same but it would need to drive forward again to get onto the platform.
StephenM is offline   Reply With Quote