Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-02-2014, 17:35   #1
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Default New Responsive Website

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4991&p=116&n=237
Quote:
Take a sneak peek at our New Responsive Website

06 February 2014

Iarnród Éireann is delighted to give you a sneak peek at our New Responsive Website.

We are not completely finished but please feel free to browse around by clicking on the above link. If you experience any issues or have any comments then please provide us with your feedback!

Register Your Feedback

Please note the responsive booking section is still under development and will be available next week. Any customers looking to make a booking will be directed to the current e-commerce section.

All of the information that is currently on our website will still be there. But now it will be even easier to browse our site on mobile and tablet screens. So whether you’re on your PC to check fares, your tablet to find train times, or on your mobile to make a booking, you’ll be able to access whatever you want on whatever device you’re using.
The Website: http://new.irishrail.ie/

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 06-02-2014 at 17:38.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 22:36   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This has been in the works for some time, basically HTML5 trickery which makes the site fit on any screen size
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 07:42   #3
James Howard

It is certainly positive that it works a lot better on phones now than it did - kind of a primary requirement for any transport website nowadays.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2014, 01:44   #4
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Doesn't work on Windows Phone. Back to the drawing board Iarnród Éireann.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2014, 14:56   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Which phone, screenshot if possible.

We do talk with the website folks inside Irish Rail frequently and these kind of issues can be fixed
Unread 11-02-2014, 15:21   #6
Jamie2k9

Live Train info is a mess, Arrivals to destinations just have.

Waterford ST EST Due
Waterford (A502) -- -- x mins

You have to look in to see where the train is actually coming from and the live train data is not being fed into the system, your trains just ticks by as departing at scheduled times at all stations even if its not. Not meant on lines where data isn't always picked up but into Heuston were it should be working.

One thing I do look about the new booking system is you can now decided weather to display your name or res number and good to see Paypal is coming soon shown after you log in.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 11-02-2014 at 15:26.
Unread 11-02-2014, 21:18   #7
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Jamie2K9: you are totally right. The new site is a bit of a disgrace: clearly it was launched without having been properly assessed and tested. The intercity map is quite ridiculous: almost unsuable. Also so-called "real time" information gives information on departure but not arrival times (timetabled or expected). Totally useless. What are the orange numbers for - nothing happens when you click on them.

Terrible to see that an organisation of Irish Rail's size has such a shambolic site, especially as it should be a vital marketing tool.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2014, 21:59   #8
Jamie2k9

The map I like, much better than the old crap one. The orange dots are areas where stations are in close together and if you click they zoom in and show all of them.

The live info is probably something small, have submitted feedback on it.
Unread 12-02-2014, 08:30   #9
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Which phone, screenshot if possible.

We do talk with the website folks inside Irish Rail frequently and these kind of issues can be fixed
Nokia Lumia 1020
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2014, 09:11   #10
longword
Regular Poster

Was it intentional that the new site was pushed live so soon after the preview?

I had a set bookmarks on my phone's home screen, deep clutter-free fast links into the old site for realtime info for my usual stations e.g. http://www.irishrail.ie/realtime/sta...?ref=CNLLY&p=1 - I'm really missing those but I'll give the Android app a chance to impress or disappoint me.
longword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2014, 10:06   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructix View Post
Nokia Lumia 1020
Thanks,

Whats the exact issue?
Doesn't render correctly
Asks you to install an app
Unread 12-02-2014, 11:06   #12
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longword View Post
Was it intentional that the new site was pushed live so soon after the preview?

I had a set bookmarks on my phone's home screen, deep clutter-free fast links into the old site for realtime info for my usual stations e.g. http://www.irishrail.ie/realtime/sta...?ref=CNLLY&p=1 - I'm really missing those but I'll give the Android app a chance to impress or disappoint me.
Try http://www.irishrail.ie/timetables/l...?station=CNLLY

There are lots of broken links. I think give it a few days for things to settle down and try again.

Fortunately, the new Live map seems to load a fair bit quicker than the old one.
Unread 13-02-2014, 08:16   #13
longword
Regular Poster

The map is pretty and all, but really not what you want when your phone is struggling to put an "E" beside your coverage bars.

On the bright side, I'm liking the Android app so far. Works. Uncluttered, not too many taps to get what I want, and seems fast enough.
longword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-02-2014, 15:20   #14
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Instead of: http://www.irishrail.ie/timetables/l...?station=CNLLY try: http://www.irishrail.ie/timetables/l...mes?code=CNLLY
Unread 10-06-2014, 20:33   #15
Jamie2k9

Default Real Time Infomation

Since the new website launched, the real time infomation has not worked very well and I did submit feedback on it however nothing done.

Currently I use a third party app which shows the scheduled, estimated, location of a train service (where data coverage is picked up). IE own app is good as it shows the scheduled, estimated times of trains however without the location it is not easy to see if the train is exactly on time or just no coverage has being picked up.

The website just shows destination, train code, no ETA, no SCH or latest location like the old website. (one of the few good areas on it)

Example (website):
Dublin Heuston A229 SCH, ETA both just a - 34 mins

Unless you open the code you don't know where the service is coming from or if information is up to date as all it does is tick down to scheduled times.

Third Party app
19.20 Cork-Dublin Heuston A229 Scheduled 22.00 Estimated 22.03 Departed Cherryville Junction

IE's app shows services and +3 minutes

There doesn't seem to be any issues with real time on Connolly side however they really need to add location of services.
Unread 10-06-2014, 23:28   #16
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

There is effectively no arrival information available for Connolly on the IR website in respect of terminating services, i.e. Belfast, Sligo, Rosslare, the services people would be most likely to inquire about. Same for Heuston. Connolly should have a mainline/outer suburban page and a separate DART page or alternatively different colouring to distinguish service type.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2014, 00:45   #17
Jamie2k9

Quote:
There is effectively no arrival information available for Connolly on the IR website in respect of terminating services, i.e. Belfast, Sligo, Rosslare, the services people would be most likely to inquire about. Same for Heuston. Connolly should have a mainline/outer suburban page and a separate DART page or alternatively different colouring to distinguish service type.
Didn't spot that about Connolly.

As for being able to distinguish services, all they need to do is make the old version workable on the new site. Shouldn't be to hard and contained all that was needed such as Northbound/Southbound displays on Connolly page as well as the service DART or Train.
Unread 11-06-2014, 06:31   #18
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

I would still split Connolly as mainline services are a bit lost amongst other services with the consequence that the next arrival/departure for Sligo might not be listed on the "live boards".
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote