Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-11-2019, 15:34   #1
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Default TaxSaver 2019/20

Looks like these have been updated and simplified:
  • €1300 Luas Only
  • €1450 DART / Commuter Rail or Dublin Bus Only (Same or €50 increase on 2018/19)
  • €1800 Any combination of 2 of 3 of the above (Same or €100 increase on 2018/19 depending on choice)
  • €1950 All 3 modes (Reduction of €100 on 2018/19)

The gap between 1 mode and 3 mode seems to be narrowing each year. I thought I'd test out a 3-mode Taxsaver ticket this last year, and it just gives me such an increased choice of getting to and from work.

I suspect Luas journeys are significantly under-recorded - not just by fare-dodgers but also Taxsaver holders who don't need to log off to obtain a fare refund. I always touch on for Bus journeys and on/off for Dart but have given up on most Luas journeys due to queues at busy stops.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2019, 11:58   #2
James Shields

Taxsaver users still have to tag on, so there's a record that a journey took place, even if the destination isn't recorded.

Since the Taxsaver Leap card is identifiable, it should be easy to accumulate statistics. If the same leap card tags on in Red Cow most mornings, and tags on at Four Courts most evenings, it's easy to infer the journey pattern.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2019, 16:45   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The official line is to tag on/off

On the Green line before the extensions opened, there was a pattern of tag on in Sandyford and no tag off, as it didn't matter.

You should tag on, it does make life a bit easier when tickets are checked, but no real need to tag off.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote