Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-03-2009, 20:29   #1
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

Default Staffing at country stations

Just returned from a visit to my local station - on the Connolly/Rosslare line - given a tour of, and update on, the state of the station by the ex.signalman now depotman. The timber fencing, recently erected as part of the upgrading of the station, is being systematically removed by unknown parties, a local horse owning 'enthusiast' now walks his horses along the track and up onto the platform as part of a shortcut (I saw the evidence), there had been attempts to jemmy open three doors of the station building with a bar and a nearby container had been recently used by somebody sleeping rough. All this takes place at a station that is staffed during operating hours - can you imagine the state it would end up in if unstaffed as some of the posters to this forum seem to think is a progressive policy?
PLUMB LOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2009, 21:48   #2
sean

Sounds like what's needed there is some kind of Transport Police.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2009, 23:14   #3
wobbles
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMB LOCO View Post
Just returned from a visit to my local station - on the Connolly/Rosslare line - given a tour of, and update on, the state of the station by the ex.signalman now depotman. The timber fencing, recently erected as part of the upgrading of the station, is being systematically removed by unknown parties, a local horse owning 'enthusiast' now walks his horses along the track and up onto the platform as part of a shortcut (I saw the evidence), there had been attempts to jemmy open three doors of the station building with a bar and a nearby container had been recently used by somebody sleeping rough. All this takes place at a station that is staffed during operating hours - can you imagine the state it would end up in if unstaffed as some of the posters to this forum seem to think is a progressive policy?
Enniscorthy has had that problem for years. Has IE contacted the Police?
wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:11   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This is a social problem, nothing to do with the staffing of the station. Some of the worst cases I've heard of happened at staffed stations, some in full view of Irish Rail staff.

We have called for a transport police, and it was added to the program for government but given the current state of the country its unlikely we will be seeing anything

As I keep saying Northern Ireland has no such problems with unstaffed stations, similarly having travelled in North Wales, every station was in pristine order but unstaffed
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 22:14   #5
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
This is a social problem, nothing to do with the staffing of the station. Some of the worst cases I've heard of happened at staffed stations, some in full view of Irish Rail staff.

We have called for a transport police, and it was added to the program for government but given the current state of the country its unlikely we will be seeing anything

As I keep saying Northern Ireland has no such problems with unstaffed stations, similarly having travelled in North Wales, every station was in pristine order but unstaffed
It has everything to do with staffing of the station, as when it is manned the depotman puts troublemakers out and informs the gardai as required. His actions ensure the safety of waiting passengers and protects the company's property. My point is what would happen if the station was demanned?

While I support the call for a Transport Police corps - and have done for more than 30 years - it would not be practical to assign them to every station on the system. Perhaps J.C.Decaux or some other private contractor could look after station security on their weekly visits to maintain the flowerbeds and clean the toilets!!!!

Believe it or not, I too have travelled extensively in North Wales and in many cases the umanned stations are in sparsely populated areas, and there are few if any buildings to vandalise or shelter in. That sort of scorched earth railway is already in existence in Ireland - on the South Wexford line - is this really what RUI is advocating? If so CIE/IE will be delighted to accomodate you as the one thing they are good at is knocking things down!!!

Incidentally I will be 50 this month and I object to your bullying, school mistress like attitude to people who don't agree with you. As I have stated previously is it any wonder that your message boards are dominated by contributions by committee members and real debate about anything 'you' disagree with is stifled.

Last edited by PLUMB LOCO : 02-03-2009 at 22:47.
PLUMB LOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 22:32   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As its says on the front page we what best international practice applied, that is not going to be welcomed by many within Irish Rail who wish to retain the current wasteful poorly supervised unaccountable staff arrangements. Irish Rail owes no one a job, but it owes the taxpayer a service so clearly our goals will cause grave concerns to some staff within Irish Rail and rightly so, a serious shake up is required

We are formulating a staffing plan (agreed in part at AGM), both station and on train and there is certainly a better way to do things, there needs to be a change in the terms of employment to deal with the need for weekend staffing without paying crazy overtime rates. Depending on route and demand there is a choice to be made between on train conductor/train manager and staffing stations with driver only trains

The response from informal contact with staff within Irish Rail has been very welcoming of the proposals, but I've been told neither the unions nor management are going to be eager to make the leap of faith despite it following practice in Northern Ireland, the rest of the UK and mainland Europe and offering a win for all parties, securing jobs, reducing costs and happier passengers.

And for the record Enniscorthy is on our list of stations to staff throughout service hours
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote