Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 13-04-2012, 09:51   #21
joey
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
You say passenger numbers cross-border are down - hardly a surprise given the three month closure of the line at Malahide. Before that the largely gratuitous disruptions associated with the Tolka bridge renewal and the so called DART upgrade project severely depressed weekend business due to the tsunami of weekend line closures. Add to that the laughable management and scheduling of services between Drogheda and Dublin and I think Irish Rail might well be in the picture when it comes to accessing the performance of the Enterprise service.

As regards cross-border numbers my understanding is that there has been a modest recovery in usage unlike many other routes that are either gently or preciptively declining.

As regards being a glorified commuter service what do you imagine the Galway, Waterford, Rosslare, Limerick and Sligo services are ? Whar about the 0505 from Cork or the 1900 or 2100 services from Heuston. More glorified commuter services perhaps ?

Yes the Irish Rail mantra is that all the problems with the Enterprise are the fault of NIR - as a regular user this is not my experience. While there are issues with the coaching stock from time to time, the Enterprise sets are probably the most intensively used rolling stock in the country, one set making three return Belfast/Dublin trips each day. While the ride quality is often poor (especially south of the border) it is not generally inferior to the Mk4s on the Cork line. Ambience wise (somewhat subject on my part) the De-Dietrich coaches are way better than the Mk4s.

Irish Rail are, I understand, responsible for locomotive maintenace. Not sure of the ratio of coaching stock issues to locomotive/head end power failures, but suffice it to say that locomotive failures are orders of magnitude more common than when the service was powerd by 071/111 class locomotives.

To be a bit more positive there has been a noticeable improvement in punctuality in recent months due to a number of factors including a large reduction in the number of slacks south of the border and some shift in the Irish Rail's slowest train first policy.
here here!!
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-04-2012, 10:09   #22
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Seat reservations are available, a ticket is never a guarantee of a seat.
Nor is a seat reservation, given that NIR doesn't put them out half the time!
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-04-2012, 10:38   #23
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

But at least you have recourse and the right to a refund if left standing
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-05-2012, 22:11   #24
2200DMU
Regular Poster

A Mark3 Generator Van operated a test entreprise service from Dublin-Belfast this evening.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/22937...2187&k=Jznz5Jh
2200DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2012, 01:26   #25
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

how much space does the generator take up in an EGV? Could bikes be carried inside it for instance?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2012, 04:46   #26
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Cleanliness and age aside, why is it so much lighter in colour than the other carriages? http://www.irishrail.ie/media/DeDietrich1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
how much space does the generator take up in an EGV? Could bikes be carried inside it for instance?
I think its about 50:50 between storage space and generator, but the guard might also have a space of his own.

Enterprise DVTs have their own luggage / bike space.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 23-05-2012 at 04:54.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2012, 17:32   #27
dowlingm

Could that space in the DVT be converted to passenger or is it configured that way as part of crashworthiness? Considering how much time and money has been spent on these damn things (and they're still not in service so not holding out much hope here) it would be nice to see more than just HEP replacement out of them.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 20:09   #28
neoncircles

I travelled on the Enterprise this weekend owing to the 9.99 each way fares. I usually get the bus but chanced the train this time.

After reading alot of stuff on here I was dreading that it would be an awful experience but it was actually quite pleasant.

Train packed on Sunday (1300 ex Connolly), train host up and down the train throughout the journey. Arrived exactly on time. Train much quieter down today (1410 train), train host visible again. Found it to be much much more comfortable than the MK4's. They are quite shabby inside but no other complaints. Ride quality in NI noticeably better.

Much better than the bus so will use again without doubt

Last edited by neoncircles : 05-06-2012 at 20:20.
neoncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 09:06   #29
joey
Regular Poster

Default Enterprise

I used the 1300ex Dublin on Sunday last. I booked my ticket on line through Irish Rail. The service was very busy, however I had my seat reserved and thankfully this worked out well - though getting to my seat in good time proved to be a good idea. When checking in IR staff made no mention to sit on my reserved seat, nor was there any anouncements to refrain from sitting in reserved seats for other patrons.
Even though this particular service was very busy, this was helped by the fact that there was a TRANSLINK hostess on board who made clear regular on-board greetings and meeted and greeted pretty much everyone, asking people had they connecting trains to meet at either Portadown or Belfast Central. The comfort is still OK, given the fact that these trains are now coming on 17 years old. A little bumpy on the way up particulary up as far as Dundalk. Given the service was very busy we made it to belfast a few minutes ahead of schedule which was great as I had a connecting train to meet on the Londonderry line onwards from Belfast Central. May I add the train on this service was of pure pleasure, comfort, cleaniness & speed!

I returned on the 2005ex Belfast on Monday night. A very much quieter journey. This seemed to be managed by Irish Rail staff, the host was rarely seen, there were no announcements of any nature throughout the journey, tickets were only checked after Drogheda at this stage the train was even quieter.

Overall I must confess and give credit, as I've said given the fact the trains are nearly twenty years old, the two journeys I made were reasonably comfortable, punctual and reliable on this occasion. Irish Rail staff could help by being more informative around seat reservations, and announcements made on the train.
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:36   #30
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Well just over 16 years old. The mk3's were just under 20 when they decided to replace them and given all the problems they are having with the De Dietrich sets they need to be withdrawn. Iarnród Éireann and Translink don't have the money to replace them or to even refurb them.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:36   #31
joey
Regular Poster

They should start using all the spare 22K dormant in Portlaoise depot.
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:01   #32
Jamie2k9

They only have four spare sets of 22000 not a lot and not overly great for a Belfast service with no first class worth talking about. You could ask why don't NIR use their new trains. It's not just IE"s responsibility. It would also cost IE a lot more money unless NIR are going to pay to maintain the ICRs as they do the coaches on the enterprise. I don't see any need to replace them trains are still in good condition and any shakiness is track related more than train.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 15:29   #33
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

The De Deitrichs are are not that old (16 or 17 years) and may need some refurb, but not replacing. We have become used to very extravagant expenditure on new rolling stock in this country, and seem to overlook the durability of properly-maintained stock. The original Paris-Lyon TGV sets were built between 1978 and 1984, and are still going strong with at least one mid-life upgrade: rolling stock that old would have our pathetic journalists going on about clapped-out trains!
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 23:17   #34
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACustomer View Post
The original Paris-Lyon TGV sets were built between 1978 and 1984, and are still going strong with at least one mid-life upgrade: rolling stock that old would have our pathetic journalists going on about clapped-out trains!
I think some have been retires and some are used as mail trains. However, overall, they have a balanced fleet - we have the problem of our purchases either being too small or too large.
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:57   #35
joey
Regular Poster

My post has somewhat been torn to shreds about an arguement over the condition of the current Enterprise fleet.

I was merely trying to give credit and to commend NIR & maybe a little bit Irish Rail on the service, as in general and particulary on this website both take a lot of unfair criticism.
Unread 06-06-2013, 21:45   #36
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It gets a hard time as the service is a disgrace, the worst rail service I have had to misfortune to have to use

This evening, there was not a single enterprise train of any type (even the backup train Irish Rail rolled out to replace from 16:50 failure) in motion, one broke down in Connolly 16:50, one went on fire north of Newry 18:05 and the third was abandoned in Newry 19:00, as they needed the locomotive to move the train that had gone on fire. The replacement for the first breakdown, a 29k is stuck behind the train went on fire as the 20:10 ex Belfast

I'd bet good money it was the HEP and the Mk3 gen van would have prevented this.

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 06-06-2013 at 21:50.
Unread 06-06-2013, 22:00   #37
Jamie2k9

Quote:
It gets a hard time as the service is a disgrace, the worst rail service I have had to misfortune to have to use

This evening, there was not a single enterprise train of any type (even the backup train Irish Rail rolled out to replace from 16:50 failure) in motion, one broke down in Connolly 16:50, one went on fire north of Newry 18:05 and the third was abandoned in Newry 19:00, as they needed the locomotive to move the train that had gone on fire. The replacement for the first breakdown, a 29k is stuck behind the train went on fire as the 20:10 ex Belfast

I'd bet good money it was the HEP and the Mk3 gen van would have prevented this.
Wonder how much damage was caused to the locomotive

Those gen vans were due back this month, IE would want to get the finger out and get them sorted.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 06-06-2013 at 22:02.
Unread 06-06-2013, 22:10   #38
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Won't be seen again I'd imagine, lots of 201's lying around

208 died in Connolly, didn't appear to be a spare locomotive available, no sign of anyone working to fix it at 6pm
Unread 06-06-2013, 22:14   #39
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Won't be seen again I'd imagine, lots of 201's lying around

208 died in Connolly, didn't appear to be a spare locomotive available, no sign of anyone working to fix it at 6pm
The train was moved around 20.00, 207 AFAIK came to the rescue, what will the excuse for no spare loco at Connolly...

A lot of 201's doing freight at the minute but it still doesn't justify no spare at Connolly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22805136

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 06-06-2013 at 22:28.
Unread 06-06-2013, 22:44   #40
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I can't imagine there not being any spare 201s, it's all railcars except the Enterprise and most Dub/Cork these days. Can't the 071s do the freight?

Last edited by Thomas Ralph : 06-06-2013 at 22:44. Reason: typo
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote