Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Mayo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-07-2007, 11:34   #1
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Default Seat reservations possible Dublin-Manulla?

Got the train to Ballina on Friday.

Booked online Thursday night, with two seat reservations in coach C for the Dublin-Manulla leg (oddly, no reservation possible for the return on sunday). Printed off the tickets form the collection machine in Hueston, seat number clearly printed on the tickets.

As I walked up the platofrm in Heuston, asked an IE employee where coach C was. He told me which carriage it was, said I would see some guys 'in white T-shirts'. Found coach C, no sign of any white T-shirts, found our seats where two people were about to sit down. No indication anywhere that the seats were reserved. Told them we had booked the seats, they seemed a bit surprised but moved no problem, ended sitting opposite us.

When the ticket inspector came around, complained that the seats hadn't been reserved. He told me that you can't reserve seats on the Mayo line, only possible on the Dublin-Cork line. Which made me look like either a liar or a fool to the two people opposite me who I'd asked to move.

Can someone confirm whether it is possible to reserve seats Dublin-Manulla/Westport?

On the way back on Sunday the train was roasting, no air conditioning. Ticket inspector advised that the snack car would not be open until a staff member joined in Athlone, so you couldn't even get a drink of water. when it did open, they'd no beer or tea/coffee becasue they'd no hot water.
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-07-2007, 11:48   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Yes you can book on the Mayo line, all services except the 16:15 to Ballina on Friday and the 14:25 Westport Dublin on Sunday, in fact its laziness on IE's part that those exemptions apply.

This is the problem with seat reservations the staff will do just about anything to avoid taking any responsibility, I've had words with a train hostess on the Cork train and even mentioning that I would take the complaint the whole way to the general manager no change

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 17-07-2007 at 11:59.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-07-2007, 11:53   #3
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Thanks Mark, figured he was lying to me.
Pity I didn't get his name, but should be easy enough to find out.
Pointless complaint on the way - who should it be addressed to?

Do I have any claim due to the fact the snack car wasn't open for half the journey back?
Unread 17-07-2007, 12:02   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

You have no claim on catering though you might as well get the dig in

Its Customer Relations Heuston you want, http://www.platform11.org/passenger_info/complaints.php

Of course Barry Kenny denies there is a issue so we must be making it all up...
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-07-2007, 12:24   #5
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Super, thanks a million again Mark.

I'll let ye know if I ever get a reply, if I can find this thread when IE reply in two months time
Unread 17-07-2007, 13:55   #6
MrX
Really Regular Poster

I booked a discounted first class ticket using my student card on the Dublin-Cork train a while ago. I wanted to be able to use my laptop etc. It's an €11.50 supplement and I felt it was worth while as I had a load of work to do and needed the space and power socket.

Anyway, got on, found my seat and was treated with utter contempt by the ticket inspector who seemed to refuse to believe that such a booking was even possible.

He totally embarassed me in front of a large number of passengers, demanded my ID (fair enough). Then wouldn't accept the ticket at face value and insisted on re-calculating the cost and then eventually went (oh! it is correct).

I just thought it was totally unprofessional and unnecessary.

I am sick of being treated like a criminal by IE ticket inspectors. Who do they think they are?! I paid my fare, I don't expect to be treated like royalty, but I do expect that if a ticket says i'm paid up for first class, it's printed on IE paper and that I've complied with all of their online ticket requirements that I shouldn't be given the 3rd degree and made feel like I'm pulling a fast one and sneered at.

I've also had similar horrible experiences with DART ticketing where I have been unable to find my ticket quickly enough when they've decided to do a 'random inspection'. Also, while dressed in a business suit I handed a ticket inspector a ticket which was blank (the machine hadn't printed it properly) yet the magnetic part was encoded as it let me through the barriers. I hadn't actually looked at it and hadn't noticed that it was blank.

Anyway, once again, ticket inspector gave me the 3rd degree. Accused me of dodging the fare. I had to threaten to call the station manager to get away from him.

I think IE have a terrible attitude to customers and I'm completely sick and tired of dealing with them. I have never had anything like this from Luas, London Underground, GNER, the SNCF (French Railways) etc etc.

It's totally unprofessional, heavy handed and damn rude.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but I have just had it up to "here" with this excuse for a public transport operator.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote