Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 09-03-2009, 14:37   #1
danielfelice
New to the board

Default Broombridge & Clonsilla Question

Hi Guys,

Got two questions for you here: Question 1 is more just for my own info and question 2 will settle a dispute between me and my girlfriend

1. On the northside of Broombridge heading toward town, there are 2 platforms that are no longer in use a few hundred metres from the existing Broombridge station. The two platforms are on either side of the canal and are now overgrown with grass and who knows what else. Where these the original Broombridge platforms? Is there any info on them or does anyone know what they were and where they went? I am assuming the platform on the same side as the nortbound platform went into down, but the one on the otherside of the canal?

2. The man in the "wheelhouse" (?) at Clonsilla. How does he know when the trains are coming? Is he in radio contact with the drivers? Does he have a gps system that tell him when to open the gates? What if he falls asleep? Does he live there?

Thanks!
Dan
Unread 09-03-2009, 15:23   #2
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielfelice View Post
Hi Guys,

Got two questions for you here: Question 1 is more just for my own info and question 2 will settle a dispute between me and my girlfriend

1. On the northside of Broombridge heading toward town, there are 2 platforms that are no longer in use a few hundred metres from the existing Broombridge station. The two platforms are on either side of the canal and are now overgrown with grass and who knows what else. Where these the original Broombridge platforms? Is there any info on them or does anyone know what they were and where they went? I am assuming the platform on the same side as the nortbound platform went into down, but the one on the otherside of the canal?

2. The man in the "wheelhouse" (?) at Clonsilla. How does he know when the trains are coming? Is he in radio contact with the drivers? Does he have a gps system that tell him when to open the gates? What if he falls asleep? Does he live there?

Thanks!
Dan
Hey Dan,

1. Thats news to me, unless it had something to do with the old Broadstone line?

2. LOL! Staff members take shifts to control the tower at clonsilla. It is (AFIK) 24 hour based and as far as I heard before they control signalling atheir system would tell them when to open the gates etc. Its a great advantage that if the station is not open ask the tower when the next train is due!!
Unread 09-03-2009, 15:48   #3
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Presume this is what is described in Q1. Maybe it's canal rather than rail related?
Unread 09-03-2009, 17:15   #4
zag
Regular Poster

Looks like the site of the junction with the track to Broadstone (going off to the bottom right before the current track crosses the canal), so presumably there used to be a station/halt there.

z
Unread 09-03-2009, 17:19   #5
zag
Regular Poster

Default Liffey Junction

From industrialheritageireland.info - http://www.industrialheritageireland...nollySligo.htm

Photos here - http://www.industrialheritageireland...nollySligo.htm

0/1½ 2.88 LIFFEY JUNCTION Last Updated:

Immediately before the line crosses the Royal Canal at the Dublin Connolly end of the station is the site of a carriage shed on the Down side. On the opposite side of the canal is the derelict water tower and associated column on the Sligo line. Beyond this, the Broadstone line trailed in on the Down side. There were two island platforms here, one on each side of the running lines and a loading bank on the Down side as well as extensive sidings. Only the island platform on the Up side remains, those on the Down side west of the junction point were demolished in 1997 and the running lines realigned in two stages to allow for an easier curve.

Liffey Junction closed to passengers in 1926 and totally in 1977. There was a block post here until 1991, the signal cabin having been on the Down side adjacent to the radio aerial. At the Sligo end of the station on the same side, is the site of the MGWR's creosoting depot. There was a siding connection to this.
Unread 09-03-2009, 18:35   #6
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Getting dangerously into infrastructure here, folks; please keep it to the members' area.
Unread 09-03-2009, 18:57   #7
danielfelice
New to the board

thanks!

heres the "platforms" in red

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 1811
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 1403
Size:  48.8 KB
this one looks like there is/was a line running next to it
Unread 09-03-2009, 19:04   #8
ThomasJ

i could be wrong but that looks like the trackbed of the old broadstone line! again i could be wrong!
Unread 09-03-2009, 19:46   #9
zag
Regular Poster

Default Woo woo infrastructure alert

Danger, this may not be relevant to passengers, never mind that it's interesting. Woo woo.

That trackbed in the second photo is definitely the old route to Broadstone.

Can I change my title to "Used to be a member but didn't like the way the infrastructure police used to scare people off while they didn't mind going into infinite detail about issues that left the ordinary punter miles behind" ? Please ?

z

Last edited by zag : 09-03-2009 at 19:49.
Unread 09-03-2009, 20:46   #10
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Sorry folks you were warned. One of the privileges of membership is that you get to discuss infrastructure and technical issues to your heart's content. You can even break out the crayons.
Closed Thread