Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-09-2007, 22:50   #1
craigybagel
Regular Poster

Default Student Tickets and through tickets from Rosslare Line

Hi did a day trip Wicklow to Cork last week. I first tried to use the TVM to buy my ticket (student return). While they will now at last sell student tickets (first time ive ever seen them on a tvm, so no more excuses for a free trips to Dublin in the afternoon when the ticket office is closed) it wont sell tickets to anywhere on the cork line, or indeed anywhere outside of Sligo-Dublin-Rosslare! (even Belfast line stations arent available.). Any updates to the software due for this?

Secondly when i did buy my ticket (from the booking office), i cant remember the exact price but it was roughly 32 euro return. Given that a Dublin (Connolly with Luas)-Cork student return is 44 euro, and buying a Cork-Wicklow ticket in Cork is normally around 47 euro, whats going on?! This isnt the first time ive been charged this much either. Incidentally the ticket is valid via Dublin, as it includes the 90bus/luas on it.
craigybagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 23:03   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The student tickets where promised to be added on the system ages back

Student return Dublin Cork is 40.00, plus the Luas is 42.40, You certainly can get a Cork Wicklow student return for 42.40

Fares are quoted based on distance bands Cork Wicklow via Dublin is the shortest at 193 miles doing the math it should be in the 40-44 euro bracket same fare as Dublin Killarney
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 13:30   #3
craigybagel
Regular Poster

Been out the country for a month so not sure when the tvms got the student tickets but at least they are there now.

Found my ticket to Cork its priced at €32.90 return and its INCL. FEEDER SERV. Strange.....

Also next time i make this journey in the afternoon, when the ticket office is closed, am i allowed to get on without a ticket if im planning to travel to cork as i cant buy the ticket i want?

Why do IE have to have so many strange loopholes?! That said i cant really complain about a 10 euro undercharge from wicklow....
craigybagel is offline   Reply With Quote