Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-08-2009, 17:40   #1
zag
Regular Poster

Default Online fares ?

Are there any online discounted fares available on this line ?

According to here - http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/...ew&news_id=402 - "Iarnród Éireann is delighted to announce this Summer even lower one-way fares on all routes from €10 only" but they don't have any prices listed for Rosslare.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 17:44   #2
zag
Regular Poster

Hmm, maybe I am looking at the discounted fares . . . €22.50.

I tried pricing up a single to Kilcoole and using my short hop for the remainder of the trip, but Rosslare to Kilcoole costs more (€34) than going on to Dublin on the same train.

z
Unread 04-08-2009, 17:58   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There are certainly 10 euro day return fares available on the Rosslare line http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/...ew&news_id=454

No online sales yet, but there will be post Sept 27

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 04-08-2009 at 18:00.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 20:26   #4
zag
Regular Poster

OK Mark- thanks for that.

It looks like discounted fares on that line only go as far as Gorey for the moment. I don't mind paying €22.50, but if I could get it cheaper I would.

There's something weird about the pricing on that link you sent. They say that a normal day return Gorey-Dublin is €16.80, yet if I ask it for a single for that route it tells me the price is €16.80. A single is the same price as a day return . . . now if I was a customer looking at their booking engine, there is nothing to tell me that I can get a day return for the same price. They should really be telling people about these fares on the booking page (in my opinion).

z
Unread 05-08-2009, 06:57   #5
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Is there any way to book discounted online fares without reserving a seat?

I wanted to book one of the €20 return fares from Cork to Killarney, but as far as a I could see, it was only available if you made a seat reservation. Problem is, the direct trains don't have seat reservations. So, it seems you get forced into making a change at Mallow just to secure the lower fare, even if the train time or connection doesn't suit.

In fact, from what I could see, it only worked between Cork and Mallow if that leg was on a Cork-Dublin train and not a Cork commuter train. That really restricts the possibilities of booking the fare.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 08:34   #6
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

comcor: your concerns about seat reservations may be un-necessary. Last month I booked two intercity journeys and on both occasions reserved a seat. There was no charge for this (the only add-on was the €2 credit-card charge). I am a bit mystified about the €3 seat reservation charge which is displayed when you click on the fare enquiry button. Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but this seems to be a charge if you are just reserving a seat and not buying a ticket, for example if you already have a return ticket and wish to make sure you get a seat on a busy service.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 08:38   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
So, it seems you get forced into making a change at Mallow just to secure the lower fare, even if the train time or connection doesn't suit.
There is a discounted day return between Killarney and Cork which should be 20-21 euro, it can be bought Mon-Thurs + Sat at the booking office in Killarney and should be valid on any combination of trains

Since the 22k fleet has taken over the Kerry line online reservations should be possible on all services
Unread 05-08-2009, 09:59   #8
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Thanks for that

I didn't realise the fares were available at the station too; I thought it was online only.

However, there don't seem to be reservations available on the trains between Mallow/Cork and Kerry in the system at the moment.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg reservation.jpg (60.7 KB, 1988 views)
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 10:02   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I said should be possible, it just Irish Rail haven't switched the facility on yet

Incidentally due to rolling stock rosters, reservations would not be available on Monday or Wednesday anyway even if they where provided
Unread 05-08-2009, 10:04   #10
ThomasJ

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zag View Post
OK Mark- thanks for that.

It looks like discounted fares on that line only go as far as Gorey for the moment. I don't mind paying €22.50, but if I could get it cheaper I would.

There's something weird about the pricing on that link you sent. They say that a normal day return Gorey-Dublin is €16.80, yet if I ask it for a single for that route it tells me the price is €16.80. A single is the same price as a day return . . . now if I was a customer looking at their booking engine, there is nothing to tell me that I can get a day return for the same price. They should really be telling people about these fares on the booking page (in my opinion).

z
As long as you do don't buy them at any Maynooth line TVM you should be grand!
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote