Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Galway - Limerick - Waterford - Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-09-2010, 13:38   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default Waterford Rosslare to close

Its with great regret that I report that the NTA board meeting has just ended and the decision is to close the line

We are waiting on a full statement from the NTA
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 14:40   #2
ThomasJ

Thumbs down

indeed
http://www.nationaltransport.ie/news.html
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 14:51   #3
ThomasJ

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/...ew&news_id=765

was quick to go up. So they are going to work with bus eireann now? pity they couldn't have done it when people in dundalk, drogheda were without rail services
Unread 03-09-2010, 17:01   #4
neoncircles

What a farse. Just shows IE can get their way with anything.
neoncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 19:37   #5
corktina
Regular Poster

amazing to be shutting lines with a Green party in the Governament!

Wheres next then?

Limerick to Ballybrophy?
Waterford to Limerick Junction?
Wexford to Rosslare?
corktina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 20:19   #6
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by corktina View Post
amazing to be shutting lines with a Green party in the Governament!

Wheres next then?

Limerick to Ballybrophy?
Waterford to Limerick Junction?
Wexford to Rosslare?
If even Wexford to rosslare.......

What worries me was cies reference to privatising rosslare Limerick and rosslare greystones on morning Ireland earlier today ie wanting a private company to come in.

A tiny bit of positive from this it's Joe ryans comments on boards It's good to see the option of a private company coming in at this stage anyone could do better than ie,

Otherwise a complete an utter farce. Would love to see this being challenged.
Unread 04-09-2010, 20:38   #7
haddockman
Regular Poster

Someone mentioned a judicial review may be possible as the method of closing my be unlawful. Is there anyone around with a large wallet willing to pay?

I reckon that the barrow bridge will have a stop order on it fairly fast and that will ensure the line remains closed for ever.
haddockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 22:30   #8
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=765
Quote:
UPDATE Waterford to Rosslare rail line services by Corporate Communications

Iarnród Éireann has been advised by the National Transport Authority that the NTA has approved Iarnród Éireann’s application to suspend services on the Waterford to Rosslare line. Iarnród Éireann will implement this subject to the conditions detailed by the NTA.

Iarnród Éireann will now work with Bus Éireann to establish the replacement bus schedule, and will confirm as soon as possible to customers the date on which rail services will be suspended, and replaced by the additional Bus Éireann services. It is expected that this transition will be completed during the month of September 2010.
Unread 05-09-2010, 01:32   #9
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

haddockman - read the reports. I wonder how much money IE will save in actuality if it keeps to the letter of its commitments to line maintenance.

For the people of South Wexford's sake I would like to see the issue noted with respect to the Passage East ferry resolved. I have taken the ferry (a long time ago) and while I can understand the locals not wanting full size buses through a narrow village, the 28 seater seems like a decent compromise especially when it is a public transport service and not merely a tour bus.

What I regret about the NTA's document is that it did not obligate BE to operate all Waterford services to Waterford Station if coming in along the quay (so far as I can see at any rate). If BE and IE were not "sister companies" you could have seen IE in partnership with a private operator and giving BE a run for their money on Waterford-New Ross-Rosslare. This is not a "replacement service" when it forces a walking transfer to access the rail network.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 16:42   #10
Alan French

I have looked through the NTA’s report, and the thing that strikes me is that they are repeating some of the flawed logic behind the arguments originally used for closing railways. They don’t seem to have some of the basic expertise in how the market for public transport works (but then, at lot of people haven’t).

The theory was always that buses could do the job adequately at lower cost. The NTA are using the same old arguments about buses being more flexible and having lower running costs – now they can add to that by saying there will be less emissions. What actually happened in the past was that less people used the replacement bus, since some now went by car and others travelled less often. So the result was more car journeys, less travelling overall, and perhaps not even a saving in public funds.

Connecting traffic on the adjoining lines was also lost. Closures undermined the system as a whole. See how the NTA were dismissive of the SERA’s including the whole route to Limerick Junction in their study – which shows that they don’t realise how inter-dependent each line is on its adjoining lines. (I have elaborated on this in Galway <---> Limerick: The slowest train in Europe? #15.)

Do you notice that the same arguments about buses being cheaper and more flexible, and the roads being so much better now, could be used to justify the closure of many other lines in Ireland? And I don’t just mean Galway-Limerick; on several of the radial routes their line of reason would justify replacement by buses.

There are also implications for introducing frequent train services where there is already a parallel bus route. Trains and buses tend to develop distinct but overlapping markets, because trains have a better record at getting people out of their cars. The growth in inter-city buses hasn’t destroyed the market for the parallel railways – even when the buses are faster.

Notice the contrast: the NTA’s argument is that buses will do the existing train’s job adequately. The SERA focuses on untapped potential (as we have been doing). We could put the question this way: since increased frequency has been so successful on other routes (both rail and bus), why single out certain routes for not getting an increased frequency? If you say that the radial routes are obvious cases whereas Rosslare-Waterford isn’t, then I would say that today’s high frequencies on other routes (hourly or two-hourly) would have been dismissed as ridiculous 40 years ago. “Where would you find the passengers,” people would ask mockingly.

I write this because the NTA is obviously not familiar with these lines of reason. This isn’t surprising; anyone familiar with economics and business generally, but not experienced in public transport, is likely to hold the same set of mistaken assumptions that led to the earlier closures. We have job on our hands educating people about this.

Meanwhile, on the matter of the closure notice: IR are planning to go ahead with the closure on the basis of their earlier notice. I understand that the details of the alternative bus service are a legal part of the notice. Now they say they are entering negotiations with BE. Are they not legally obliged to go with the timetable they have already announced, or else issue a new notice and wait two months? Does anyone know?

A point no one has mentioned: at present I reckon that the train from Rosslare also runs the 12.30 Waterford to Limerick Junction and its return journey at 15.10. What will happen to these?

I don't think it's time to give up yet. There could still be pressure at political level.
Alan French is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 22:31   #11
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan French View Post
and the roads being so much better now
But has Rosslare-Waterford got much better? While a few short sections of road have been widened, there has been no major improvement since the Wexford Bypass, opened about 1988. Although the Waterford Bypass does marginally affect things as less traffic is coming in through Ferrycarraig. There is the issue though that traffic expands to fill available road capacity.
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:17   #12
dowlingm

On Morning Ireland the Information Minister rubbished the notion that more services builds ridership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Fearn
‘Frequency of service is very, very low. When I came here I got out the working timetable and I thought: Where’s all the trains!? Five to Galway a day! Even Cork has 2 1/2 hour gaps between trains. We have to ramp up frequency. The very positive stance of the Irish government means we have the opportunity to do this.
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:27   #13
dowlingm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan French View Post
I reckon that the train from Rosslare also runs the 12.30 Waterford to Limerick Junction and its return journey at 15.10. What will happen to these?
Hopefully, the 2700 gets redeployed to a Carlow-Waterford commuter or Clonmel-Waterford commuter and continues as before. (Preferably not sitting on its ass in Waterford for 3 hours).

However, the Limerick Junction-Waterford section is cleared for 3 car 22Ks so maybe one of the Dublin-Waterford sets gets used pending the next swing of the axe.
Unread 09-09-2010, 19:46   #14
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

http://irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=900
Quote:
Waterford to Rosslare line - service termination and bus replacement details by Corporate Communications

Waterford to Rosslare Europort line rail services will continue operating up to and including Saturday 18th September.

From Monday 20th September, rail services will be terminated, and customers can avail of the new Bus Éireann schedule operating from that date – full timetable details below.

Existing rail season tickets will be accepted on bus services, and fares on the Bus Éireann services will replicate existing rail fares.

Iarnród Éireann and Bus Éireann thank customers for their cooperation with these arrangements.

Please click here for the Bus Éireann Timetable http://www.irishrail.ie/upload/370.pdf
Unread 12-09-2010, 17:36   #15
iknowwhereiamgoing
New to the board

Angry Waterford to Rosslare Closure

Very bad new indeed. The commitment to maintain this line in order that it could be reopened if conditions improve. Does that mean letting the line deteriorate to the condition of the Midleton - Youghal line. In which case the whole line would have to be rebuilt at great cost. Is there a commitment to send a weed killing train down the line to keep it clear of weeds. Why have I.E. given up on trying to attract frieght to the railway? Why no attempt to trial a decent timetable on this line and others? Do they not take into account the green benefits of railways. If Railways were run strictly on profit and loss there would be little or no railways left. This is one of Irelands most scenic lines, why no thought given to heritage use. What a boost for tourism. No thinking outside the box.
iknowwhereiamgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 18:58   #16
Alan French

I would actually say the closure is not really a matter of profit and loss. Comparing income and revenue for one part of the system is misleading, because it doesn't take into account the inter-dependence of all parts of the rail network.

If IR were really commercially competent, they would run a more frequent service on the whole corridor from Rosslare to Galway, so that each part would contribute connecting passengers to the radial lines from Dublin. That could well cover the fixed costs associated with running these lines.

It is sad to see that in 2010 there are still people who will quote income and revenue figures for separate parts of the system, and fool some people into thinking that taxpayers' money is being saved by the closure. This is deceptive, and should really be called fraudulent accounting.

Here's a thought. If an independent company gets to run the line, they will presumably run trains to suit connections with IR trains at Waterford (for both lines). IR will benefit, whether they like it or not!
Alan French is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-09-2010, 11:42   #17
corktina
Regular Poster

i don't think thwere will be many (and less in the future) passengers willing to take a stopping train in the wrong direction only to stand on a cold platform waiting for a connection when they could stay in their cars and get there quicker AND cheaper. The Motorway Age will be a big problem for many Irish Rail lines.
Unread 13-09-2010, 20:43   #18
iknowwhereiamgoing
New to the board

Angry

If there is a decent and frequent timetable, proper connections to the rest of the network then people will use the line. Just because there are motorways that does not mean that everyone will dersert the railways. If however, there is a sparse timetable, trains that run at times that are not convenient for the traveller and poor conections then that sort of thing will drive passengers to their cars. We must not give up on this line or the railways in general. If they are Properly run and managed thet will prove their worth. These lines survived the 1970's and 80's when railways were not in vogue and were unappreciated by many people. I can't believe that lines are being closed in this so called green age. No one has made any real effort to run or promote this line properly. Not only is the line a vital part of the network but also very scenic, think tourism, think a regular steam hauled special like that run in the Highlands of Scotland. To agument the regular service. Also the amount of frieght carried on the network is an absolue discrace.
iknowwhereiamgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2010, 11:02   #19
corktina
Regular Poster

Freight: well, what flows would you suggest there might be over this line?

As far as I can see , freight works best with a bulk haul over a long distance.Ireland has neither of these as being an island the distance to the nearest port is very small and the capital is roughly half way up the country.With the rapidly improving roads, Trucks are becoming even more likely to be used instead of Rail.

Passenger: the flows that Rail does best are Commuter services (mostly Dublin with limited scope in Cork and maybe elsewhere) and InterCity, which in Ireland means Dublin to Cork and Belfast and a limited scope for Dublin to Galway Limerick Waterford and Sligo .Limited? well yes, with single track you are never going to compete with Motorways;even Cork and Belfast services won't match them
Unread 14-09-2010, 16:54   #20
ccos

Lots of people don't have cars (or may have their car unavailable) and have to use a train no matter how good the road is.
People who want to drink can't (shouldn't) drive and would like a train bring them home.
Cities and towns have finite car space, if everybody drives there they wont all fit in.
Its nice to go on holidays without the expense of airport parking
Tourists dont always hire cars.

There are many reasons why people have to use railways.

Railways are not in competition with motorways.
Countries with better motorways than Ireland typically have have better railways.
Some African countries have a policy of not improving roads parrallell to major railroutes (Trans-Gabon and the Dakar-Bamako railway spring to mind) this has not detered people that have cars from driving or led to a fantasic rail service.

A frequent well timetabled route with good onward connections is what makes a railway work.

When IE announced said they were withdrawing passenger services on the route my feeling was they already had as 6 return Trains per week does not constitute a service.
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote