Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 31-03-2010, 10:26   #21
Ron Burgundy
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Hmm

Thats a software glitch, I'll forward it up the tree and find out what the solution is, either software fix or replace with Athy-Heuston bus90/luas which is exactly the same. Hopefully the ticket will just magically work.
Mark thats the same as mine, i am so sick of it. I don't have time wander around ordering new tickets.

Mine worked the 1st day and that was it, no more.

I have a new ticket from next week so we'll see if it works at all..........
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2010, 13:48   #22
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Athy-Connolly?
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2010, 14:01   #23
Kilocharlie

My Annual ticket is Kildare-Connolly with Luas/90 addon and, once a ticket gate accepts it, the ticket normally works.

I think tickets issued by TVM are to Hueston with City Centre add-on (which I think only goes as far as Abbey St)
Kilocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2010, 14:10   #24
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The issue has been flagged with IE, once there is a way to recreate the issue it can be fixed. Clearly the software in the gates sees Connolly and rejects on that
Unread 31-03-2010, 14:17   #25
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

The city centre add-on is valid on the Red line in the Central 1 zone (i.e. Heuston to Connolly and George's Dock), or on Dublin Bus routes 90, 91, and 92.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2010, 15:04   #26
Kilocharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The issue has been flagged with IE, once there is a way to recreate the issue it can be fixed. Clearly the software in the gates sees Connolly and rejects on that
Not with my Kildare-Connlolly ticket! It works fine.

The only issue I have with gates at Heuston is that some have a green arrow, but will not accept a ticket - ticket will not go into the machine. If the ticket won't go in, it can't be validated. There is no problem with the ticket being valid or otherwise.
Unread 31-03-2010, 15:08   #27
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If you get a gate with a green arrow, it could be smartcard only (yellow arrow fix requested) or just confused. We have devised a reset procedure, presenting any smartcard normally causes a reset if the gate is not in smartcard only.
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:49   #28
Oisin88

I spoke to the customer service desk last week and one of the "managers" at "meet the managers" on Tuesday, about the fantastic charade that must take place every time I come to a ticket barrier.

Apparently smartcards are not available for annual ticket holders with destinations that are not "short hop" (or some other hop like that) but that they realise that such tickets are not going to work in the machines. They said that the software had been changed to accept more tickets, but that they were informing their staff that they were to let annual ticket holders with valid tickets through, without trying the tickets.

Yesterday, I had to drive, but this morning in Heuston, there was only one ticket checker, who was dealing with an inbound train. As I had 3 minutes to catch my train I waved my card at him, but no, the charade had to happen again. The staff member told me that he hadn't been told anything.

Maybe Irish Rail ticket checkers need to "meet the management."
Unread 06-04-2010, 17:56   #29
Kilkea
Regular Poster

On the 18.35 Heuston-Waterford at the moment. As far as could see everyone was sent through the barriers before we got on. Not even 20 mins into the journey and the ticket checker is doing his rounds. We are not due to hit the first stop at Athy for another 20+ minute or so. Anyone know why they do this? Are the barriers for show only?
Kilkea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 18:33   #30
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

To check for people traveling beyond the station on the ticket, or 'gapping' for having a ticket for the start and end but not the middle

A headcount on each train is important as well

There was a incident on an afternoon train from Waterford today as well so eyes are out to prevent the troublemakers from returning home
Unread 06-04-2010, 19:04   #31
Kilocharlie

The barriers only check that you have a valid ticket - not a ticket to where you are going. For example a ticket valid to Sallins will pass the barriers but not an on-board inspection.

There are a number of services, especially suburban to Portlaoise, Carlow, Athlone, Thurles etc that have no on-board staff, apart from the driver, and, for these, the barriers are the only check.

Until the time when all stations have exit barriers ticket checkers will still have a job.

UPDATE: This evening 3 checkers in orange coats decended on the 1840 to Thurles - at least on person was found without a ticket; maybe these 'no staff' trains are a bit tempting for those risking travelling without a ticket?

Last edited by Kilocharlie : 08-04-2010 at 20:55.
Unread 09-04-2010, 16:31   #32
Oisin88

hmmm
I'd like to see the "business case" for the barriers.

Hard to see how they might be value for money....
Unread 12-04-2010, 12:05   #33
Kilocharlie

I noticed that my annual ticket (Kildare-Connolly) is being rejected, after the machine make several attempts to read it, by some of the exit gates at Platforms 6-7-8 but usually works at the main concourse. Strange.....
Unread 12-04-2010, 13:14   #34
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

In the case of tickets not working please try to check the message on the orange LED screen (just below the green arrow), as it helps in diagnosing errors. "Wrong side up/Bun os cionn" and "Ticket failed/theip ar an ticeid" usually mean either the ticket, the reader, or both are faulty. "No valid route/nil aon bealach ceart" means the ticket was read properly but the system thinks it's wrong.
Unread 12-04-2010, 13:42   #35
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
In the case of tickets not working please try to check the message on the orange LED screen (just below the green arrow), as it helps in diagnosing errors. "Wrong side up/Bun os cionn" and "Ticket failed/theip ar an ticeid" usually mean either the ticket, the reader, or both are faulty. "No valid route/nil aon bealach ceart" means the ticket was read properly but the system thinks it's wrong.

And if its says No valid route/nil aon bealach ceart post here the start and destination stations, the ticket type and when the error was seen, on entry or on exit

We can then forward that to our contacts in Irish Rail who can debug the fault. Other errors try another turnstile if you have no joy likely the ticket is a dud

Tickets collected from booking offices will NOT work the gates, ticket collected from the machines SHOULD work the gates. Ticket collection machines will be available at all intercity stations in the next few weeks.
Unread 15-04-2010, 07:43   #36
Ron Burgundy
Regular Poster

Ok here is the reply i got from Irish Rail................

Hi Ron,

I understand the frustration that your Annual ticket not working is causing you and on behalf of Iarnród Éireann I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.

The interim Rail Only Smartcard is currently being rolled out to the Short Hop Zone (as far as Balbriggan, Maynooth, Kilcoole and Hazelhatch).

I note from checking the Taxsaver orders that you hold a Portarlington – Connolly, Point-Point ticket, purchased through the **********
As this is an integrated ticket, with Luas and Dublin Bus services, it falls under the Railway Procurement Agency Smartcard project. The integrated Bus/Rail/Luas
Smartcard project is organised outside the CIE group, by the Railway Procurement Agency. The latest date for go live of the RPA integrated project is March, 2011

In the interim period, I am planning on organising a replacement procedure on site at Heuston in the coming weeks for any Customers that have faulty magnetic tickets. This will be communicated through Taxsaver administrators, ******** in your department.

I have forwarded your email to the relevant Manager in Heuston station in relation to your comments on the Customer Service at the station. I trust this clarifies the matter
for you but do not hesitate to contact me directly on 7034003 if you require any further assistance.

Regards,

Ok so i get my NEW ticket on April 1 and it lasts for 3 days before it stops working just like the last two tickets i've got...........

Here is my reply this morning to Irish Rail

I used my new annual tickey for 3 DAYS and it has stopped working already.

Rude staff again, pointless waiting again, money wasted again !

I am paying for a product which does not work as described.

Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act, good must be fit for their purpose. This ticket clearly is not as it won't work in the machines that are there over a year.

Your company have had enough time to sort this out.

I want to new ticket to be delivered to Heuston for my collection and every time it gives up ( which it no doubt will ) i want another one until you get this complete mess sorted.

There were a que of over 40 people waiting to get through the pointless barrrier this morning and one member of staff who couldn't care less and went at his Irish Rail pace.

As i have stated above i would like a new ticket to be available for collection in Heuston ASAP.

I am also considering connecting the press about this matter as there are a number of people in the same boat as me who pay a lot of money for this rubbish system and level of customer service as Heuston Station.

Regards,
Unread 15-04-2010, 08:15   #37
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

A train ticket is not a good, so section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1893 (as amended by section 10 of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980), requiring goods to be of merchantable quality, does not apply to it. What you've bought is a service (transport) and your ticket is evidence that you've bought it.
Unread 15-04-2010, 09:40   #38
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

I refer to my post #16 in this thread - which has had no response due to the fact that I'm either correct or a nutter - and I still maintain that properly trained, well motivated platform staff are better and more all round use to the travelling public than ticket barriers with very limited shelf lives. RUI in common with CIE/IE have an unhealthy fetish with modernity.
PLUMB LOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-04-2010, 12:01   #39
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMB LOCO View Post
I refer to my post #16 in this thread - which has had no response due to the fact that I'm either correct or a nutter - and I still maintain that properly trained, well motivated platform staff are better and more all round use to the travelling public than ticket barriers with very limited shelf lives. RUI in common with CIE/IE have an unhealthy fetish with modernity.
well, i didnt see anyone disagreeing with you.
Unread 15-04-2010, 12:17   #40
Ron Burgundy
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
A train ticket is not a good, so section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1893 (as amended by section 10 of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980), requiring goods to be of merchantable quality, does not apply to it. What you've bought is a service (transport) and your ticket is evidence that you've bought it.
Ok i bought the service and i need to get through the barrier to use the service and i need my ticket to work to get through the barrier ??????

Chicken + egg