Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Waterford
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 13-02-2008, 09:53   #1
ErnestGoodheart
New to the board

Default Any People Commute From Athy?

Hi, I was just wondering about anyone that commutes from Ahty to Dublin daily. I might be buying a house there and was wondering what the train service is like?

Many Thanks.
ErnestGoodheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-02-2008, 10:14   #2
AndrewMc
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestGoodheart View Post
Hi, I was just wondering about anyone that commutes from Ahty to Dublin daily. I might be buying a house there and was wondering what the train service is like?

Many Thanks.
I assume you mean, beyond what the timetable says?

The (free) car park in Athy is busy, but has enough space. I believe they're doing some work on that in the near future, but I'm not sure what the final result will be. If they put down some lines and people bother to put their cars between them, they'll fit quite a bit more in.

Trains are frequently 10–15 minutes late into Dublin, so add that into your journey if it's touch-and-go for making work on time. But don't count on it, either — today was a minor miracle and for the first time in ages it made most stations spot on time, and reached Dublin 7 minutes early. Trains out in the evening are more likely to be on time.

You should also bear in mind the time to get from Heuston to work and back.

Seating to Dublin in the morning is fine, and trains usually fill at Kildare or Newbridge instead. Going back in the evening is not normally a problem either. When the 17.35 was running it had plenty of seats, and it took the pressure off the 18.25 leaving it with enough space. But, with the 17.35 temporarily cancelled (see the other threads about this), the 18.25 is fairly busy again and you should aim to be about 15 minutes early for it. I haven't taken the 16.25 in probably a year, but at that time it could end up packed like a cattle truck, especially on Fridays. Not sure if other timetable changes have affected it or not.

Hope that helps!
AndrewMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-02-2008, 15:40   #3
ErnestGoodheart
New to the board

Default Thanks!

Thanks a million for that information, helps a lot.
ErnestGoodheart is offline   Reply With Quote