Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 23-09-2013, 17:53   #341
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
And a 'please mind the gap'
This is an absolute joke, its louder than "we will be arriving at X". Whoever decided to add this should be given there P45. Its as bad as Thank you for traveling with IE.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-09-2013, 20:21   #342
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Mandatory safety announcement required by the RSC at platforms which are sub standard

If you think its bad try it in German and English in Berlin, where it is "please mind the gap between platform and train",

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 23-09-2013 at 20:30.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-09-2013, 22:59   #343
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Mandatory safety announcement required by the RSC at platforms which are sub standard

If you think its bad try it in German and English in Berlin, where it is "please mind the gap between platform and train",
Have the RSC not cared about this message over the last 6 years?

On the 22's to Cork they have Please mind the gap added while they already had Please mind the gap between train and platform.

My biggest problem is the PA system is way to load, I know there is reasons such as blind people but its way above what you hear on European trains. The "Thank you for traveling with IE" needs to be taken out as its not needed and passenger who have to listen to this automated crap the whole journey won't be thanking IE at all. It needs to be turned down a lot.

I just thankful that they removed This is the x train from x to y on the Waterford route, did a trip to Galway and the pa was just non stop and it will be a long time before I use the train.
Unread 24-09-2013, 22:23   #344
Kilocharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post

It's announced at every station between Kildare and Heuston including those which have straight platforms and were recently modernised or even recently built! Even Heuston! So by implicat5ion every station is sub-standard or maybe it's just easier to do it every station rather than those with curved platforms.

The Irish version has the 'seachan an bhearna' embedded between the station name and 'go luath'.
Kilocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-09-2013, 22:03   #345
Jamie2k9

I'm told they have not added this to the Mark'4. What about the Belfast route, weather its automatic or not, if the RSC were so serous about safety why not have it announced on trains. Seems to me RSC are selective on there safety enforcement or IE are not listening to them!
Unread 27-09-2013, 16:00   #346
neoncircles

Automatic announcements never working on the enterprise, and when they do they're not in Irish. They're very simple though "We're now approaching Newry" etc, nothing about gaps or seats or thank you etc!
neoncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-09-2013, 18:44   #347
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
I'm told they have not added this to the Mark'4. What about the Belfast route, weather its automatic or not, if the RSC were so serous about safety why not have it announced on trains. Seems to me RSC are selective on there safety enforcement or IE are not listening to them!
I suspect that they are doing the ICR fleet first and will update the Mk4 sets later. I seriously doubt that they're just doing one single fleet type.

I believe that this an IE initiative rather than being pushed by the RSC.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-09-2013, 23:42   #348
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
I suspect that they are doing the ICR fleet first and will update the Mk4 sets later. I seriously doubt that they're just doing one single fleet type.

I believe that this an IE initiative rather than being pushed by the RSC.
Its being a few weeks since it started and its just a case of updating the train ID. Noting major. If its from with IE somebody had little to do with time other than come up with ways to irritate passengers even further, yet for trains arriving on the most dangerous platforms on the network (Connolly, 5,6,7) you can hardly hear the PA system on most of the commuter/DART fleet.

Do the maths on 99% of platforms where its next to impossible to fall between the train and platform passengers have to listen to this nonsense but on the most dangerous platforms you can't hear it half the time.

Good to see IE staff have priorities in order. Just when you think you have seen it all with IE they always manage to pull some other daft things out of the bag!

While we are also on about passenger safety, there has being some significant overcrowding on some Cork services only the last day or so where passengers were standing for 90+ minutes. Soon the PA systems will be saying "Hold on tight, brace yourselves, uncomfortable journey ahead for some but most of all thank you for paying high fares for traveling with Iarnrod Eireann".

Just where do you draw the line, any more bits added and we will have full PA blown conversation on Intercity routes.

Quote:
Automatic announcements never working on the enterprise, and when they do they're not in Irish. They're very simple though "We're now approaching Newry" etc, nothing about gaps or seats or thank you etc!
Exactly my point.