Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 22-05-2007, 10:46   #1
Gary
Regular Poster

Default Long Haul Bus Route

Weekend just gone tried the bus option with Aircoach from Dublin to Cork. Left at 3pm on Sat so no big drama on getting out of Dublin on the traffic front. 18 euro return not bad value.

However the bloomin route it took and how long it took brought into question the sanity of whoever gives out the licence for the routes (which I assume aircoach have no control over). We zoomed along fine out of Dublin along the ever improving road to cork. Then we started our offroad driving via Kildare, Monsteravin, Cashel, Michelstow, Fermoy. In total picked up two passengers from Cashel. The funny thinq is the bus pays the toll for the Fermoy bypass then goes in via the town. On the way back same story via Fermoy even though the bus was full and couldn't take any more passangers.

I understand the need to have some routes that are not express but surely is it possible to get a direct bus and actually make it to cork in less than 4 1/2 hours? With a new motorway due to open to connect Dublin - Cork you'll never get people out of their cars if there's never an express bus route.

Anyone else had the same experience or know how the routes are meant to work?
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-05-2007, 11:10   #2
Brian Condron

Back when this bus originated in Portlaoise, I was the only passenger to get on one afternoon. We then proceeded to go through Ballybrittas, Monasterevin, Kildare town, Newbridge and Naas where not a single passenger got on. Then it was around the M50, and dropping me alone off at the airport. Myself and the driver had a great laugh at it all, I got my own taxi service from Portlaoise to the airport for €7.
Brian Condron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-05-2007, 20:26   #3
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Got off a plane in the Ashbourne wing of Dubln Airport (If you walked there, you'ld know). ad above the first urinal had a bus eireann ad for single to Liverpool, Brum or London for 20 euros.... tempting...
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2007, 08:29   #4
Gary
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmd View Post
Got off a plane in the Ashbourne wing of Dubln Airport (If you walked there, you'ld know). ad above the first urinal had a bus eireann ad for single to Liverpool, Brum or London for 20 euros.... tempting...
Lets hope the route doesn't involve Dublin - Fermoy - Liverpool.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2007, 21:32   #5
craigybagel
Regular Poster

People in a hurry take the train. The bus is for people who cant afford it. I know. Im on it every weekend!

In fairness on certain days and services BE usually run express buses leaving the same time that only serve Abbyleix, Durrow and Urlingford (the only places they cant avoid) en route but they arent timetabled so BE have no obligation to run them so you cant guarantee anything! But in general, the 1200/1800 departures from both cities on Fridays and Sundays, and the 0800/1400 departues on Saturday normally see expresses. They also appear on other services from time to time.

As for the Aircoach they dont seem to have a set route Monasterevan and Kildare seem to depend on the mood of the driver nothing seems to be guaranteed either way.

And the fermoy toll is just a joke for the busses. Again both BE and Aircoach may or may not use it if stopping in Fermoy. Only the expresses seem to be guaranteed to use it.

Sorry il shut up now just something i have to much experience of! And they do make the mk4s seem so much nicer.....
craigybagel is offline   Reply With Quote