Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 27-07-2006, 17:49   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default [27-7-2006] 13:30 Cork Dublin

The grapevine had reported serious problems with the 13:30 Cork Dublin (aka the new train), it had a suspension fault and was limited to 60mph, I was booked on it. I knew this at 13:40

Show up Thurles ask ticket checker he knows nothing at 14:35 (due at 14:47), it as a little late he was surprised I was expecting a major delay. I'm stuck since I can't board the 14:54 service since I have a reserved seat. Ticket checker then confirms the train is late at 14:52. NO PA was made to make this known, no one cared since they pilled onto the 14:54 train

So 19 minutes late the train rolls in and sets off and cruises along at 60 mph the whole way to Dublin. The suspension seemed to be at fault on the citygold coach, the travelling technical crew did a visual inspection at Port Laois, they reboarded and we left quickly

So Happy the train manager makes the usual inaudible PA as we pass Inchicore that we had been delayed due to speed restrictions en route, doesn't match the reality, you are not allowed blame the new train.

Telling the truth seems to be a step too far for IE

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 31-07-2006 at 10:11.
Unread 27-07-2006, 19:42   #2
Derek Wheeler

So, to put the record straight, to anyone interested, the train referred to by Mark, was running at 60 mph due to a "fault" with the train and not line speed restrictions. Other trains operated to schedule.

These are the facts.

As usual, thank you to our source.

I really do hope that these new trains don't turn out to be a technical nightmare and hopefully this is a one off. Interesting to see if the same set works the 9am ex Dublin tomorrow without problems.

After all the testing and disputes and a little over 2 months in, this is a disaster from a customer point of view.
Unread 27-07-2006, 19:53   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

On the upside

The PIS actually was working correctly with all the bugs we noted fixed

Seat booking worked and I did get the exact seat I wanted

Someone had the cop to turn the AC up a notch

Normally there would be a senior IE person on board and words would be exchanged but alas no one could be found, they carry a print out of the seat listing so they would have known I was onboard
Unread 28-07-2006, 14:22   #4
MrX
Really Regular Poster

I wonder what kind of a suspension problem it could have been? Seems odd ..

What times are they running in both directions now?
Unread 28-07-2006, 14:27   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Protocol for a suspension fault is 60mph since its below the speed where lateral forces get serious. Plenty of concerned technical people looking at the suspension at the buffet end of the citygold coach

Currently its 9:00/11:00 ex Dublin and 13:30/15:30 ex Cork Mon to Sat

For the record it was 4002 yesterday and the defective coach was 4202, nothing on the train computer displays and even at 60mph the ride was suspect the whole way and I was is standard class ie a non defective coach
Unread 28-07-2006, 16:12   #6
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Mark,

When you mention that the computer displays were off. Do you mean that the suspension is controlled by the train's on-board software?

Incidently, I was on the heathrow express recently and the ride is IDENTICAL to the CDE. Same feeling and sounds. Also, when I got up to move down the coach to get something out of my bag, it was pretty much identical to the CDE i.e. the same forces etc.

Also a CAF project, clearly they share some of the same mechanics.

Also, the heathrow connect has pretty much the same toilets, just in a different colour scheme. Similar voice announcements too on the connect.

Last edited by MrX : 28-07-2006 at 16:15.
Unread 28-07-2006, 16:19   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX
Mark,

When you mention that the computer displays were off. Do you mean that the suspension is controlled by the train's on-board software?
Train computers online but the diagnostics not showing any warnings you expect a warning if something is broke (OK there was a comms error on the doors system)

The more I think about yesterday the fault was generic not specific and we have nothing to worry about

My problem is being lied to about the cause of the delay thats not good customer relations

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 28-07-2006 at 16:27.
Unread 28-07-2006, 16:23   #8
MrX
Really Regular Poster

IE regularly just make up any old reason for a delay though..

I mean, I got off a MK3 in Heuston hours late after the CDE test train had hit a cow and the announcements in Heuston were appologising about the delay due to a derailment!

What was worse was the IE staff closed Heuston and left passengers stranded at a dark, dangerous and lonley taxi rank.

The very least they could have done was make sure taxis were informed!

I came down on a MK3 set, in a Cu na Mara coach 9PM ex Dublin. Speaking of suspension, there was a few mins somewhere between Kildare and Thurles (sorry I can't be more specific) where the ride was truely aweful. It was like the track had been damaged. The coach swayed violently back and forth. The rest of the trip was pretty much standard MK3 ride.

Just wondering if it could be in anyway linked to the suspension problem?

Last edited by MrX : 29-07-2006 at 10:36.
Closed Thread