Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Waterford
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 24-05-2013, 12:15   #1
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,135
Default Increased Alcohol Restrictions on Waterford Sevices from 31 May

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4829&p=116&n=237
Quote:
Dublin/Waterford line Fridays and Sundays: Alcohol restricted on certain services from 31st May

24 May 2013

In response to customer feedback, the consumption and carriage of alcohol on the 13:15 and 15:10 Dublin to Waterford services on Fridays is prohibited from 31st May 2013 onwards.

This follows repeated instances of groups disturbing other customers on board these specific services due to excessive alcohol consumption.

This is in addition to existing alcohol restrictions on Sundays on the 12.40, 15.10 and 18.05 Waterford to Dublin services.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2013, 23:42   #2
haddockman
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 113
Default

They will simply take earlier or later trains.

Friday should be a dry day on that route.
haddockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-05-2013, 13:49   #3
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,135
Default

Quote:
They will simply take earlier or later trains.

Friday should be a dry day on that route.
They won't travel any lather as most want to make the most of the weekend but if they are prepared to do it for these services then its only a matter of time before the 10.15 on Fridays, Saturdays and the 13.15 on Saturdays get it as well.

The petrol incident a few weeks ago didn't give them much choice in the matter and it had to be done. Will cost them providing 2 security people per train.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-05-2013, 16:24   #4
haddockman
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
They won't travel any lather as most want to make the most of the weekend but if they are prepared to do it for these services then its only a matter of time before the 10.15 on Fridays, Saturdays and the 13.15 on Saturdays get it as well.

The petrol incident a few weeks ago didn't give them much choice in the matter and it had to be done. Will cost them providing 2 security people per train.
What happened?
haddockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-05-2013, 17:08   #5
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
What happened?
Was not on this service but people were talking about it on another service who I was sitting beside and they were saying that a group of lads allegedly after drinking started sniffing petrol from a drum. When driver became aware the guards were called but they allegedly threatened to set it on fire if the guards were called.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-05-2013, 20:45   #6
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 951
Default

One wonders what type of tickets the petrol heads were travelling on ?
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-05-2013, 02:25   #7
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
One wonders what type of tickets the petrol heads were travelling on ?
Would love to know that answer to.

Take yesterday afternoon, another group on the 18.05 who by the looks were refused or missed an earlier train so they took the 6.05. They were allowed to drink for the whole journey. Yet drink is not to be consumed, in fairness to the security they stood in the middle of the carriage with them for the whole journey.

Now why were the guards not got to take them off the train, yes it can delay the train but if they were called once they started drinking when we left Kilkenny and say they would take them off in Carlow, that gives them 25 minutes or so to try and get people to the station and not delay the train.

Do IE get charged for a guards call out when its not an emergency? and why are they always so reluctant to kick people off, like if security were to mind these passengers on every train they would need 30 or 40 on each service. The whole point of this ban is to stop annoying other people yet nobody wants to inconvenience these passengers who just completely ignore the ban and of course because its Ireland security can't do a thing about it. Being stranded and drunk in Carlow for the night wouldn't be long waking these people up.

AFAIK the final decision rests with the train driver and I often think that they don't want the hassle of it and them not getting home on time.

I don't have a major problem with people drinking but its more the principal of what IE are doing, no drink allowed on trains, yet passengers are allowed drink anyways. Either have the ban or don't. When people booking these groups online or by phone they are not even told about the ban so most don't know about it until they are on the train.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-05-2013, 08:32   #8
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Celbridge
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Would love to know that answer to.

Take yesterday afternoon, another group on the 18.05 who by the looks were refused or missed an earlier train so they took the 6.05. They were allowed to drink for the whole journey. Yet drink is not to be consumed, in fairness to the security they stood in the middle of the carriage with them for the whole journey.

Now why were the guards not got to take them off the train, yes it can delay the train but if they were called once they started drinking when we left Kilkenny and say they would take them off in Carlow, that gives them 25 minutes or so to try and get people to the station and not delay the train.

Do IE get charged for a guards call out when its not an emergency? and why are they always so reluctant to kick people off, like if security were to mind these passengers on every train they would need 30 or 40 on each service. The whole point of this ban is to stop annoying other people yet nobody wants to inconvenience these passengers who just completely ignore the ban and of course because its Ireland security can't do a thing about it. Being stranded and drunk in Carlow for the night wouldn't be long waking these people up.

AFAIK the final decision rests with the train driver and I often think that they don't want the hassle of it and them not getting home on time.

I don't have a major problem with people drinking but its more the principal of what IE are doing, no drink allowed on trains, yet passengers are allowed drink anyways. Either have the ban or don't. When people booking these groups online or by phone they are not even told about the ban so most don't know about it until they are on the train.
It sounds like there is a need for Transport Police, those Stazi have only the same rights of arrest as an ordinary citizen.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-05-2013, 14:20   #9
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity
 
Thomas J Stamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Home of Hurling
Posts: 2,708
Default

We have long campaigned for a transport police and it is the first thing we lobby for come election times Given what is being done to the gardai at the moment I wouldnt be holding my breath.

We have done a model of how it can work on DART/Luas and Commuter trains but when it comes to inter-city its a lot harder. What do you do when the train is stopping in places which no longer have a garda station and only one car on patrol?
__________________
We are the passengers
Thomas J Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 14:35   #10
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,135
Default

Quote:
We have long campaigned for a transport police and it is the first thing we lobby for come election times Given what is being done to the gardai at the moment I wouldnt be holding my breath.

We have done a model of how it can work on DART/Luas and Commuter trains but when it comes to inter-city its a lot harder. What do you do when the train is stopping in places which no longer have a garda station and only one car on patrol?
What do IE think about transport police, do they support it?

If only IE were not so deep in the red and had some spare cash they could set up their own transport police for Dublin area mainly but have them operate some intercity service when required.

The DAA fund their own airport police service.

Leo Varadkar knows well there is major security problems on transport in Dublin but shows no signs of doing anything about it. A question was put to him about Luas security and what will happen when Corss City opens and TBH his response was SFA will be done and nothing will change.

Its simple the security companies for transport companies only need to be given more power to remove people from trains physically without being in trouble for doing it or transport police are needed. Antio social behaviour is only going to increase.

I would almost go an say that STT ones on the Luas have being cut back a lot recently. Same with RPU's lads for a good few weeks there was checks every 5 minutes on the Luas and I have not being checked at all recently.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 02-06-2013 at 14:56.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 20:16   #11
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer
 
Colm Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
What do IE think about transport police, do they support it?
Individual managers in both Irish Rail and the RPA have made supportive sounds.
__________________
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:05   #12
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
Individual managers in both Irish Rail and the RPA have made supportive sounds.
At least they support it.

Was on the 15.10 on Friday, security on baord the service, extra security on the platform watching out for people they expected were carrying drink onboard. Every passenger were issued with leaflets about the ban.

I didn't expect them to have such a setup. AFAIK there was a problem on the 13.10 service which caused a slight delay but nothing major.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 04-06-2013 at 01:07.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-10-2013, 22:01   #13
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,135
Default

This ban is likely to be increased on services on Fridays and extend into Saturday's.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:29.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.