Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 29-03-2011, 09:31   #21
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

S&R tickets involving Fishguard don't appear to exist on the GB ticketing system.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2011, 10:59   #22
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Best option is then to call Stena and book manually through them.

If Stena says no let me know and I'll follow up with the Stena route director for Rosslare - Fishguard
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2011, 22:41   #23
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanrailbus View Post
2. An "overnight" train ex Holyhead circa 0130 is to be reintroduced in the new timetable from May 22nd. This will give a connection out of both sailings from Dublin Port viz. the 2055 hrs. Irish Ferries Ulysses (arr. 0020) and 2115 hrs. Stena Line Stena Adventurer (arr 0030) so no longer will there be a need for a prolonged wait for the first train at 0425.
Where did you hear this? I've plugged the time and date on www.thetrainline.com and nothing new is coming up yet for after 22 May.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2011, 08:06   #24
Traincustomer

I was told it in good faith and legitimately as a result of representations I've made on the SailRail issue since 2009. I do not wish to go posting details of Manager X in Company Z type of stuff here other than to say I'm just a humble user and not party to any inner workings but wouldn't have been told this in the correspondence I received if it wasn't true and going to happen.
Timetable should be out in next few weeks which will give exact details.
Hope this reply doesn't come across as being short as it's not intended to be
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2011, 08:13   #25
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
Where did you hear this? I've plugged the time and date on www.thetrainline.com and nothing new is coming up yet for after 22 May.
I recommend not using that website as it charges more than booking through any train operating company's site.

Having said that, www.nationalrail.co.uk isn't finding it either. It may not have been loaded into the system yet.
Unread 30-03-2011, 08:38   #26
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The UK system normally loads 8-12 weeks out so if its not there now its likely not going to be there. If it is, it assumes there is a connection somewhere to get you to Crewe

I would ask all posters not to post timetable information like this until there is positive proof of the exact timings and running dates, this is of even greater significance with international journeys
Unread 30-03-2011, 10:17   #27
ThomasJ

Seen as though we were talking about this earlier, I saw these faqs on the arriva sailrail website
http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/SailRail/FAQs/

Quote:
Which routes can I travel on?
Available for standard class travel from any station in the UK to and from Dublin via Holyhead.
Available for standard class travel from any station in the UK to and from Rosslare via Fishguard.
Available on all rail operators’ services.
Please note: if you would like to travel from the UK to Belfast via Stranraer, please visit First ScotRail’s website for further information.
Quote:
Which Irish stations can I travel to?
SailRail tickets are available to most stations in Ireland.
Please note: for online sales, you can only purchase tickets to the following Irish Stations: Dublin Connolly, Dublin Ferry Port, Dublin Port Stena, Dun Laoghaire, Rosslare, Cork and Limerick. Other Irish stations will be available on the online booking system from May 2011.
If you wish to purchase SailRail tickets to other stations not listed above, please visit your nearest railway station.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2011, 14:24   #28
Traincustomer

While I posted it in good faith and with a helpful intent, I have nonetheless removed a section of my original post.
Unread 30-03-2011, 18:51   #29
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Just to confirm that a ticket from Cardiff Bay to Dundalk can be routed HOLYHD STENA CIV, HLYHD IRISHF CIV, or HLYHD SWIFT CIV.

However, if you pick a different journey like London Terminals to Rosslare Harbour, you're offered FSHGRD STENA CIV instead.
Unread 30-03-2011, 19:23   #30
Traincustomer

Default Irish Ferries SailRail booking facility now online (including provincial stations):

Gentlemen (and ladies), the online booking facility is now available on the Irish Ferries website. It must have been uploaded yesterday or today as have been keeping a regular watch for it and it wasn't there last time.

Two very pleasing points are that (1). WRC stations and Midleton are included and (2). it allows you to book extras viz. Club Class and or a bicycle.

All Éire stations appear to be in the list though not Dublin Suburban ones which traditionally have not been available for SailRail bookings (so the likes of Dunboyne would require one to purchase a separate ticket to town/ Dún Laoghaire).*

With doom and gloom all around it's good to see this "can do" approach. Compliments due in my view to Irish Ferries for bringing this to fruition.

(* Footnote - am talking in general in paragraph 3. If booking online with Irish Ferries one would have to buy a ticket/use a pass/Smartcard from given suburban station to town. In the case of Dún Laoghaire the same but only Stena sail from there (HSS once daily at 1315 from 1st April) and no online booking.)

I thought the Stena Express would do the initial sailings but the website confirms it's the HSS (Stena Explorer).

Last edited by Traincustomer : 30-03-2011 at 19:53. Reason: clarification note
Unread 30-03-2011, 21:05   #31
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

A brilliant addition, (if a long time coming). Booking over the phone was probably a poor use of staff time, and the internet will be able to handle the surges in bookings that occurred during last year's weather related incidents much better, though I am sure it required significant investment. Let's see if Stena follows...
Unread 31-03-2011, 07:54   #32
Traincustomer

Here here!
My thinking is that the actual issuing of tickets will remain unchanged (i.e. the coupon tickets we've had for decades) and that the online system will simply generate a pick list of what the customer wants, to be processed by the booking clerk in the usual way.

There is no reason why Stena Line and Irish Rail shouldn't be able to do likewise. The system required would essentially be the same leading to the possibility of a centralised SailRail booking facility (just my point-and not based on any knowledge/assumption that this will ultimately happen).

My only concern is that the online system wouldn't become the exclusive means of booking SailRail. Hopefully the online system will attract a strong level of bookings but the facility for booking in person at both the ports and certain provincial railway stations needs to remain (internet great but does not suit all people at all times in all places). Too often these days the assumption is made that everyone can do everything online.
Unread 31-03-2011, 09:59   #33
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
A brilliant addition, (if a long time coming). Booking over the phone was probably a poor use of staff time, and the internet will be able to handle the surges in bookings that occurred during last year's weather related incidents much better, though I am sure it required significant investment. Let's see if Stena follows...
Stena already have a system but only if you are UK based

Irish Rail will sell by phone or at main booking offices (and given you have to start from a train station...) Under normal circumstances its walk up and go

Downside with online booking is it is endorsed on specific services/dates not the blank coupon Irish Rail uses
Unread 31-03-2011, 12:43   #34
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I am happy to help facilitate bookings (using my UK address) for people who need assistance.
Unread 31-03-2011, 14:10   #35
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Stena already have a system but only if you are UK based
True, but hardly comprehensive as you have to be going from one of 10 departure stations in the UK (out of 2400).
Unread 31-03-2011, 14:20   #36
quartz
New to the board

Quote:
Best option is then to call Stena and book manually through them.

If Stena says no let me know and I'll follow up with the Stena route director for Rosslare - Fishguard
Hi Mark, I called Stena today and they told me they are unable to book onward travel from Rosslare on Irish Rail. They told me it had been possible in the past, but was no longer the case. Any ideas?!
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2011, 14:52   #37
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartz View Post
Hi Mark, I called Stena today and they told me they are unable to book onward travel from Rosslare on Irish Rail. They told me it had been possible in the past, but was no longer the case. Any ideas?!
Hmm, the excuse is its a one way journey. There is no way to get from Dublin to UK via Rosslare without a ridiculous layover in Rosslare
Unread 31-03-2011, 15:13   #38
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

So was it accepted until the Rosslare-Waterford line was closed?

IIRC There was a Waterford-Rosslare train that connected to the 9pm boat and a train on from Fishguard after that arrived
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 07:44   #39
quartz
New to the board

Quote:
Hmm, the excuse is its a one way journey. There is no way to get from Dublin to UK via Rosslare without a ridiculous layover in Rosslare
That is a truly bizarre reason!

I was planning to get the overnight ferry from Wales to Rosslare and then get the northbound train at 07:50. I know there’s a bit of a wait at Rosslare after the ferry arrives, but I prefer the train than BÉ.

Would IÉ be able to book that S&R journey for me on a CIV paper ticket? If not I will just have to book the IÉ train separately.
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:32   #40
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If you try to get from Dublin to the UK its not easy via Rosslare.

All Sail/Rail tickets are issued under CIV rules, Irish Rail could certainly issue the ticket if the journey originated in Ireland but as it doesn't they probably can't

In this case you are probably best booking to Rosslare and then from Rosslare onwards. I did meet the route director in Fishguard last Summer so we have a contact in Stena line to chase.