Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-11-2006, 16:58   #41
Jimbo
New to the board

I believe there is a new timetable due in the next few weeks, can anyone tell me if they know of any improvement in the Monasterevin service?
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-11-2006, 14:56   #42
stevetee
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The fundamental problem in Monasterevin is its small population.....
Check out the number of new houses that have been built in the town over the last 6 months.

Quote:
I'll forward on our proposed of peak timetable if you wish.....
Can you post it here so everyone can see it ?

Mark, do you permit members to canvas for User Group support through this notice board ?

Steve
stevetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-11-2006, 15:32   #43
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetee View Post
Mark, do you permit members to canvas for User Group support through this notice board ?

Steve
Yep, fire away.
Unread 22-03-2007, 16:21   #44
stevetee
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
Yep, fire away.
I have sent Derek my mobile number to arrange a meeting in Monasterevin with the aim of setting up a Monasterevin Rail Users Group. So far not a peep out the man. Hes probably very busy given the impending election and state of the rail service but if anyone sees him could they pass on a message from Steve Tee :" Please call me so we can get the ball rolling"

Thanks P11 for your support

Steve
Unread 22-03-2007, 16:50   #45
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Derek knows and will be in touch, like you said its very busy at the moment, 2 media gigs and 1 public meeting over the last 48 hours

The election is coming indeed and all the politicians are out with promises, they are quick to forget what they promised and failed to deliver last time
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 23:18   #46
stevetee
Regular Poster

Quote:
Derek knows and will be in touch, like you said its very busy at the moment, 2 media gigs and 1 public meeting over the last 48 hours

The election is coming indeed and all the politicians are out with promises, they are quick to forget what they promised and failed to deliver last time
Derek, the tension is killing us. Please get in touch. Steve
Unread 04-04-2007, 23:34   #47
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Desperatly Seeking Derek.

You could always ask me, you know.

Not that I'm offended or anything or about to go off in a huff.........
Unread 05-04-2007, 00:13   #48
Derek Wheeler

Shove off Stamp. Finish the Newsletter.

Steve, I'll ring you Good Friday.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 00:26   #49
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

So now you know how to get his attention Steve, just tell him you'll bring your complaints to me!!
Unread 11-04-2007, 14:34   #50
Jimbo
New to the board

Under commuter services, the kildare line is most popular and in the Kildare line section Monasterevin has the most posts, by this simple logic it's the topic people feel strongly about!!!!
Badly need a better service, really it's a total waste of time at the moment for commuters to have the last train at 6. Commuters in Monasterevin have to go to Kildare totally defeating the point of the station.
Unread 11-04-2007, 21:54   #51
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Commuters in Monasterevin have to go to Kildare totally defeating the point of the station.
Dont say that - they'll close the station!!!
Unread 13-04-2007, 00:20   #52
stevetee
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
Shove off Stamp. Finish the Newsletter.

Steve, I'll ring you Good Friday.
Sorry Derek, I was in Wales for my sins. Give me a shout soon.

Steve
Unread 13-04-2007, 00:22   #53
Derek Wheeler

I'll phone you at 8pm Friday 13th. (later today as things stand)
Unread 21-04-2007, 00:02   #54
Derek Wheeler

I met with Steve last Saturday (April 14th) and we are in the offing to assist.
Unread 02-05-2007, 10:43   #55
Jimbo
New to the board

Default Question

Is there a timetable somewhere on the site for the 4 track project out of heuston station or somewhere I can see more details on it?
Will it mean that arrow won't have to stop until naas now?
Unread 06-05-2007, 01:21   #56
stevetee
Regular Poster

Default Interested ?

jimbo would you be interested in getting involved in a user group to raise awareness around the plight of Monsaterevins train service ?
Steve
Unread 08-05-2007, 14:44   #57
Jimbo
New to the board

Stevetee,

Yeah I suppose so. Wouldn't have too much free time but would love to see some improvement on the service.
Unread 08-05-2007, 22:36   #58
stevetee
Regular Poster

Default MRUG in sight ?

Jimbo, thats the first positive response I've had so far. Good for you.

I am too busy to run around organising extra curricular but its worth a shot, see what kind of response we get (a) from people in the town and (b) the powers that be who right now couldnt care less.

I will send you my mobile number through P11 private messages . If you could call me, I can ascertain whether it is feasible to establish the group between us for starters. Then we can arrange to meet.

Again, your support is appreciated.

Steve
Unread 04-02-2008, 17:40   #59
stevetee
Regular Poster

Unhappy But will we got more trains stopping at Monasterevin ?

Press release from IE
"Last Updated: 04/02/2008 17:10 New rail fleet 'greenest in Europe'

Ireland is swapping the oldest trains in Europe for the newest under a significant investment in the railways, it was claimed today.

Iarnród Éireann said the new €400 million Intercity railcar fleet being rolled out this year will transform services.

It also claims the 183 South Korean-built carriages will be the "greenest" diesel train fleet in Europe already meeting future standards for fuel emissions.

"The transformation of our rail service is extraordinary," said Dick Fearn, chief executive, Iarnród Éireann, officially launching the new fleet in Sligo.

"We have totally rebuilt our network, we have dramatically expanded commuter capacity, and now we are completing the task of a total renewal of our Intercity fleet."

The first of the new railcars are already running on the Cork-Dublin, Sligo-Dublin and Limerick-Dublin lines.

Other routes to get the new carriages this year include Rosslare-Dublin, Waterford-Dublin, Westport-Dublin, Tralee-Dublin, Tralee-Cork, Galway-Dublin and the Carlow, Athlone, Portlaoise commuter routes.

Iarnród Éireann said the investment will see significantly higher frequency and capacity on all Intercity routes with improved accessibility for mobility-impaired customers.

The new trains will have automatic PA and information display systems, electronic seat reservation displays for web bookings, full air-conditioning and an internal CCTV system.

A record high of more than 46 million journeys were made on the country's rail network last year, according to Iarnród Éireann. "

Hats off to IE, they've given the publicity bottle a good spin. Sounds impressive on TV/raaaadio/internet but the litmus test for myself as a now-only-occasional-train-user and the rest of the commuting population of Monasterevin who currently drive ( that requires rail users to use their Cars Mr Fearn) to Portarlington or Kildare is increased services stopping at Monasterevin train station. Intercities are of no use to us. We just see them whizzing by at an even greater speed than before. Nor will the Kildare Route project directly impact on us. We've been over all this information a million times and still there is no change.

Will the advent of the Portlaoise depot assist the regularity of service stopping at Monasterevin ?

Incidentally I heard from a very well placed source in IE that the passenger footfall for Adamstown train station at present is lower than that for Monasterevin. If you factor in the Monasterevin commuters using Kildare and Portarlington, the discrepancy is probably even wider and yet the population of the town has been IEs main argument against improving the service. And yet the Adamstown service + the spin on future services to that City-As-Yet-To-Be-Built would have you believe the demand for trains is sky high judging by the service they get.

Farkin ell Mr Fearn, whats the story ?
Unhappy

Steve
Unread 27-05-2008, 16:26   #60
stevetee
Regular Poster

Default MRUG Inaugral meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Stevetee,

Yeah I suppose so. Wouldn't have too much free time but would love to see some improvement on the service.

Jimbo,

In case you still check in to this forum - and my apologies for forgetting about you - there is a meeting planned to kick off a Monasterevin Rail Users Group in Mooneys at 8pm tonight(27-05-08). I've failed badly on the publicity front this time so I'll make sure to get word up here earlier next time.

If you (or anyone reading this) can make it tonight, please do. We need as many concerned citizens involved as possible.

Steve