Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Waterford
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 08-10-2010, 16:25   #1
pixiebean22
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 101
Default Delays going into and leaving Carlow train station

Are they ever going to do anything about these delays? Every single train journey is delayed either going into Carlow station or leaving it.

Last night for instance we sat in Carlow station for nearly 25 minutes, no explanation, nothing (what's new there?), then as soon as a train pulled up at the other platform we pulled away shortly afterwards. Is there any explanation for these delays and are they doing anything to remedy this?

Also, can someone explain the 5 minute stop in Kilkenny station, what is this for? It seems to me to just be a smoking break for the drivers? It can be very frustrating when the train is delayed anyway that you then have to sit in Kilkenny station while the IE employees hop off for a smoke.

I know these probably seem like little issues but when there are delays every single day in the same spots I don't understand how it's not simple to just come up with a solution that will serve rail users?

Last edited by pixiebean22 : 08-10-2010 at 16:26. Reason: more info
pixiebean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 17:53   #2
Kilkea
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Athy
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiebean22 View Post
Are they ever going to do anything about these delays? Every single train journey is delayed either going into Carlow station or leaving it.

Last night for instance we sat in Carlow station for nearly 25 minutes, no explanation, nothing (what's new there?), then as soon as a train pulled up at the other platform we pulled away shortly afterwards. Is there any explanation for these delays and are they doing anything to remedy this?

Also, can someone explain the 5 minute stop in Kilkenny station, what is this for? It seems to me to just be a smoking break for the drivers? It can be very frustrating when the train is delayed anyway that you then have to sit in Kilkenny station while the IE employees hop off for a smoke.

I know these probably seem like little issues but when there are delays every single day in the same spots I don't understand how it's not simple to just come up with a solution that will serve rail users?
Athy to Carlow stretch is a single track, so the train had to wait at Carlow to allow the incoming train to clear the line. However, Athy is only about 10 mins from Carlow, so if IE used their heads they could have held the incoming train at Athy and let your train get to Athy first....but that would take common sense.

Kilkenny is the most ridiculous train set up ever designed. To have a train have to come into the station, then turn around and go back out the same way is crazy. Surely they could have reloacted the station over the past few years out of its current location to somewhere with through traffic?
As far as I know to change the train to go the opposite direction is something which can be done instantly by the driver, the only delay should be his/her walk from one cab to the other.
Kilkea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 19:01   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,635
Default

All trains must reverse at Kilkenny, originally passengers from Waterford to Dublin actually travelled via New Ross and then via the Rosslare line to Dublin or Waterford Kilkenny Portlaois Dublin (which doesn't require any reversals)

Killkenny is effectively one corner of a triangle, with Carlow to the north and Thomastown to the south. Normally allow 1 minute per coach to change ends, 6 coach trains 5 minutes is reasonable. It used to be 10 minutes at Kilkenny

25 minute delays at Carlow are not on, if we knew which train you were on we can take a look at what is causing it and what we can seek changed.

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 08-10-2010 at 19:03.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 19:18   #4
pixiebean22
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
All trains must reverse at Kilkenny, originally passengers from Waterford to Dublin actually travelled via New Ross and then via the Rosslare line to Dublin or Waterford Kilkenny Portlaois Dublin (which doesn't require any reversals)

Killkenny is effectively one corner of a triangle, with Carlow to the north and Thomastown to the south. Normally allow 1 minute per coach to change ends, 6 coach trains 5 minutes is reasonable. It used to be 10 minutes at Kilkenny

25 minute delays at Carlow are not on, if we knew which train you were on we can take a look at what is causing it and what we can seek changed.
It's the 6.35 train from hueston to waterford monday to friday, in fairness most days it's usually 5-10 minutes but in my opinion that's still too much.

The thing i don't understand about the change at kilkenny taking so long is that there is a similar set up at killarney that doesn't take any time at all?
pixiebean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 19:34   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer
 
Colm Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Killkenny is effectively one corner of a triangle, with Carlow to the north and Thomastown to the south. Normally allow 1 minute per coach to change ends, 6 coach trains 5 minutes is reasonable. It used to be 10 minutes at Kilkenny
Surely it doesn't take that long to disable the console, secure the cab, walk the length of the train, open the cab, enable the console, check things are in order and pull out of the station. Surely a 6-car train shouldn't take twice as long as a 3-car train?

If the driver can have a smoke, then surely there is too much time alloted?
__________________
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 20:20   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,635
Default

Killarney is interesting case as there is a century old practice of the driver not changing ends and reversing in/out blind. The current timetable is highly unrealistic allocating only a minute, its a historical hold over from the old days when a change of ends was not required

Time wise, the industry standard is to allow a time which is a function of the train length, and on an ICR the driver must reset the train computer on an end change. The time is not excessive 4 or 5 minutes is allowed, which is down from the 10-12 minutes allocated in the past. The catering trolley may be loaded / unloaded at Kilkenny as well which does take time. The times are padded anyway and leaving Kilkenny a minute early only means a minute delay at Ballyhale or Muine Bheag for the other train.

The approach to Waterford is taken at a ridiculously slow pace, several minutes could be clawed back there

We will look into the 6:35 and see what is going on

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 08-10-2010 at 20:27.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 20:53   #7
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,125
Default

Quote:
The catering trolley may be loaded / unloaded at Kilkenny as well which does take time
The trolley changes at Carlow.

Quote:
The approach to Waterford is taken at a ridiculously slow pace, several minutes could be clawed back there
It has improved a lot it starts to slow down as it passes the main yard as it used to slow before the old N9 level crossing.

The signals in Athy need to be improved a lot as it takes ages for them to change.

18:05 ex Waterford due to arrive Athy at 19:28 and depart at 19:34
18:40 ex Dublin due to arrive Athy at 19:33 and depart at 19:33

The 18:05 stops outside the station for a few mins when the 18:40 is no where near the station.
The 18:40 always stooped the other side of the station for 5mins if not 10mins. After it arrives it departs and the 18:05 is still there for a further 5mins waiting for signals to change.

18:05 ex Waterford due to arrive Athy at 19:28 and depart at 19:45 at the earliest.
18:40 ex Dublin due to arrive Athy at 19:38 and depart at 19:39.

It's a joke at this stage.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 08-10-2010 at 20:56.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 04:31   #8
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
dowlingm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,355
Default

An aggressive approach would be to swap crews at Kilkenny. The turnaround time would be limited to how long to change control to the other cab and the other crew to disembark. Killarney has the same issue right? Were IE to operate through services at Limerick it would be the same there too.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 18:48   #9
pixiebean22
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 101
Default

Another 15 minute delay at carlow this evening
pixiebean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 13:28   #10
Maire
New to the board
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 17
Default

Is there a delay to allow the footbridge overhead to be cleared of people before the train departs? The train that gets into Carlow every evening at 19:35 always stops on platform 2 and everyone has to traipse up and over the ancient footbridge that looks as if it's never had an inspection in its life...(or even the Irish Rail version of an inspection).
Maire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 14:12   #11
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,635
Default

The train waits for the 18:20 from Waterford to arrive, which is due 6 minutes after the 18:35 gets in

The 18:25 was pushed to 18:35 in part to reduce this delay as the 18:20 gets to Carlow quicker than before
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 17:25   #12
pixiebean22
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 101
Default

Also an unexplained ten minute delay sitting outside waterford station. Felt like the train was trying to move but couldn't. I wonder about the tracks that are sometimes covered in water from the rising water levels in the river, does this become a major problem in the winter months?
pixiebean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 18:48   #13
pixiebean22
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 101
Default

Got to carlow station 2 minutes early this evening at 7.34, at 7.46 a train pulled in on the other platform and we pulled out straight away surprisingly, usually we sit there for at least another 5 minutes. When are IE going to tackle this problem? It's extremely frustrating!

Then we didn't reach muine bheag until 7.57 and didn't leave until 8.01.

I don't understand why at this point IE can't make a short announcement to say that due to delays at carlow because of ... this will have a knock on effect on the arrival time at waterford station, we now estimate our time of arrival as x. But I do know why they can't make an announcement like this, because this is IE and there will probably be additional delays

Last edited by pixiebean22 : 12-10-2010 at 19:04.
pixiebean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 23:35   #14
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,125
Default

Quote:
Also an unexplained ten minute delay sitting outside waterford station. Felt like the train was trying to move but couldn't. I wonder about the tracks that are sometimes covered in water from the rising water levels in the river, does this become a major problem in the winter months?
It's no generally not a problem. From what I can remember trains services were only affected for a day or two during winter 09. The water on the tracks was there since the high tide on Friday. Generally it doesn't flood with the high tide.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-10-2010, 17:05   #15
pixiebean22
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
It's no generally not a problem. From what I can remember trains services were only affected for a day or two during winter 09. The water on the tracks was there since the high tide on Friday. Generally it doesn't flood with the high tide.
Well that's something jamie, thanks for that
pixiebean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-10-2010, 10:34   #16
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,125
Default

09:05 Waterford - Heuston stopped in Carlow for 18 minutes
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-10-2010, 18:53   #17
pixiebean22
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 101
Default

20 minutes (so far) sitting in carlow station tonight
pixiebean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-10-2010, 23:27   #18
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,125
Default

Quote:
20 minutes (so far) sitting in carlow station tonight
Was there a reason given??

18:05 in Athy for 20mins on Sunday night.
16:35 stopped at Cherryville Junction for 20mins last Friday waiting for 15:00 from Waterford to pass.

Do these long delays happen on other lines???
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-10-2010, 11:11   #19
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Greenwich, London
Posts: 1,860
Default

It wasn't quite 20 minutes in Athy. 10 maybe, 15 max. Waiting on a down train.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-10-2010, 20:10   #20
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,125
Default

We stopped outside the station for a few minutes and we were at least 16minutes waiting in the Station.

Arrived in Athy at 19:29 - depart at 19:45

Just like the passengers on the 17:40 to Waterford on Sunday arrived in Muine Beag at 18:58 it was at least 10min wait. As the 18:05 to Dublin didn't depart until 19:08 (5 minutes late) even though we arrived on time at 19:03. The 17:40 was still waiting on the platform.

Being stopped in a station for more than 5minutes is not on.

Even tonight
18:20 - Waterford - Heustion departed Athy 27minutes late (according to Real Time Train Info. How late was the 18:35 to Waterford then???

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 19-10-2010 at 20:36.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:43.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.