Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Limerick
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-11-2011, 21:39   #1
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Default Overcrowding and injury

If a train is overcrowded (which always seems to be the case these days) and lets say you seriously hurt yourself standing in the corridors/gangways, wouldn't Iarnród Éireann be liable for any medical expenses etc that would follow?

I seen a girl few days ago hit her head on a 2700. (as there was no seating in both coaches we where standing in the part where the bicycle racks are)

She wasn't seriously hurt luckily, but it was obviously a very sore bang in the head. She assured me she was ok though.

But anyway back to my question would they be liable for injuries if she broke her jaw or nose etc?

The overcrowding seems to be on the rise again. If the EU can tell a airline it can't carry more people in a aircraft than the seating capacity or the government can tell us we can't carry more people in our cars/buses than available seats/belts then surely these rules can be enforced in coaches and more importantly DMU's (which are 9 times out of 10 overcrowded)
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 21:44   #2
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Curious as to what 2700 class operated service was so full as to necessitate passengers standing ? I presume it was a Limeick/Limerick Junction or Limerick Junction/Limerick service.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 22:15   #3
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

I remember travelling on a ridiculously overcrowded train on a bank holiday Friday evening from London to Plymouth in the UK about 10 years ago, a journey of about 3 and a half to 4 hours. I wrote and complained to the train operator at the time and they said they there was no legal maximums on the amount of passengers that could be carried, so tough. If you've ever travelled by tube at rush hour in central London, scores of people are squashed into a single carriage; you'd be waiting a long time if you wanted a comfortable journey.

You don't say how the bang to the head occured. Was it as a result of some sharp stop that resulted in them tumbling? When you say "liable for injuries", is your inquiry about rectifying the medical condition that occured or seeking compensation over and above this?
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 23:10   #4
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
Curious as to what 2700 class operated service was so full as to necessitate passengers standing ? I presume it was a Limeick/Limerick Junction or Limerick Junction/Limerick service.
Yes it was the 16:00 Limerick-Limerick Junction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
You don't say how the bang to the head occured. Was it as a result of some sharp stop that resulted in them tumbling? When you say "liable for injuries", is your inquiry about rectifying the medical condition that occured or seeking compensation over and above this?
It normally shakes from side to side the 2700 they are hard to stand up on especially a part of the track before Killonan Junction. And she was holding on to bicycle rack too so they cant just say she lost her balance. Would seem unfair if she seriously hurt herself cause of their stupidity not to run larger trains at peak times and its technically them at fault that they didn't give some part of any loss/injury she would have incurred and plus i would be witness that it wasn't her fault.

Never mind she was a really attractive looking woman you think one the guys would have got up and let her sit down. I think it was 2715-2716 could be wrong. If they added 2751 or 2753 to this making it 3 car or just used a 22k this overcrowding would not be a issue.

Last edited by Destructix : 06-11-2011 at 23:13.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote