Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Galway - Limerick - Waterford - Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-02-2012, 17:53   #1
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
And that is how it's supposed to be.
Not exactly fair though how a town like Templemore or a village like Ballybrophy have to compete with a city with a train services and 3 Bus Éireann services to Dublin. They have no competition either e.g like Bus Éireann or JJ Kavanaghs (route 71 was axed in 2010). True they have more/faster trains than the Waterford to Dublin service has, which is great given the size of the areas but the fares are disgraceful.

Templemore is actually getting a lot more passengers i see lately. Was always a 6-10 maximum getting on trains to Dublin/Cork At least 12-14 people got on the train the other day. And they said the Garda college not recruiting for a few years would end up reducing the amount of users.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 19:00   #2
IckyThump
Regular Poster

wow if thats the new price from limerick to waterford thats amazing. i still keep my point tht it should be advertised as id hate to see the service done away with or reduced further. but that price is amazing.

Thanks
IckyThump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 06:40   #3
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Any idea how much Thurles-Waterford is now cause i have to go there soon and don't want to have to get the bus there from Clonmel.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-02-2012, 14:36   #4
IckyThump
Regular Poster

oh my god

for anyone wondering the actual cost limerick-waterford

the new fairs are

single - €24 up from €12
return - €31(or 31.5 or something) up from €23

that is a 100% hike on a sub standard line with old broken down trains. no advertising and no information available to customers. let alone the fact that the only 3 trains that run each way every day are at unrealistic times for workers use and the fact there is no sunday service.

i went into waterford ticket office yesterday and these are the costs i was told(at ticket box and the machine. for a change both prices are the same)

needless to say i got the bus instead

the bus went from €13.50 to €16 where the train went from €12 to €24

the excuse that the train losses money because of a lack of numbers is a joke. if it was promoted they coul easily take numbers from the regular bus service doing the exact same route

€24 is ridiculous and i will not be using the train while the fair remains this high

its all well and good saying some costs went up but at least the leap card will save money. but the leap card is of no use to me in limerick or waterford
Unread 16-02-2012, 19:04   #5
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IckyThump View Post
the excuse that the train losses money because of a lack of numbers is a joke. if it was promoted they coul easily take numbers from the regular bus service doing the exact same route
The bus does Limerick-Waterford. The train does Limerick Junction-Limerick and Limerick Junction-Waterford. Not the same thing at all! IE doesn't want to mess up their failure to compete against the bus on the one route with a crappy enough road that even a 40mph 2700 is vaguely competitive.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-02-2012, 01:55   #6
IckyThump
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
The bus does Limerick-Waterford. The train does Limerick Junction-Limerick and Limerick Junction-Waterford. Not the same thing at all! IE doesn't want to mess up their failure to compete against the bus on the one route with a crappy enough road that even a 40mph 2700 is vaguely competitive.
yea the route is Limerick-limerick junction limerick junction-waterford

but even with the half hour wait at the junction it takes 2 and a half hours in totla which is literally 5 mins longer than the bus that goes direct but also stops at said junction

the time differnce is nothing even with a crappy road competing with a crappy track

when talking to students i rarely and i mean RARELY meet someone who uses the train because they assumed the train cost way more................... of course now they are right. but when i first started using the train it was €1.50 cheaper than the bus and i had the comfort of toilets and a socket for my laptop.

if only the train was increased equally the way the bus was then id have no problem. but a €2.50 increase for busses and a €12 increase for trains is scandalous and shows a lack of respect for customers while trying to blind the media with the "hey Dublin i got you another present" campaign
Unread 17-02-2012, 20:06   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We understand that discounted fares apply ONLY between stations within the line

So there is a signiifcant discount Tipperary Waterford

It may be worth while to investigate the fare from Limerick to Tipperary and from Tipperary Waterford. There may be a significant saving by doing this.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-02-2012, 22:44   #8
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
It may be worth while to investigate the fare from Limerick to Tipperary and from Tipperary Waterford. There may be a significant saving by doing this.
That would violate the CIÉ byelaws
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-02-2012, 14:36   #9
IckyThump
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructix View Post
Any idea how much Thurles-Waterford is now cause i have to go there soon and don't want to have to get the bus there from Clonmel.
i think it was €6 or 7