Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 24-07-2009, 22:17   #1
seamus kilcock
Regular Poster

Default 1030 Cork/Dublin Friday 17th July 2009.

My sister travelled fromTralee to Dublin on Friday 17th July.
She left Tralee on the 0915 connecting at Mallow with the 1030 ex Cork.
She decided to travel 1st class. The train hostess was there advising passengers of the 20 Euro supplement. The ticket checker never made an appearance!
Neither did the trolly service appear.
She heard an announcement to the effect the bar was closing in 10 minutes.
She struggled to keep from falling - due to the train swaying so much - as she made her way to the bar to be told she could not have any coffee as the trolly service was finished. She said she was in the 1st class carriage and no trolly made an appearance to be told it 'did' the 1st class between Cork and Mallow!
Considering the hundreds of millions of Euro spent on upgrading the Irish Rail network it is a disgrace to be presented with what is in effect a 'Fawlty Towers' version of modern day train travel in Ireland.

Last edited by seamus kilcock : 25-07-2009 at 20:40.
seamus kilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-07-2009, 12:01   #2
Sasha
Regular Poster

I think catering staff have to close the bar 10-15 min before arrival to Dublin/Cork. They have to do that as they must to check the stock and to close all sales documents. Next crew is coming shortly after arrival and they do need some time to be ready for service. So, 10-15 minutes before arrival is fair enough.

Trolley service did appear between Cork and Mallow. Perhaps, that train was busy and in standart class was high demand for tea/coffee etc. However buffet was open on that service, so all passengers could purchase beverages and snacks from the bar counter.

Seamus, I don't know why your sister didn't get coffee from the bar but she was traveling 1st class free of charge. Some services there is no checker available, but I think it is unnecessary. Train hosts should be able to sell an upgrade to 1st class.
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-07-2009, 12:31   #3
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I don't think train hosts issue tickets, demarcation issues
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-07-2009, 13:05   #4
Sasha
Regular Poster

No, they don't. Neither can they say that you cannot travel 1st class because no ticket checker on board to upgrade your ticket.
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-07-2009, 15:16   #5
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

True, but travelling in 1st class without a 1st class ticket is the same as ticketless travel and unless you have been given permission by a staff member (which must be affirmative permission; just not obstructing you isn't enough) you are technically liable to be fined.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote