Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-11-2008, 18:34   #1
Derek Wheeler

Chalk it up if you want, but apart from what Ive said already, the world and its mother knew the late night Portlaoise service was coming. I was told that last year in the Connolly Fastrack office of all places!

Sorry Tom, this one doesn't wash with an old warrior like me.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-11-2008, 11:06   #2
Sealink

If IE have been planning this for the last year, then they had ample opportunity to announce it, including after the Tribune article. But to do so would be seen to be reacting to that, which, I understand, IE can't be seen to do.

I don't think RUI can be accused of spin, because this service is indeed a reaction to the tribune article.

There's also something vaguely threatening about their press release! Anyone else notice that? Maybe it's the grammar... This service will increase the attractiveness of commuting by rail, and look forward to strong support for this extra late evening train from the commuters it will serve.

Otherwise known as use it or lose it!
Sealink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-11-2008, 11:16   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Spot on, they had ample opportunity to completely sink us and IE had a good 2 weeks notice of the article running. The empty train is something we identified, and detailed it to Ken Griffin in the Sunday Tribune its not in the staff timetable.

Now it is true there was no question that a later service to Portlaoise was planned, but the new timetable won't happen till March or April and the circumstances where such that there already was a train running.

We understand passenger numbers are encouraging and Irish Rail have confirmed that a PA is being made on morning trains from Portlaoise to advertise the service. There is another small change in the pipeline which will fix another issue on the Kildare route.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote