Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Unread 19-10-2006, 10:50   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Arrow Metro North Route

As promised and you saw it here first

# St Stephen's Green
Station will be partly under the park, at Stephens Green west, but entrances will be adjacent to the current Luas stop. No decision has been made in relation to where the TBM will come out. They are also examining other tunneling techniques. Line runs under Grafton street, College Green and Westmoreland street.

# O'Connell Bridge
Station to be located under the Liffey. Entrances will be provided both north and south. Possibly on the quays. 4 at least. One at the junction of Abbey street providing integration with the Luas red line. Line runs up O'Connell Street, Parnell Sq East, across Dorset Street and Eccles St.

# Mater
Station located under existing hospital car park.(soon to become the new childrens hospital. Entrances on Eccles street and North Circular Road. The NCR entrance opens up Metro to the proposed Mountjoy development and Phisboro area. Line curves back towards the end of Dorset St and onto Drumcondra Road.

# Drumcondra
Station will be under the road, but "mined". RPA want to make the entrances as close as possible to IE station. They are looking at putting at least one within the station environs. Thought has been given to how to deal with Croke Park crowds
Line travels onwards in a north westerly direction and crosses Griffith Avenue.

# Griffith Avenue
Station to be located underground but "shallow" on lands owned by DCU and planned as the second campus. Public entrances provided and station built in such a way that DCU can build campus over it. Continuing north west line runs into a shallow cutting.

# DCU
Station in shallow cutting, so may be unmanned. Line continues in shallow cutting, under Collins Avenue and then at grade along the central median of current road through Ballymun.

# Ballymun
RPA are currently working with Ballymun redevelopment on station location and exact route through the centre of Ballymun. Line will run along the east side of existing link road to M50.

# Santry Demesne
Station to serve development here. However development is also taking place on the opposite side of the link road and the RPA envisage a new pedestrian bridge to link metro station with it.
Line crosses over M50, curves to the right.

# Metro Park (Name may be changed)
Park and Ride site. No depot planned here. It may not be the junction point with Metro West either, due to other developer lobbies, who want a different alignment for Metro West. Public consultation for Metro West is due to begin in October. Line goes underground again before airport perimeter.

# Airport
Underground and station positioned equal distance from T1 and T2 a box has been reserved for construction. Line then surfaces due to the natural land contours at the north of the airport

# Airside/Nevinstown (Name may be changed)
Line then crosses under the old M1 by cut and cover

# Swords
Located at Pinnochill roundabout Route continues along side Swords Bypass on the east side of the old N1

# Seatown

# Lissenhall
Lissenhall terminus is now closer to Swords to allow more flexibility for later extensions and road access
Extremely large park and ride site with up to 2000 spaces

More http://www.platform11.org/transport2...orth_route.php
Platform 11 acknowledges the assistance and information provided by the RPA to provide this list

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 19-10-2006 at 12:50.
Unread 19-10-2006, 11:01   #2
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

A nice validation of your sensible and excellent Metro report Mark.
Well done to yourself and Derek and the others who worked hard behind the scenes to hammer home the message of integration at Drumcondra and a service to Swords.
Unread 19-10-2006, 11:08   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

http://www.platform11.org/news/news....006&no=24.html

http://www.platform11.org/transport2...sense_wins.php
Unread 19-10-2006, 11:18   #4
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Does equal distance from T1 & T2 mean Great Southern Hotel?

Even so it is a pretty good route.
Unread 19-10-2006, 11:19   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The route passes under the airport goes nowhere near the hotel
Unread 19-10-2006, 11:27   #6
Mark

Confusion reigns:

Quote:

breakingnews.ieDublin metro system to run via Ballymun and Phibsboro
19/10/2006 - 12:09:59

Minister for Transport Martin Cullen has announced the route chosen for the proposed metro line linking Dublin Airport with the city centre.

Three alternatives had been put forward as part of a public consultation process.

The chosen one will see the metro system run from Swords through Dublin Airport, via Ballymun and Phibsboro and on to St Stephen's Green.

Mr Cullen says the route will service 20,000 people every hour, with trains running every 90 seconds.

The total journey time will be 17 minutes.

The metro is expected to take around 40,000 cars off the streets of the city centre every day when it is operational in 2012.
Quote:
Cullen announces Metro details

19 October 2006 11:46
Transport Minister Martin Cullen has announced details of the new Dublin Metro North service, which will see 15 new stops developed across north Co Dublin.

The project, which forms part of the Government's Transport 21 programme, is expected to be used by more than 34 million people every year.

Trains will operate every four minutes on the route and a journey time from Dublin city centre to the airport will be around 17 minutes.

www.rte.ie

Last edited by Mark : 19-10-2006 at 11:36.
Unread 19-10-2006, 11:37   #7
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
# Airport
Underground and station positioned equal distance from T1 and T2 a box has been reserved for construction. Line then surfaces due to the natural land contours at the north of the airport
I'm almost afraid to ask, but this does take into account the proposed second runway at Dublin Airport?
Unread 19-10-2006, 22:51   #8
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor
I'm almost afraid to ask, but this does take into account the proposed second runway at Dublin Airport?
Yep.

Metro surfaces outside the Airport perimetre north of the road that runs parallel to Forest Little golf club.
Unread 20-10-2006, 08:12   #9
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler
Yep.

Metro surfaces outside the Airport perimetre north of the road that runs parallel to Forest Little golf club.
and runs just east of the actual runway so as far as I know it does not run directly under the planned parallel runway.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/devplan/you...ge%20SF2/a.htm
Unread 23-10-2006, 15:30   #10
2Funki4Wheelz

Excellent news, especially for a proper Airport system and for Swords where I used to live (which is huuuge now). We were getting the DART 'soon', when I was kid (mid-late eighties). Maybe this time something really will happen.
Unread 08-01-2007, 11:45   #11
petronius
New to the board

How much extra would it cost to have the Metro north "connect" to a northern rail line route - say at Donabate surely the route from Lissenhall would not be that difficult to facilitate it other than crossing the M1...
It would provide better 2-way traffic to dublin airport -
With intergrated ticketing getting on the suburban rail at Balbriggan and switching to the metro at Donabate(or wherever) and going to the airport or DCU or wherever..
Could the park and ride place at Lissenhall be a cheaper option as a "long term car park" for the airport ???
Unread 08-01-2007, 12:14   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Fingal CC turned down a proposal to reserve a route from Lissenhall over to Donabate which makes talking about it as a option rather pointless. Its important to note a huge lump of metro west has been reserved since 1975. Probably looking at ballpark of 250 million. Given Howth Junc to Ballymun to study stage is already in T21 its not happening in the next 15 years

Lissenhall terminus has been moved southwards slightly to faciliate a later extension by leaving options as open as possible. The car park is looking at 1000 spaces possibly 2000

Integrated ticketing could be implemented on all Luas and Rail tomorrow with zero investment in hardware, its petty infighting between the RPA and IE which make it impossible
Unread 19-10-2006, 12:32   #13
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson

# Drumcondra
Station will be under the road, but "mined". RPA want to make the entrances as close as possible to IE station. They are looking at putting at least one within the station environs.
Thanks Mark for the Info and all the Great work.....

I guess i am a sceptic.... I worry when i hear government (appointed) organisations saying things like "as close as possible". I think they mean "as close a possible without spending too much money".
I can't wait to see detailed station plans.....

However, Really good news in the main......
Unread 19-10-2006, 12:36   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is serious talk going on to make it work the plan is to allow you to walk from train to metro without hitting a barrier or going out onto the street.

Exact station location comes next
Unread 19-10-2006, 14:09   #15
colmoc

does the midland line factor in in the drumcondra solution
Unread 19-10-2006, 14:15   #16
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Issue was discussed with RPA

IE have no plans to use Midland line post 2015 thus its a non starter, however its not beyond the realms of possibilty to link the metro station into a station on the Midland line, the clearances are very very tight on the Midland line for a platform
Unread 19-10-2006, 15:37   #17
colmoc

Is the midland line a temp measure I thought it was to become a permenant feature
Unread 19-10-2006, 20:59   #18
Nigel Fitzgricer
Regular Poster

I am in the US at the moment working and I checked the UTV news site on the off chance and lo and behold Dublin is to get a brilliant metro north with an ace, integrated route route.

However, I think UTV has posted a world exclusive preview of the rolling stock to be used. Do you think it'll be carrying beet as well as commuters?

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=77410&pt=n
Unread 20-10-2006, 16:52   #19
weehamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fitzgricer
I am in the US at the moment working and I checked the UTV news site on the off chance and lo and behold Dublin is to get a brilliant metro north with an ace, integrated route route.

However, I think UTV has posted a world exclusive preview of the rolling stock to be used. Do you think it'll be carrying beet as well as commuters?

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=77410&pt=n
What a beauty.

Though to be honest, the tram pictures on the RPA Metro North Map arent good looking either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MetroTram 01.JPG (6.1 KB, 914 views)
File Type: jpg MetroTram 02.JPG (6.3 KB, 846 views)
File Type: jpg MetroTram 03.JPG (6.5 KB, 941 views)
File Type: jpg MetroTram 04.JPG (6.0 KB, 901 views)
Unread 21-10-2006, 11:18   #20
Mark

They are just citadis luas pics!
Closed Thread