Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-12-2011, 13:10   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Arrow The Leap Card Thread

Please use this thread for all leap card issues/experiences
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 13:13   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default Leap cannot add correctly

Despite IBM and HP developing the system they have made a first year computer science error, they can't handle floating point numbers correctly

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-12-10 at 11.46.47.PNG
Views:	3755
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1433

The system is having trouble as it is rounding numbers when it shouldn't
Unread 12-12-2011, 14:32   #3
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

So, if I understand this correctly, those of us on point-to-point tickets have to wait until sometime in 2012 to be able to add credit to our cards for use on the Luas or bus.

Going by the timescales of this project, that will probably be very late in 2012.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-12-2011, 17:20   #4
karlr42

Didn't realise this before, but the card I got delivered in the post this morning is not activated. Attempts to top up online fail and result in the following email:

Quote:
In order to activate your new Leap Card, for your first transaction you will need to Top Up at a Luas Ticket Machine or a Leap Card agent; see www.payzone.ie to find your nearest agent. Once you have Topped Up for the first time you will then be able to use your card as normal, including purchasing online Top Ups.
Which kind of sucks. I'm not going to a Luas stop just for this when I live and work nowhere near a Luas line, and I'm not going out of my way to a shop just for this(as again, the only agents near me are not places I usually shop at).

Just going to shelve the card until it works with IE ticket machines and stick with my IE smartcard for now.

This roll-out is a bit of a joke. Why aren't IE's ticket machines ready?

Last edited by karlr42 : 15-12-2011 at 17:24.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-12-2011, 18:39   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

There is some fuzziness with the list on payzone.ie.

Can people tell us their experiences with buying and topping up, especially at Payzone agents?
Unread 15-12-2011, 19:39   #6
quartz
New to the board

Default Credit expiry

The issue of credit expiry on the Leap card is not covered in the official FAQ on the website.

In response to a direct query, Leapcard Customer Care told me: "The credit will last 24 months on your leapcard after the last usage."
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 17:12   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I can now confirm online top ups now take no more than 24 hours

Topup in the evening and it will be there for collection first thing next day

Bug at Harmonstown has been resolved
Unread 13-01-2012, 12:16   #8
hoopsheff
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
I can now confirm online top ups now take no more than 24 hours

Topup in the evening and it will be there for collection first thing next day

Bug at Harmonstown has been resolved
why is it not instant? seems a bit bizarre that you have to wait 24hrs for credit to be applied to your account!

also is this the integrated ticketing I've heard so much about? seems to be just single use journey use of credit? no monthly/annual options?
hoopsheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-01-2012, 14:04   #9
peter t
New to the board

Anyway you can check your credit on-line? Went to a luas stop to add my first credit. Seem to go through ok but given that it's my first transaction of any kind I'll like to have it confirmed before I plan travelling with it.
peter t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-01-2012, 14:08   #10
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter t View Post
Anyway you can check your credit on-line? Went to a luas stop to add my first credit. Seem to go through ok but given that it's my first transaction of any kind I'll like to have it confirmed before I plan travelling with it.
Create an account, register your card, click on Manage My Profile (at the top right), My Leap Card (menu on the left), View My Leap Card History (in the submenu) and you'll see your topups and travels. It can take some time for details to show up there because they're only loaded overnight (at least for some operators).
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-01-2012, 14:30   #11
peter t
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
Create an account, register your card, click on Manage My Profile (at the top right), My Leap Card (menu on the left), View My Leap Card History (in the submenu) and you'll see your topups and travels. It can take some time for details to show up there because they're only loaded overnight (at least for some operators).
Yeah tried that a few times, but this line just pops up everytime:

The application experienced unexpected problems completing your request. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again later.
peter t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-01-2012, 15:31   #12
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsheff View Post
why is it not instant? seems a bit bizarre that you have to wait 24hrs for credit to be applied to your account!
It's because your credit is not "applied to your account", it's stored on your card. A message is sent overnight to whichever channel you've chosen to collect your top-up from, and as soon as you touch in/out there, your top-up is applied to your card.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-01-2012, 20:22   #13
al2637

Hi,

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but can you top up the Leap card at an Irish Rail ticket machine? I've been using it fine on the buses since Christmas, and used it on the train today, but there isn't an option to top it up at the machines?

There is just a 'rail only' card topup allowed? I put the leap in the card holder and tried to proceed, but it threw up a red warning screen. (which incidentally didn't disappear... did I break the machine?)

There is no indication on any of the menu items that a Leap can be topped up.

Am I missing something?
al2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-01-2012, 20:32   #14
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2637 View Post
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but can you top up the Leap card at an Irish Rail ticket machine? I've been using it fine on the buses since Christmas, and used it on the train today, but there isn't an option to top it up at the machines?
Not yet, but it will be one of the first upgrades.
Quote:
There is just a 'rail only' card topup allowed?
This is the existing Irish Rail smart card.
Quote:
I put the leap in the card holder and tried to proceed, but it threw up a red warning screen. (which incidentally didn't disappear... did I break the machine?)
It stays up for about 30 seconds. If it stays up, the machien will eventually re-set itself.
Unread 18-01-2012, 21:32   #15
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2637 View Post
but it threw up a red warning screen. (which incidentally didn't disappear... did I break the machine?)
The machine did its correct action, it saw a card type it doesn't recognize and it typically puts up an I can't read this card type error.

Colm and I have the unique ability to break the smartcard functionality on the ticket machines (it does require money...) . The equipment vendor rewrote part of the software to ensure the machine could recover. The trigger was akin to an Oceans 13 style slot machine routine a very weird sequence of steps which to our knowledge no passenger has been able to recreate.

We expect that Irish Rail will have leap card top up, leap card top up collection and leap card sales from its machines sometime in February. The RUI test group are likely to be in the know as to where the trial machines are.

A hidden feature on Irish Rail's system is that you can collect a top up made online by simply placing the card in the ticket machines cradle. With that in place, very few people noticed the fact online top up was not instantaneous as any attempt to check a cards balance was preceded by application of any outstanding top-ups.

Luas in comparison will be some months before it can issue leap cards and do top-up collection from a ticket machine as neither feature was provided before on the Luas system

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 18-01-2012 at 21:40.
Unread 15-06-2016, 13:46   #16
OisinDunne
New to the board

Default Schoolchild Fare

From earlier: Effectively the rules are if in school term Mon-Fri (up until sometime after 16:30) and before 13:30 Saturday the card charges schoolchild fares

I just asked why my childs fare wasn't reduced for last weekend and I was told that IR have done away with the Saturday time....when did this happen does anyone know??
OisinDunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-06-2016, 14:49   #17
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There was a recent change to the charging file for Dublin.

Irish Rail states Monday-Friday only and will not work from July 1st through to end of 3 week of August, though this has never been communicated

Quote:
What are the conditions of travel?
Schoolchild fares on DART and Commuter services apply during school term only, until 19:00hrs, Monday to Friday.
http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-ti...e-singlereturn
Unread 16-06-2016, 22:29   #18
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Dublin Bus continues to charge 77c schoolchild fare on Saturdays, as long as you use the validator on the right of the entrance door, and not the drivers machine, which will charge 90c / €1.10, depending on the destination.

So in fact there's an anomaly here:
If an adult uses the automatic validator they will be charged a maximum fare for the journey so must go to driver for a lower fare for a shorter distance.

If a child uses the automatic validator Mon to Fri before 7pm / Sat before 1.30pm they will be charged the lowest fare by using the validator, and be charged more for using the driver's machine.

I bet not many people know that!

The discount of 75c for a child for each subsequent bus journey made within 90 minutes of the previous validation also means that after the first journey, subsequent fares can be 77c-75c=2c, a bus fare probably not seen for about 50 years!

Last edited by Eddie : 16-06-2016 at 22:35.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-06-2016, 22:56   #19
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OisinDunne View Post
From earlier: Effectively the rules are if in school term Mon-Fri (up until sometime after 16:30) and before 13:30 Saturday the card charges schoolchild fares

I just asked why my childs fare wasn't reduced for last weekend and I was told that IR have done away with the Saturday time....when did this happen does anyone know??
To my knowledge it hasn't been done away. Feel free to make a complaint to Irish Rail and info@nationaltransport.ie

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/pub...eterminations/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Determination No. 4 2014 – Determination of Child Fares on Public Transport in the Dublin Area and Regional Cities, June 2014
7. Determination by the Authority
The Authority having considered the four options as outlined above in some detail has determined that option C Dispense with Scholar fares, increase Child age to 18 and retain Schoolchild variant is to be the fares determination. The Authority has further determined that the Schoolchild fare will be available during school terms on Monday to Friday up to 19:00 and on Saturday up to 13:30.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 18-06-2016 at 23:23.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2016, 21:22   #20
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Last week I found a leap card, so I checked to see if it had a value on it at a Dart station to see if it was worth reporting as lost. It had a credit of €12.31 on it, so I sent an email to Leap Card and after a couple of days I got an email back thanking me, but that it had already been reported as lost and had been replaced.

Just for interest, I checked its value this morning and I expected it to have been cancelled with no value, with the credit being transferred to the owner's new card. Instead, it still had credit balance of €12.31.

What's going on?
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote