Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 31-01-2017, 20:31   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer
 
Colm Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,430
Default Map - Dublin Area Train and Tram Services

https://www.transportforireland.ie/j...-planner/maps/
__________________
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2017, 11:10   #2
markpb
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 540
Default

While they're a good idea, I think they're a little disingenuous.

The train/tram map artificially squeezes in the north of the city so it looks like
Broombridge and Bayside are equidistant from the city centre. Urban rail maps regularly do this for clarity but I think this one takes it a step too far.

The Frequent Services map considers a bus service to be frequent if its frequent at peak hours. Yes, it says this in the description so they're not hiding it but, again, it's a little disingenuous.

The local area maps look good. DCU has an odd 'You are here' pointer on the map which is odd but otherwise they're very good.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2017, 12:49   #3
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
While they're a good idea, I think they're a little disingenuous.

The train/tram map artificially squeezes in the north of the city so it looks like
Broombridge and Bayside are equidistant from the city centre. Urban rail maps regularly do this for clarity but I think this one takes it a step too far.

The Frequent Services map considers a bus service to be frequent if its frequent at peak hours. Yes, it says this in the description so they're not hiding it but, again, it's a little disingenuous.

The local area maps look good. DCU has an odd 'You are here' pointer on the map which is odd but otherwise they're very good.
The local maps are designed to be physically put up in the locations concerned - hence the "You are here".

Sadly as per usual with our disjointed transport system the Dún Laoghaire maps have not been updated to reflect the revised bus network in the area.

The lack of a complete public transport network map for Dublin is still outrageous.

I think you're expecting a lot of a schematic map to reflect scale to be honest. Not even the London Underground map does that - significantly over/under stating distances between certain stations.

I think you have to accept that with schematic maps scale tends to be impossible if you want to have clarity.

Last edited by berneyarms : 02-02-2017 at 12:51.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2017, 13:27   #4
comcor
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford
Posts: 767
Default

You should try the Cork Bus Network Map for general rubbishness.

- Three missing routes - 201, 202A, 220X (the 202A runs every 20 mins, so it is not an insignificant route)
- One route that has an archaic routing - 203
- Four that have inaccurate routings - 202, 216, 220 and 226A
- A couple of stops that are featured, but don't have all the route lines going through them - Thomas Davis St is shown on the 207A, but not the 203 or 215. Rochestown Road is shown on the 223 and not the 216. In the case of the first of these, it looks like the nearest the 203 and 215 get is about 4km away.

And it could honestly be worse than that as I don't know what some of the routes do out in the suburbs.

Is there any way to give feedback as it is quite a shoddy job?
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2017, 00:21   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer
 
Colm Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
Is there any way to give feedback as it is quite a shoddy job?
Many of the maps are on their first editions, so that comment might be harsh. A large part of the problem is the indifference of the operators.

I had asked for the rail map to be created, seeing as you would barely know that two rail networks exist looking at Irish Rail and Luas maps. I'm compiling a list of issues.

Otherwise info@nationaltransport.ie for general issues or passengerinfo@nationaltransport.ie for journey planner issues.
__________________
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2017, 09:24   #6
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
James Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sligo Line
Posts: 1,075
Default

You can see why there is resistance towards producing overall maps. There is absurd duplication between a lot of the train and tram services and the bus routes. Some of the best bus routes in the city are serving areas already well served by rail.

This is a huge waste of resources - a much better overall service could be provided by using the resources on frequent reliable shuttle services to get people to the trams and trains.

You have the same thing on a national scale with Bus Eireann duplicating Irish Rail services. Competition is a fine thing but not when it's between two companies in the same group.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2017, 21:12   #7
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
You can see why there is resistance towards producing overall maps. There is absurd duplication between a lot of the train and tram services and the bus routes. Some of the best bus routes in the city are serving areas already well served by rail.

This is a huge waste of resources - a much better overall service could be provided by using the resources on frequent reliable shuttle services to get people to the trams and trains.

You have the same thing on a national scale with Bus Eireann duplicating Irish Rail services. Competition is a fine thing but not when it's between two companies in the same group.
Would you care to indicate which routes you're referring to?
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2017, 23:26   #8
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,937
Default

Quote:
You can see why there is resistance towards producing overall maps. There is absurd duplication between a lot of the train and tram services and the bus routes. Some of the best bus routes in the city are serving areas already well served by rail.

This is a huge waste of resources - a much better overall service could be provided by using the resources on frequent reliable shuttle services to get people to the trams and trains.

You have the same thing on a national scale with Bus Eireann duplicating Irish Rail services. Competition is a fine thing but not when it's between two companies in the same group.
As a transport user I couldn't think of anything worse than a shuttle to a station and then a train. Take way longer than existing bus service and put people back in cars. Yes there is some scope but nothing major.

As for BE, I don't really think they are duplicating that much, aside from the big points on a route they are not and given the pricing difference there will always be a market for a bus along at rain corridor.

BE problems go much deeper to the route of the problems.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2017, 15:25   #9
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer
 
Colm Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,430
Default

Have a read of the attached and I'll add any comments and send it on during the week.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dublin Area Train and Tram Services.pdf (563.6 KB, 104 views)
__________________
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2017, 21:30   #10
noelfirl
New to the board
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6
Default

I find it quite astonishing that more than 2 years ago the NTA/TFI commissioned an agency to design a comprehensive set of guidelines for the creation of public transport information that would be coherent and unified across various public transport providers:

http://www.transportforireland.ie/transitData/guidelines/Design%20guidelines%20for%20the%20Creation%20of%20 Public%20Transport%20Information_v1.pdf (warning, large PDF)

...and yet, TFI itself is still commissioning and generating maps that don't even come close to complying with these guidelines in any shape or form. Wonderful use of money, that.
noelfirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2017, 08:31   #11
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Celbridge
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
As a transport user I couldn't think of anything worse than a shuttle to a station and then a train. Take way longer than existing bus service and put people back in cars. Yes there is some scope but nothing major.

As for BE, I don't really think they are duplicating that much, aside from the big points on a route they are not and given the pricing difference there will always be a market for a bus along at rain corridor.

BE problems go much deeper to the route of the problems.
Actually I use a shuttlebus to and from Hazelhatch station. I would not be bothered driving - it saves me a fortune in petrol and carparking charges. I also arrived relaxed for work in the mornings, rather than frazzeled if I drove to work, or arrived in an over crowded bus.

Last edited by grainne whale : 07-02-2017 at 10:16.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2017, 17:30   #12
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,937
Default

Quote:
Actually I use a shuttlebus to and from Hazelhatch station. I would not be bothered driving - it saves me a fortune in petrol and carparking charges. I also arrived relaxed for work in the mornings, rather than frazzeled if I drove to work, or arrived in an over crowded bus.
It works there but I don't see it working across the board. Train/bus passengers are very different people.

Anyway didn't you give up getting the train or have they tempted you to stay...
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2017, 17:45   #13
D08Dave
New to the board
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Are these maps going to be displayed on trains, trams and at stations?

The current IE maps on Dublin services and at stations are awful and seem to be designed in a dimension to fit the advertising poster frames on trains. Surely these maps could be printed and put on the walls within carriages or on the glass panels that separate the standing and seating areas on Dart and Commuter trains

Also, someone mentioned the design guidelines that TFI have published for provision of public transport information. When are we going to see some of this actually displayed at stations? The lack of consistency in information across the Greater Dublin transport system is ridiculous
D08Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2017, 17:49   #14
D08Dave
New to the board
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4
Default

The Dublin Train and Tram map appears to show quite a distance between Tara Street Station and the Abbey Street and Trinity Luas stops. These are walkable connections and perhaps could be shown on the map if Tara Street was better positioned.
D08Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2017, 09:14   #15
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Celbridge
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
It works there but I don't see it working across the board. Train/bus passengers are very different people.

Anyway didn't you give up getting the train or have they tempted you to stay...
I had to make my mind up - whether I got 67X straight to the office door (very over crowded) or stay on the train and have my 20min walk to the office each morning (40mins) each day - I chose the healthier option.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2017, 00:05   #16
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer
 
Colm Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelfirl View Post
...and yet, TFI itself is still commissioning and generating maps that don't even come close to complying with these guidelines in any shape or form. Wonderful use of money, that.
Funding.

I took part if a project for Cork City bus stops, where the signs generally do comply.
__________________
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2017, 11:34   #17
noelfirl
New to the board
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
Funding.

I took part if a project for Cork City bus stops, where the signs generally do comply.
Sorry, perhaps to clarify - I mean in the sense that this Dublin Rail & Tram map was made during mid/late 2016. The guidelines for designing maps, timetables, etc. have been in place since 2014. My question is why weren't the guidelines in place used to inform the design of this particular map.

i hope it's not the case that the design agency that will have actually made the map told them that they needed to pay more in order for their own design guidelines to be used. That quite frankly would be ridiculous.
noelfirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2017, 14:02   #18
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer
 
Colm Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,430
Default

I strongly suspect it was done in-house or an ordinary graphic designer, not a dedicated agency with experience with transport maps.

The NTA only has about 35 staff.
__________________
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2017, 14:59   #19
noelfirl
New to the board
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Other previous maps have been commissioned to an external agency (Pindar), and there are similarities in this one to those maps.

Either way, internal or externally done, if they've gone to the trouble of commissioning guidelines, they should be adherent to them, particularly on occasions when they are in direct control of the information/maps. If the NTA itself isn't bothering to try and follow it's own guidelines, how can it corral the transport providers to do so?
noelfirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2017, 16:23   #20
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer
 
Colm Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,430
Default

Luas have published a map for use when Luas Cross City opens.

http://www.luascrosscity.ie/news/dec...s-network-map/
__________________
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:39.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.